Customs: Classics Nemesis Prime - need advice

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Nephilim_Prime, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Nephilim_Prime

Nephilim_Prime Member

So I've decided to try my hand at kitbashing Classics Prime to Nemesis Prime, and have a few questions I've not been able to find a definitive answer to.

First, I've heard some people say that dying the classics line seems to warp them badly. Is this something to do with their plastic, or just too high of a temperature on the part of the kitbasher?

Most places seem to recommend acetone and dye mixed... but never really mention the proportions. How much acetone to water do you use when mixing the dye?

Next, I've heard both that you CAN and that you CAN NOT dye clear plastic (like Prime's door parts, and his leg-side-plate-thingies. Which is it?

Since this particular fig is $20, I'd like to be as informed as possible before starting.

Thanks!

2. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I'm not sure about dying it, but, I've done more than enough Classics Primes repaints now to help out if I can..I've also heard you can indeed dye the clear plastic..I just haven't tried it. There's also transparent paint, which I have, but as of yet, haven't tried..Then there is the version i use..A good ol' sharpie marker! Works great, does fine lines..And holds great!

3. Nephilim_Prime

Nephilim_Prime Member

I thought about painting it, but am a bit intimidated by the whole "needing to file parts down so they still fit together after being painted" thing. My plan (I think) is going to test-dye a piece, and if it works, dye the rest, and paint the details on. I've got plenty of experience painting things... just not things with moving parts. I'm just not sure if I'm skilled enough yet to try that.

4. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I've found, as long as you don't load the paint on, like in thick layers, it holds ok..And you can also use the spray finish as well, which helps.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I've not once seen someone actually DYE clear plastics. transparent paint, yes. future floor finish mixed with food coloring, yes. dye? nope.

6. JD

JD Well-Known Member

So has anyone actually made transparent blue plastic red?

7. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And again, red permanent sharpie marker, works great too.

8. Nephilim_Prime

Nephilim_Prime Member

That really does look awesome. I'm sold :p 

9. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Just another word of advice..Marker it last. Any liquid paint can of course reactivate the ink and make it run..Although it holds up just fine once you've sprayed finisher on it. It doesn't run from that either. If you don't soak it of course.

10. Nephilim_Prime

Nephilim_Prime Member

Awesome! Thanks for the help... the windows were the part I was most puzzled over. Just wouldn't be the same without that red tint!

11. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Serious? I would've thought red would, you know, make it purple. Still, good ol' Magnus is get get this treatment :D 

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    it just depends. if you barely coated red on it, it would look purple. It also depends on how much tint is in the plastic to begin with. for example, its easy to turn the transparent green parts of classics megs wings and eyes red since the tint is so light.

13. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    I've only tried dying clear plastic a couple of times. It gives it a very light tint. Nothing as dark as Sami's pictures, though.

14. Nephilim_Prime

Nephilim_Prime Member

Holy CRAP, Sami... I just did my Prime's window-piece. It came out AMAZING. Thank you so much for such an awesome tip! I would never have thought to try that.

15. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Welcome:) 

16. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Remember, you can do a few coats of, well, marker ink, to get it at the right tone you want, and for a more consistant look to it.