Minor/Repaint: Classics Microburst w/ Added Articulation

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by REDLINE, May 11, 2008.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    **DISCLAIMER** Seeker IS purple, but its hard to show that in a super-white

I bought myself several extra seekers well over a year ago, when Classics first came out. My intention was to make any seekers that Hasbro didn't release. Thankfully, I was patient, and Was able to find out about the BotCon set JUST before I was about to go forward with my plans. Thanks to that set, I was only missing a few: Sunstorm, Black Starscream, and Ghost Starscream.

As you know, Ghost Starscream isn't exactly something I can whip up, as that involves casting and molding to pull off. Well, I already made a Black Starscream, and While that should only leave Sunstorm, thanks to this BotCon, we now know that Sunstorm is a very strong possibility as a store-exclusive sometime over the next year. That being said, I decided to use some of my other extra Seekers to make some "new" ones. I wanted to make myself some Rainmakers! Well, Here's our purple villain, and don't worry, the green devil is not very far behind(already a WIP ;) ).

I didn't' want to simply do a repaint, as my fleet is already a heft size, so I wanted to make these guys unique. Since BotCon Dirge isn't modified from a normal Ramjet, merely repainted... I thought I'd modify the wings like you'd expect from Dirge. I took it a step farther and did one little tweak to this mod that only affects robot-mode. A normal "Dirge mod" involves cutting the vertical fins off, and the angled section of the wings off, gluing the angled pieces at 90 degree angles on the wings, and then gluing the tails as Canard wings at the front. In robot-mode, this makes the Canards hanging down, looking like they're still a part of the main wing parts that hang on the legs. Well, I cut the arm that the front wing parts attach by so they can rotate in reverse of how they were intended, thus making the Canards up high and behind the shoulders for a unique look.

[ATT]6479[/ATT]
    [ATT]6480[/ATT]
    [ATT]6481[/ATT]
    [ATT]6477[/ATT]
    [ATT]6478[/ATT]

The color I've used for this custom is Krylon X-metals purple, a two-part paint. first is a base metallic coat, then the candy purple over top. I gotta give plowking props for suggesting this paint when I was telling him about being unhappy with the purples I've found. The highlights are brand-new Testors One-Coat "Diamond Dust", and Krylon Fusion Semi-gloss black. I loved the purple, its so pretty in person, and I really had a hard time trying to show it off in photographs. I wanted to keep this finish, so I clear-coated him with Testors One-Coat "Wet-Look" clearcoat.

[ATT]6482[/ATT]

I did do one other modification, and I actually think I'm the first. :)  I've been working on planning out a Classics Superion for quite some time now, and I had most of it all figured out except that I was unhappy that I'd be missing arm-rotation in Gestalt mode. Yes, that means I plan to heavily modify seekers. shhhh ;)  Anyway, I finally figured it out, and this bugger was my first "test" of my theory, and he passed with flying colors. I looked at the hinge on the back of the robot and noticed two of the rotating parts were only rounded on one side, so I chopped the corner off and so the butt plate can now swivel up. I then chopped off the feaux waist plate, cut out two little squares, and glued a super tiny peg in the cut-out. I then glued two square parts that had one side cut off(think sideways U-shape) to the torso so they lined up with the square cut-outs in the waist plate, and now it too can swivel up. This gives me clearance.

The actual waist mod is extremely simple. There's a screw that comes in from the back that screws the part that has the waist balls on it. Leaving that in place to hold the part where it goes, I drilled a tiny hole up from the bottom and through the torso part. I then removed this horizontal screw and ran it into the new vertical hole from the top, down in the groove of the torso piece. The waist piece can now rotate on this screw, and the butt and waist plates being able to flip up allow the legs room so you can rotate him as far as you want!

[ATT]6483[/ATT]
    [ATT]6484[/ATT]
    [ATT]6485[/ATT]
    [ATT]6486[/ATT]

I don't have an actual Bio worked up for him, but his name fits his look AND his personality. He's so fast that the Sonic boom is so violent its like a Microburst. He's arogant and self-centered, with an extremely short fuse, so even his temper is like a Microburst.

Attached Files:

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Nice. That is a beautiful color. HaWt!!!!

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn son, that's hella tight!

4. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    that's pretty damn cool!

5. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Thanks for the comments, guys. He was a blast to make! :)  I still think the next one will be better. hehehe ;)  He'll be more unique, at least.

6. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Question, Redline. How long did it take the X-metals to cure? Same 7 day period as Fusion?

7. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    That is fantastic REDLINE!....and you're right...it still looks wet!

Fancy stuff there bud :thumb 

8. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    very nice.....looking forward to seeing your combiner though

9. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    That's cool. Sorta reminded me of Odd Ball.

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Oh my word, that's gorgeous. Heh, from the photos he looks like a real Disco King! I'd love to somehow see what he looks like more realistically. Have you considered taking some outdoor shots just so we can see his colours in more natural light?

And the waist mod's fantastic. You just know I've got to try that now... :p 

Blimey - not just a Go-Bot, but a free fast food chain Go-Bot! You really know how to insult a mech... :lol 

11. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Geez!!! Wikked paint job!!! Smart modifications!!
    That's super nice Redline!!!

12. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    He looks really cool. I like the wings near/behind his shoulders- definitely sets him apart. I think we'll be wanting to see a waist mod tutorial from you done the line. :D 

13. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Nice job! He's gonna look good with Universe Acidstorm. He's quite shiny, too. KUTGW!

14. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sweet, man! Another great custom from one of the best...

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    That's a sweet color there RL. I used that string of paints on a current WIP (UM) for the red armor paints...it's some cool stuff. It's like a transparent paint, and it's cool cause it runs off the highlights and seeps into the details, it's like wash/base coat/highlighting paint apps all in 1 spray.

16. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    that is a really tight custom

17. REDLINE

News Credits:

the can says 5 days. You spray the base coat and only wait 30 minutes. you can recoat every ten. when you're done give it a day before you handle it (just to be safe, its so shiny a fingerprint you'll not be able to hide). I clear-coated it on day 3, so that both would be cured at the same time.

18. REDLINE

News Credits:

oh wow, ewww. :lol  he looks nothing like that! that's straight hot pink man, this guy is purple!

19. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Thanks. Once again, another kick ass custom!

20. REDLINE

News Credits:

Yes, this is pretty much all the thoughts I had running through my mind when I first sprayed it too. hehehe It really is sharp! I'd like to see what all their colors look like in person, but you're the first I know of that has used another one of them. Can't wait to see how it looks.