Classics Megatron...

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Razerwire, Sep 29, 2006.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol  SOON. I have all the black and bare metal silver done, and most of the reds too. I will finish painting tomorrow afternoon, and clear coat it before bed, so that I hope to reassemble him the day after!

2. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Absolutely marvelous. Megs FINALLY has a good looking gun mode, and it's fun to play with. I can see why Hasbro was so concerned about making sure the colors scream "TOY GUN" -- because it's next to impossible not to pick this thing up and start making gun poses (not to mention shooting targets through the scope).

While the wings do qualify him as a shellformer, they're really only half the story. The transformation is fun, complex, and inventive -- I had to do it a couple of times to get my head around it, but it makes perfect sense. The sheer size of the scope/proton cannon on his arm is exactly right (though the arms themselves are a bit stubby).

I'm not a big fan of ratchets -- they REALLY limit posability on this figure -- but I can see why (and where) they were needed.

Flipping the wings up so the white side shows does improve his look. The sliding leg plates are a neat touch, but I think he looks better with them down.

This figure is easily the best of the Classics I've gotten so far -- probably the best of the whole wave.

Final Grade: A

-XCN-

3. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Just picked him up today and "OHHHHH MANNNN" this thing is badass. Definately takes Astrotrain's place as my favorite Classics figure. For all the good reasons that have already been stated.

• Like Like x 1
  4. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I know I know, I'm whoring him out :lol 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andy

5. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

Beautiful!

6. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    GUN MODE=FUN MODE!!!!

7. Larkin Vain

Larkin Vain Larkin's Lair

News Credits:
  8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'm pleasantly surprised by how much i like this toy. it is in the same spirit of the original g1 toy, in that it is a neat looking gun that plays like one, yet inexplicably transform into this cool robot.

awsum! *thew, thew, THEW!*

i kinda wish it had lights and sounds tho.

9. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Then he would've been a larger $40 toy! I LOVE the $20 price point for the Leaders!

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    lights and sounds would have hindered his sculpt though. I like classics because they're not designed around gimmicks or trying to work a box of electronics into them.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Simply put, Megatron is -rad-.

I chased the Cat around last night trying to shoot her!

"PEW PEW PEW! PEW PEW PEW!"

12. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    LOL, I just got Megs last night and the first thing I did was blast the cat. :) 

I did some minor surgery on Megs and made his scope removable. I keep it on him most of the time, but for some reason I just like being able to take it off. It's really easy, all you do is remove the two screws that hold his forearm together, take it apart, remove the scope which is held in place by a pin, and screw the forearm back together. The scope snaps into place on his arm so he can still wield it that way.

I also popped the orange cap off his shoulder/muzzle and it looks better without the orange, but the post that's underneith doesn't really look like the end of a gun, so I may need to add something to it or paint the orange cap black.

Overall Megs is a great toy and looks really nice. My single gripe is the wings because there aren't many customizing options with them other than repainting.

13. REDLINE

News Credits:
    just dye the orange parts with black RIT dye.

14. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Megatron is much better than I thought he would be. Whoever thought of that screwy transformation inside the shell should either be given a big raise or hauled off in a straight-jacket.

He has more "homage" touches than you might think -- the head, except for the unibrow, is dead on G1, (Yay! no horns!), he has his BFG, and it's even in a better position for poseability, and he has the hammer sticking out of one of his shoulders.

A nice little touch is that he has a feed belt on the rightside of his midsection that looks like it feeds the fusion cannon. (Since when did that thing need bullets, anyway?) Not the best on my favorites list for two reasons: The green wings that I face the grey side forward in 'bot mode, and the orange parts that I HAD to paint black. I certainly don't plan on taking him outside and pointing it at any cops, but it required paint, dammit. A Decepticon leader should not have orange on him.

15. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Finally found Megs today, and man do I love this figure. Totally my favorite Megatron toy to date, love the gun mode (how can you not pick him up and start blasting away at any and all things?!), love the robot mode (yes even his wings, seems regal to me in a way), and best head design on a Megatron toy I've ever seen.

If he had a waist joint to twist I'd give him a perfect 10. As is though, he's without a doubt one of my favorite figures of the year and I'd give him a 9.5 out of 10 (or an "A" for those of you who like letter grades). :thumb  :thumb 

16. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    Uh, that is the hammer, not the safety.

17. Driftbot

Driftbot Well-Known Member

maybe on cybertron that IS the safety?
    :wink: 

but yes the hammer is a nice tribute to G1 megs.
    i cant wait for mine!
    (but like i said, no rush!)

18. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Finally found one without too much sloppiness of the paint apps. He is indeed fun. He will go well with those prototypes we saw a while back, the cell phone, digital camera, and handheld video game.

19. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Finally got one today and I love it!! I agree with the wings must be up so the gray can be seen part. I hate the way the all green wings look.

20. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I've had this guy for a month and never really played with him, until that is I actually tried to photoshoot him.

Few comments, first of all, lousy toy, honestly one of the worst I've bought in a long wile. My biggest issue with him is he's very awkward to stand up and pose. Takes way to much effort to actually keep this guy standing, and to boot he's almost impossible to get into really good poses. And when you do he really only has like one or two half decent poses to put him in. His legs are the worst, much to awkward to position. I also wish his hand cannon was on the other side of his arm, or at least removable, feels like it's in the way all the time. Gun mode's not much better, looks like some cheap oversized Nerf gun, and not even as much fun as it dosint fire anything. Also very poor paint apps, I'm not expecting G1 Megs by any means but this paint just does not do it for me, just so blah....

Overall this guys just one big clunky mess, blah!