Minor/Repaint: Classics Megatron - WIP [Update: 5.29.10, p.2)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, Nov 19, 2009.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I started this back in early 2008, but just recently went back to finish up some work on it. After seeing Kelvin's Megatron today and spoonman's Megatron custom recently, I've had the urge to finish up on this one also and finally share this up with those that never got to see it. As usual, this project has been in production for over a year and a half now (I REALLY need to keep cranking them out or do one at a time--lol). This was my first major styrene work. While I liked the overall look of Classics Megatron, it just wasn't "G1" enough for my taste. I cut off the old chest just above the hinge and built my own using 3 thick sheets of styrene. I added bits to the chest for more detail and I did my best to cut and shape it all to be more like the G1 Megatron from the toon. I'll update more on this soon with new pics and details. (sorry for the crappy pictures--I used an old digi-cam when I snapped these--new shots should be more clear and detailed). Don't mind the crappy silvery paint job--this was basically a test to see how the mods looked, then I tried to make it look worn a bit (to possibly keep the paint scheme), but it failed miserably. Trust me when I say you guys will dig the new shots MUCH MORE than these old WIP shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The wings are removable (which is why you don't see them in these WIP shots). They will form something similar to what spoonman did (kind of a throwback to the old G1 Megatron's cannon/battle station or whatever you call it).

3. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

Very clean sculpting. Aside from MAsterpiece Megs there hasn't really been a good incarnation of him.

4. spoonman

spoonman I make bots.

Beautiful! I love what you're doing with the legs!

5. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Nice.

6. struecker85

struecker85 Autobot

looks great

7. kelvinchang99

kelvinchang99 Well-Known Member

hXpunk - this is really nice. Well done. The chest looks fantastic. Love the leg as well. I am glad that my work reignited your flame to complete yours. I cant wait to see yours finished. Very good.

8. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Awesome. Cannot wait.

9. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know how I feel about this one.
    I've always loved the details on Classics Megs chest & shoulders.
    I'll be interested to see where you go with this.

10. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Thanks, guys! NP, here's an update that might help sway you one way or the other (I know what you mean though, man--I really did like the Classics chest and the shoulder markings, but I'm a G1 nut, my friend--just had to do it!). lol--either way, I'd love to hear your input on this next set of WIP shots.

Here are some new updates since last night. Any of you that may have seen the old WIP on this before, I've gone back and sanded the chest down (removing the gray primer I had done as a test to see how it could look) and I worked on the head some. I cut the extra bit that bent in the middle of the forehead (just look at the original Classics Megatron to know what I'm talking about). I wanted the helmet more smooth like the old G1 Megatron 'toon look (and most of the artwork we continually see). I also cut down his protruding chin a bit to make it more flat (not smooth, but I may do more). I also cut that "V" shape off that came down between his eyes--making this MUCH more G1-styled now. The shoulders I'm still not sure about--I'll either add some shapes from thin sheet styrene and/or carve some panel lines into it. I decided to change the fist back to its original state and instead, decided to make the fusion cannon removable (like G1 Megs). I did this the same way I did the wings--cut a small notch around the pin so that it now snaps back in when I want to go alt mode with it. now the arm can move and pose much better than before.

I'm considering shaving down the odd circle like section on the side of the fusion cannon (including the Decepticon logo there) so that it will be more trim and not so bulky. BUT, does anyone know if this piece is hollow inside? Either way, I'll more than likely fill it with putty or some thin sheet styrene. I also quickly painted the fusion cannon in flat black (I may go gloss, who knows). I was basically testing to see if I'd like it or not. It has some scuffs and scratches and will definitely be painted again. I also took the front piece off and painted the clear green section with Testors Model Master Acryl Clear Red (also did the back end of the cannon and the eyes, but I then went over the eyes with Testors Acryl Red Gloss so now the eyes sort of glow around the edges when a light source is directly behind it). I also build up the crotchular region and plan to add (or try to) some styrene to the sides to make it more G1-like (only bad thing is those parts might be add-ons or armor bits since the transformation hinges on those hip joints).

Before anyone mentions it, yes, I cut off the trigger because I was originally planning completely different shoulders and gun tips, but I've gone back to the original look (sort of). I plan to build a new trigger from styrene later). Also, the Decepticon symbol/sticker on his chest is not permanent (it's an old one that still had some sticky to it, so I stuck it on to get a feel for how the chest would look with the styrene I've built up on to it and all). I'm going for a silver paint job for the chest (and arms and all). The legs have been painted up to mimmick G1 Megatron (again, to get a feel for the figure as a whole). I do NOT plan on keeping them red on the insides like this--I plan to paint them black and possibly Dark Grey (Tamiya), with some red highlights (a small amount that will be end up on both sides). Still now sure how I'll do those yet though.

Anyway, enough rambling--enjoy the new WIP shots and shoot me some feedback, guys.

Attached Files:

11. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I like the new chest B. Is he still gonna tf into the Nerf gun?....or did I miss a part somewhere?...I ask cause I see the G1 barrel behind him ala G1 style.

12. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Thanks, Eric! He'll still have the Nerf-styled alt mode (I don't think I'm good enough to pull of an accurate G1-styled gun, wish I could though). I plan to hollow out some bits to allow the new chest and all to fit in (hopefully). The G1-styled gun barrel will attach to the shoulder cap and the wings will snap back on and it should all transform the same way the Classics Megs did. Not a huge fan of add-on parts, but I want a G1 Megatron (like the 'toon and artwork I'm using as reference, so I'm cool with a few add-ons here). Not to mention, I was NOT a fan of those wings on his back originally. lol

13. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I saw that too. [​IMG]

I am liking where this is going. All the work you have done so far is great.
    Really digging the red on the legs & the work on the head is looking sharp too.
    I can't help but feel the chest is still to plain. I know your going for a G1 feel,
    and G1 Megs is really light on the details. I can't quiet put my finger on what's missing (IMO).

14. DMcB360

DMcB360 Radicon G2

hey man nice to see more G1 megatron attention. i have an idea that i think his helmet is a tad too tall, you should shave of a few millimeters from the bottom so it isn't flush with his shoulders. also keep in mind if u want the wings to be used in alt mode you really don't need to add much to robot form, just smooth and boxy, you could get away with a plain crotch peice. also i would leave all red inside the legs, it is a distinct trait of G1 megs.

15. rainchang007

rainchang007 Well-Known Member

Haha, inspired by spoonman's costom, I just doing the same job on my classic megatron.

16. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

this is looking awesome bro. i'm loving those legs

17. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Thanks for the input and comments, guys!

Actually, it wasn't entirely inspired by it, but his (and Kelvin's) did help inspire me to finish mine (the first set of WIP shots were taken in early 2008, over a year ago, just never posted it, though some people did get to see some of them long ago). Chalk it all up to us all having the same great ideas, man--and our apparent love of G1. lol (looking forward to seeing yours too, man!)

18. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Thanks for the support on this, guys! Still haven't done anything with the gun mode yet, but I did do some work on the head. I used a hobby knife to shave off the overly robotic areas of the face, then re-sculpted (with the hobby knife and tons of patience) the face to look more G1. I didn't care much for the shape of the helmet either, so I used a metal file to shave off some of the sides of the helmet (upper and lower parts) and built onto it with some thin sheet styrene. I'm still not done with it yet, but I'm close. I'm also in the process of doing some work to the fusion cannon. I'd prefer to use the G1 fusion cannon, but I don't have one handy. So I'm hacking up parts of the Classics Megs cannon--specifically, those HUGE Decepticon symbols (they look tacky and stick out too much on the sides). I'll show some WIP shots on this soon, once I get further along with it.

Here are the head shots--let me know what you guys think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    OK i love the work on that head,now it really does look like G1 Megs.

20. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very cool.