Minor/Repaint: Classics Megatron and Starscream touchups. (SS WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SPLIT LIP, Jul 23, 2008.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Once again I become active in the kitbash scene.

These are just touchups. (that's what I call 'em. Nothing fancy just straight repaints) I did not like Nerf Megs so he was hacked and painted. I went for a Megatron Origin-ish colour sceme (he does have the face) with silver and dark grey. Dry brushing afterwards for the battle worn look. A little bland and stale but more industrial and frankly, anything's an improvement over Nerf Megs.

Starscream is still very much WIP. Originally I just wanted to repaint him for no reason. Still needs decals and stuff.

May go for a warriors paint/tatoos look instead of just straight lines and "decals" on both of them for that regal, almost barbaric yet sophisticated look. What do you guys think? I could use some input to help make them less boring.

So yeah, comments and crits are welcome.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      84.6 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      74.3 KB
      Views:
  2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Starscream = touchup, Megatron = full repaint! they both look nice man, though megs seems just a TAD bit plain with only 2 colors...

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Technically he has three. :lol 

Though yeah, that's why I proposed the idea of tribal 'markings/tats'. I think it would give some much needed colour to Megstron, but also gove me a chance to give SS wing stripes.

4. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    If you're going for the Megatron Orgin look, then maybe i can suggest some of the yellow/black barricade stripes he has in the comics to break up the silver/black monotony. I can't say i agree with the red tribal markings.

5. Christopher-2

Christopher-2 Well-Known Member

The chap who turns into a gun looks absolutely superb, but you should really give Megatron some red parts, because he looks dead. Starscream looks a bit plain. Some blue on his knees and gold high lights would fix that right up.

6. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Diggin the Megs, looks like he lost that last fight.
    Would like some yellow/red though, still...Props!!

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Megatron only had those when he worked in the mines and when he first started out in the galdiator rings. This Megatron is no miner. I really shouldn't call them tribal markings, but if you've read Megatron origin you'd know what I mean.

Also, I like how many people say he looks like he's kinda dead. That's what I was going for. :) 

Also, there will be no yellow on these two. I think yellow looks just terrible with Silver. Gold, maybe but honestly I'm going for a more militaristic (sp? It's late) slash industrial look. They're no going to be colourful fun-time bubs.

thanks. Though Megatron no longer turns into a gun, but a tank. (a kinda half-assed tank. But it looks like a tank and frankly, robot modes are my big issue with guys like these)
    I don't know about blue knees, but gold highlighs might work. Bear in mind since posting this thread I have made one or two more touchups. Though gold might work for any small tech detials.

8. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    I did read, and also own, the issues. Irregardless, even if he had the stripes only in the beginning, it was just a design suggestion. But anyway, its your call if you don't wanna add yellow to it.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Sorry dude, I wasn't trying to be rude or anything, just citing my sources. Sorry if you thought that way.

10. Christopher-2

Christopher-2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you don't have to give the knees on Starscream some blue, but I loved the way it looked on the Revoltech and Henkei versions. I wish you luck and hope to see some alt mode pics. Keep in mind, that the orange plugs on Megatron were made from waxy unpaintable plastic, so be very careful not to handle them too much, the paint will easily chip (I learned this the hard way:banghead: )

11. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    Oh don't get me wrong, you didn't come off as rude. I'm just stating that i do have the issues. Apologies if my response gave you that impression.

In any case, have you decided on anything yet? I'm stumped myself.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Aye, so I cheated. I taped them first then painted. :lol 

13. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I just dyed those parts on mine.

14. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I'm really going for that Starscream. Love how that one came out.

Megatron looks pretty cool too. I think he needs a little red, sure, but I couldn't tell you where it'd work. The first thought is 'inside the legs' like the classic, but I don't think you'd quite get it to work here.

Instead of 'tribal markings,' perhaps some panels here and there hilighted in red? Like those angled stips on the sides of his chest, or that tiny panel underneath the chest's hinge plate. That kinda stuff.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's actually a good idea. I'll try that, since he has a lot of nooks/crannies that he can utilize for colour.

Every time I dye, a Transformer dies. :(  (I can't do it properly)

16. REDLINE

News Credits:
    the whole trick is to be patient. if you have to, remove the parts and reheat the solution, take it back off the heat, and dip the parts again. some few parts are so dense it may take 5-6 times to get something fully black.