Heavy/Scratch: Classics Megatron 2.0

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Omegaonline, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Omegaonline

Omegaonline Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    CC879A53-AE48-4FE0-A329-6344C7373D04.png 96288A4A-E21F-4063-8864-8CB0194549D0.jpeg 4DB94315-4EA7-48A1-9853-FEBA05B6B01A.jpeg
    A while ago, I saw a design for a new Megatron figure, based on the Machinima cartoon.
    Aside from hating pretty much everything about the show, I did think the design for Megatron was awesome. A G1 looking robot and a really slick looking updated weapon alt mode. I was really excited to see how the figure would turn out.
    Then, it kinda disappeared and I couldn’t find it again for a while until I forgot all about it....which is probably a good thing considering the way NBK eventually brought it to market. After only being available as part of a gift set with their Devastator for some time, it then filtered into only one retailer - Oh My Primus, based out of Singapore. A very weird situation.
    Anyway, eventually pictures of the figure turned up on a feed somewhere again and I was really intrigued.
    There still wasn’t a huge amount of info out there about it but it looked like it had potential.
    So, I took the plunge and ordered it. NBK Megatron. The Megatron to finally dethrone United Megatron from my classics collection?
    All in all, NBK M is an awesome figure. Great G1 ish representation in robot mode and the gun mode is actually really good too.

However, there are some bad points.
    Firstly, the backpack. I don’t know what they where thinking with that but thankfully, it’s really easy to remove - unlike classic Megs wings. Just pop the ball joint out and done.
    And, the gun mode still looks good, even without that part attached. So, you can opt for without in both modes or just pop it back on for gun mode.
    After this easy fix, there are a few other issues to try and tackle.
    1. Height. Unfortunately, the figure is somewhere between a deluxe and voyager size. So, he doesn’t quite match up to my Henkei OP. Need to figure out a way to give him a lift.
    2. Face. Not sure what to do about this one but I have seen someone replace the stock head with TR Megs head. That could have potential.
    3. Fusion canon. The stock one is a bit small. So, needs some extra size to get it to where I want it to be.
    4. Hands. The hands are lame. They need to be upgraded but they could be tricky because they are stowed for transformation and space is limited in arm compartment.
    5. Hip skirts things. Cosmetically part of the gun mode but don’t have a good place in robot mode.

That’s it. I think if I can turn these bad points around, I may have a new leader of the Decepticons that is everything I wanted in a Megatron figure.

Hopefully this thread will also help out others who are on the fence about him.
    I know everyone is all about Siege Megs at the moment but for me, this guy is where it’s at.

Here are some pics to get things started.
    The stock figure.
    The figure with some very badly photo shopped changes - extending lower legs and upsizing fusion canon.
    A pic showing NBK M with UM and HOP.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Omegaonline

Instagram:
    FEA34FE6-6763-44BB-9712-ED1E3E038F4C.jpeg
    After messing around with some design ideas today, I finally landed on one that will work for the height adjustment.
    Because the transformation is very innovative and also simplistic, there is nothing too funky going on with the lower legs that can’t end up with something basically being stuck to the bottom and becoming a new ankle.
    The folding that takes place in the foot for transformation is lost but that’s not a big deal to me.
    Leaving the foot as is just looks like an extended stock in gun mode.
    I still need to clean it up and paint but the black ABS works well and I believe it’s actually evened out the figures proportions. He was a bit on the stumpy side before the mod.
    Just printing out the left side now.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Omegaonline

Instagram:
    17AC1136-F381-4386-8CFF-660E0B23CB60.jpeg
    Both lower legs done.
    So, the height issue is now resolved.
    NBK M is standing shoulder to shoulder with HOP.
    The interesting thing about the outside of the lower legs on NBK M is that there are lots of potential attachment points for other mods. This gives me an idea for a second set of mods that could be added to this figure as a kind of power up kit. Anyway, first things first.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. SuperOptimus

SuperOptimus PRIME, Peacemaker

Great project. Looking good.

I also wanted to point out that I love what you've done with the Classics Optimus next to him. The grille upgrade absolutely changes the whole look of him, and the leg mods are great as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nicely done. With just an extra 1/8", he would be a perfect Classics Megatron.

• Like Like x 1
  6. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Looking good so far!

• Like Like x 1
  7. ultraman zoffy

ultraman zoffy Well-Known Member

I was really interested in this Megatron until it ended up that it was deluxe sized, so I'm excited to see how your project turns out!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Omegaonline

Instagram:
    173C0776-082B-4B82-BE43-920E8AD20D23.jpeg
    After a crazy work schedule, I managed to make a bit more progress.
    I removed the stock hip skirts and printed some replacements.
    The more I look at this figure, I am more convinced of how totally awesome it is.
    The robot mode is stellar and the gun mode also looks really cool.
    It actually looks even better after the leg extensions were added.
    I’ll get some alt mode pics done soon but here is the latest update.

• Like Like x 2