Classics Line: The New Bar?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Terradives, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

I am totally in love with this line with a few minor exceptions. Having now got the entire line minus devestator. I just wanted to post my opinons... The Classics line does several things well. So onward with my ramblings that no one will really read.

It brings back the classics characters. Generation 1 badly needed an updating and this line fulfills what many fans have been hoping for since beast wars: articulated Gen 1 figures. While I would have liked to have seen Sideswipe instead of Hot Rod the Autobots have a good selection and variety of alternate modes and compelling characters. Mirage the possible traitor, Cliffjumper Mirage's perfect foil, Grimlock possibly vying for the role of leadership, Jetfire the scientist, Bumblebee the bubbly, and Hot Rod the new recruit. The Decepticons I can't ask any more of the selection here except more waves. Starscream the traitor, Skywarp the prankster, Astrotrain somewhat subordinate, Crazy Ramjet. Titanium Soundwave fills in the gap nicely left by Soundwave.

Classics does not destroy the play value of the toy with gimmicks. These gimmicks are the best gimmicks since beast wars season 1. No crappy sound boxes, no duobots, no obscenely disruptive minicons or energon star devices. The simplicity of these toys are beautiful. The transformation is what it is all about.

The toys are all easy enough for a 6 year old to transform. My daughter transformed bumblee and Starscream this weekend for the first time. She fussed a little and wanted Dad to do it for her, but in the end she got it right all the way. 2nd and 3rd times through were faster.

Size Classes Megatron Optimus and Jetfire are Megas. Everyone else is deluxe. Sure Grimlock could have been made a Mega, but at least we didn't get a Optimus whose enemies only came up to his knees. Bumblebee should have been a basic but more on that later. Save the big sizes for bots with big alternate modes. If they had expanded this line I would have liked to see Ultra Devestator and Superion. (made up of their respective members) Super Omega Supreme and Supreme-classed Fort Max or Metroplex with either Trypticon or Metroplex. Overall godo job though.

What don't I like about this line?

MORE! 3 waves were not enough. This needed a full 8 or nine waves of deluxes with all the mandatory repaints. I find myself now looking back throughthe RID through Cybertron toys thinking of crap all this wasted time. Sure there are a few nice homages... energon Scorponok, Shockwave, Mega Galvatron, All of the Armada Seekers, Rid Prowl, Cybertron Somescreen, and Wheeljack. and there were several nice new characters (Energon Onslaught) but because of the crappy cartoons all of these new characters will be forgotten by myself. A full line would have been nice. We could have gotten Blitzwing, Thrust, Dirge, Thundercracker, Hound, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Trailbreaker, Ratchet, Ironhide, Jazz and of course Prowl and his mandatory repaints in the deluxe size. I would have like to have seen at least Sludge and Shockwave in the Mega waves and Omega Supreme in larger ones.

I fricking hate minicons. I said it after Armada because they totally jacked that line up, and I'll say it again for a different reason now. The gimickry in Armada was just puketastic and to date Armada is the only line that I did not complete. The minicon gimmicks ruined the line, and they are the only real knock I have against the Classics line. Instead of minicons the basics class should have been used. Bumblebee and Cliffjumper should have been basics. With 6 sets of minicons put out, we instead could have gotten 6 basics. My choices would have been Bumblebee, Cliffjumper with new body and head, Brawn, a Laserbeak rumble 2 pack for titanium Soundwave, and 2 of the Insecticons. Or maybe instead of all that Reflector or all 3 Insecticons. In short, I wish they never produced a minicon pack again. The masters series in Generation 1 was allright for back then, but if they had to minicons should only be targetmasters. Why? because they don't come with the bases that the micromasters came with. Those bases were awesome.

Looking foward to the movie? Not really I hate the design asthetic. I plan on replacing any heads of toys I buy with my own sculpts. These new heads don't say transformers to me. I don't know what they do say, but it is not transformers. I hope the movie does just well enough not to bomb the transformers franchise. I don't want more of the movie designs.

I realize this is just 30 something fan boy wishing, but hey Hasbro fed the flame. Maybe sales of classics will do well enough that someone will pay attention. I do not mean to piss off any armada or minicon lovers, just my opinion. So has Hasbro set the new bar?

2. autobotx25

autobotx25 Well-Known Member

i agree with you for the most part and hope they continue making them as a subline or just give production rights to another company to keep making them.

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didnt Hasbro Reps say that if sales were good enough that they would go back to classics after the movie?? I mean, I completely agree with what you guys are saying here, but there is a deffinate possability, isnt there?

4. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I'm in agreement about this line, the positives are really good, updates for G1 charachters were long overdue, although there are a few in the line I didnt quite like and certain charachters I think could have been done a lot better like Mirage, Grimlock and even Cliffjumper, as well as OP and megs, but this is certainly one of the better lines to come out. I myself doubt I'll be buying little if anything at all from the movie line so I do hope this line can continue for a while because I'm not sure I can see myself getting any new TFs in the upcoming future.

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

It's most vertainly the best line in years. My only real complaints are the lack of faction insignias, and no upper leg rotation on most of the deluxes. Any line that can give us something as mindnumbingly awesome as Mirage, needs to continue.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I Know Cosmos Needs to Get Upgraded hasn't had a TM Name is Years also I would Want to The Others too

7. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I'm going to add one thing and disagree with one of the things you've stated. First, the packaging for Classics. This is the first line in AGES where you can take toy out after only one or two twist ties. Amazing. And I feel elated every time.

It's a sign of how bad the twist-tie phenomenon has gotten that the past two Classics I've opened I ended up searching for more twist ties. So much so that I turned the package over and the toy fell out with one of them.

And secondly, I LOVE that this is a short-run line. Now, don't get me wrong, I'd probably snap up any others that they create. But the fact that it's been short-run means that we older fanboys can lap them all up, and we are all left wanting just a little more. I'd much rather see this happen than watch the same thing happen to Classics that happened to Alternators. Alternators was great in the beginning, but the couple every few months philosophy combined with really weird choices in both characters and distribution led to me just giving up completely on it. Why make Classics linger until it dies a slow and painful death? Have it come in, be brilliant, and leave people saying, "Wow, that was awesome."

I love Classics just the way it is. If they make more, great. If not, I'm satisfied with what we've gotten.

8. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I got nothing to say except that I love the line and also wish it had lasted longer. Oh well... I suppose if sales are good, Hasbro will continue it. Hasbro actually listens to fans and listens to sales figures. Right now of course, they are way occupied with the movie. We'll see what happens in December of this year-- if the line returns, I'm betting that's the earliest we'd hear/see protos or bits of news of the line continuing.

Actually, maybe at this year's Botcon we'll get a definite confirmation whether the line will continue or not. Keep your finger's crossed.

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I "heart" this line to death. Have all of them minus the minicons and unreleased devastator. I agree with Night Flame. Let the classics come in and go out with a nice bang. The ALternators died a slow slow death and I am glad the same fate won't happen to the classics.

10. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I agree with the spoiling of figures....but the thing is I WANT to be spoiled! More figures = more happy times!

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

For me, Alternators will always be the "bar" that everything else will be compared to.

For example, the first thing Classics Bumblebee made me think is that he was a "mini alternator".

I know a lot of people don't like alts because they are too complex, all turn into cars, etc (which is precisely the reason I like them), but they are always what I find myself comparing everything else to.

PS: I hope we see more classics as a sub-line later.

12. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I think there's truth to wanting them to leave us wanting just a littlemore. I'd like for them to give the Decepticons some more love and finish off the seekers, though.

13. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Or at least Thundercracker - they NEED to make him!

14. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

I definitely hope that his line continues after the movie dies down. The rest of the triple changers(blitzwing) and fan favs(rachet, ironhide,shockwave) deserve to come into this line.

15. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Me too. I dig Classics but Alts are still my favorites.

One of my biggest issues with the line so far is that the deluxes feel cheap. Looking at the plastic and paint apps, Hasbro obviously cut some corners getting these to market. Oddly enough, the Voyagers don't seem to have this problem.

16. autobotx25

autobotx25 Well-Known Member

they need to make Classics Omega supreme.

17. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I grew up on G1 and of course I am delighted to see the brilliant updates of old characters in the Classics line. They're absolutely terrific.

That said, it's hard for me to say Classics are "better" than anything in Armada, Energon, or Cybertron, and especially not better than Alts or RiD. I love that it's a short, high-quality line... it's been good from start to finish and will go out on a high note.

And frankly, the movie toys are just getting more and more awesome. Classics have been a fun little aside, but out with the old, in with the new, as they say.

18. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I think it's quite easy to say that Classics are better than Armada.

19. PakiroVah

PakiroVah Hasbro's Slave

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing today. They could make it like Universe, with store exclusives and Botcon exclusives.

20. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Classics are great, and what got back in to Transformers. I like that Bumblebee is a deluxe and wasn't part of a "basic" line; the Classics Bumblebee, to me, is the best Bumblebee yet. If only he could have been a bug instead of a hatchback.

I really hope they continue the line at some point, I'd LOVE to see a Classics Shockwave. Since Shockwave has always been a fantasy gun, he should make ffor a good update since he won't have to be totally re-imagined like Megatron was.

I'd say it's tied with Alts as the best current TF series.