Classics line "substitutes"?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by grimlock321, Jan 26, 2007.

1. grimlock321

grimlock321 smashin' bashin' bot

i love the classics line as much as many others but i fear with the movie less than six months away, and toys probably less than four, we may be shorted on possible characters. my point is, which figures from armada/energon/cybertron do you use to fill in some of the open ranks? myself im using cybertrons blur and energons wheeljack.

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    well, i know there have been a few threads on this already, but i cant seem to find them. those 2 work well, also cybertron downshift, E shockblast, E beachcomber, Universe devestator, e grimlock, armada PL thrust, and cybertron smokescreen work well too...and ive also got 10th anniversary optimus and megatron in the mix too....oh, and cybertron soundwave with yellow and red scrapmetals and a battle ravage looks cool....

3. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, technically, we haven't been "promised" anything else for Classics beyond what is already out, except maybe the Classic "Constructicons" which I don't think are out yet. So I wouldn't say we've been shorted or anything. We got what we knew we were getting and that's it. If for some reason, Hasbro decides to do some of the other characters we've asked for after the movie blitz, then great.

That said, I plan on putting my reissue Soundwave and Co. next to my classics, since my Tit Soundwave needs a diaper change.

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

There were a bunch that I was planning on using... like you said, E. Wheeljack and C. Blurr were two of them. Also on my list were C. Smokescreen, C. Soundwave, E. Shockblast, C. Armorhide, E. Bulkhead, E. Arcee, C. Swindle, Universe Ratchet, and RID Prowl.

If I owned them, I would probably also consider Laser Ultra Magnus, Botcon Ironhide, and Botcon Ratchet.

But you know... when I actually started sticking those figures alongside the Classics, I just didn't dig how they all looked together. I felt like it got all muddled, felt forced, and ultimately took away from the coolness of the Classics figures. I felt like I was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Not to mention, Classics are comparatively small, and a lot of those figures just look too big next to them (the RID figs are the right scale, but not quite the right aesthetic).

I even exiled the Classics Mini-cons... shunted them over to Cybertron where I figure they were originally intended to be, anyway. I felt they took away from the larger figures.

So now, the only other-line figure that stands with my Classics is Titanium Thundercracker. He actually fits pretty well, both in terms of scale and aesthetics. Once my Titanium Rodimus and Scourge come in, they might make the cut too, but I won't know till I actually stand them alongside and see how they look. But Classics is a great, small, line, and I think it really looks best just standing alone.

EDIT: One other "outsider" fig I've got standing with them: HOC Spike. The little PVC one that came with the weirdly misshapen Bumblebee. I've got him perched in Classics Bumblebee's "backpack," and you know what, he looks awesome with them. He's the perfect scale, and since he looks just like his dorky cartoon self (yellow boots and all) he really cinches that "Classics" feel.

5. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i did the same thing....the minicons just dont fit the same with classics, but i still plan on putting other figures with them, once i have more space....

6. Larkin Vain

Larkin Vain Collector Reborn!

I truly hope the Classics line continues on. Right now I stole some guys from other lines to be my classics fill ins.

Energon Omega Supreme as Omega Supreme
    Cybertron Smokescreen as Smokescreen
    Cybertron Downshift as Wheeljack
    Cybertron Soundwave as Soundwave (he may be replaced by the MP3 player later on)
    Cybertron Armorhide as Huffer
    Cybertron Quickmix as Quickmix
    Cybertron Blur as Blur
    Cybertron Hotshot as Bluestreak
    Cybertron Swerve as Swerve
    Cybertron Thunderblast as Nightbird (I know its weird)
    Cybertron Skyshadow Skyshadow
    Cybertron Thundercracker and Skywarp as Generic Seeker-type troops (they work well in a squadron with Starscream as their leader)
    [​IMG]
    Cybertron Swindle as Swindle

As soon as i get these:
    Energon Towline as Ratchet and Ironhide (have to repaint)
    Energon Rodimus as Rodimus Prime (or I may use the Titanium one)
    Energon Shockblast as Shockwave
    Energon Inferno as Inferno
    Energon Roadblock as Grapple

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Cybertron Blurr, Cybertron Downshift, Scrapmetal.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Cyb Blurr - Blurr
    Eng Bulkhead - Springer
    Cyb Downshift - Wheeljack (yes I realize the Energon version is more Wheeljack like, but I dont like that figure. The Cybertron one is just cooler)
    Botcon Ironhide (whenever I can afford it)
    Eng Shockblast - Shockwave
    Cyb Unicron - Bludgeon
    Eng Galvatron - Galvatron
    Botcon Cyclonus
    Eng Dreadwing - Scourge

9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I tried putting a lot of different figures with Classics... Cybertron Blurr, Cybertron Smokescreen and G2 Laser Magnus to name a few. I took them all away because I just didn't like the look of them. Most of the other line figures seem too large next to the reasonably smaller Classics line, but there are a few exceptions.

The only ones that I did keep with them were Universe Devastator (because he makes a better one than the Wal-Mart exclusive being released), Botcon Ironhide (don't own Ratchet or he'd be there too) and OTFCC Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Roulette & Shadow Striker. Though I do agree that the RID figures, while being the right size, are a bit off in the aesthetics department. Ironhide and Ratchet, while Energon figures, are a bit smaller and less bulky than the average one because of the character that was their base figure. So they can pull off looking as if they were in the same line. The Universe Constructicons fit in both in Devastator form and their four individual forms.

And, though I display all my 6" Titaniums on their own Autobot and Decepticon shelves, I have to agree that Titanium Thundercracker, Soundwave, Scourge & Rodimus Prime all fit in very nicely with the Classics. Thundercracker makes a nice place holder for the eventual Classics Thundercracker. While Scourge and Soundwave are just the right size to interact with all the Deluxe Classics... though Megatron towers over the rest of them... even the Classics, but that's got more to do with his transform I figure. Rodimus Prime looks awesome because he's at least a head or two taller than Classics Rodimus, but he's at least one and a half heads shorter than Classics Prime and Jetfire which gives him the perspective that he's become more powerful, but still maintaining the fact that he's slightly smaller than those two characters. Very sweet indeed.

I do have to wonder about the upcoming "Classics" exclusives being made for this year's Botcon. I don't think the entire set will be made from Classics molds -if they use any at all- and if they use figures from other lines they're going to have to be very selective as the Classics aesthetic is hard to find in the other lines...

10. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

I actually display my titaniums with them. Scourge, Ultra Magnus, Rodimus, WW Thundercracker, and Soundwave all go really well with them (I'm assuming with Ultra Magnues of course). But they're all about the same size and similar asthetic.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    My Ideas for Classics Homages

Universe Sunstorm as Sunstorm
    R.I.D Sideburn as Tracks
    Cybertron Drak Scorponok as Black Zarak
    Cybertron Override as Minerva
    Cybertron leobreaker as Victory Leo
    Energon Wing Saber as Star Saber
    Cybertron Wing Saber as Sonic Bomber
    6'Titanium Scourge as Scourge
    Universe Skywarp as Cyclonus
    Cybertron Mudflap as Hot Spot
    Universe Treadshot as Dead End
    Energon Bulkhead as Springer
    Cybertron Breakdown GTS as Kup
    Universe Defensor as Sixturbo
    Energon S.W.A.T Prowl as Prowl
    Cybertron Swerve as Swerve

12. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I totally agree! I absolutely love that Spike fig. (in a purely platonic fashion)! I wish they had made more human figs. in that scale...

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The Spike and Minerva PVCs are the kind of mini PVCs I usually have with my TFs if I want a human tagalong or two.

As far as honorary Classics goes:
    Cybertron Brakedown GTS as Kup
    Cybertron Blurr as Blurr
    Energon Bulkhead as Springer
    I also include Legends Perceptor and the two pack Ultra Magnus in that group, I use them as a second group of Autobots who're fighting other Decepticons on the far side of the galaxy.
    Legends Fireflight as Powerglide
    Cybertron Smokescreen as Smokescreen
    Titanium Rodimus Prime as Rodimus Prime
    Brave Maximus as Fortress Maximus
    Cybertron Evac as Sandstorm
    Energon Ultra Magnus as the late Sentinel Prime

with the Decepticons:
    Robot Masters Skywarp & Thundercracker, presently as themselves, soon to be as generic Seekers.
    G1 Soundwave as Soundwave (hey, they're reissuing him in Classics packaging)
    The Vehicons as a drone army
    Titanium The Fallen as The Fallen

I've also considered throwing in Magmatron and the Neo Destrons, as well as Galvatron and the rest of the BWII crew as other groups of Decepticons who're active in other parts of the Galaxy. My view on Classics is a little different than just "Neo G1", maybe I'll actually get the story I came up with for it written someday.

14. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I'm looking at getting the Bee/Spike PVC. Anyone know the best place to get them from?

15. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  16. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Though I don't have most of these, I'd put Cyb. Smokescreen, Energon Downshift, Cyb. Blurr, and Energon Rodimus in there.

17. Movebuster

Movebuster Hiding True Intelligence

Well, I'll tell ya, this is what I've been doing, and you don't necessarilly have to do the same. I combine Classics with Alternators, Masterpiece, Machine Wars and a couple of Titaniums and Customs to create a new G1. Then I'l follow them up with RID, Animorphs, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Beast Wars and Beast Machines and come up with inventive ways to connect them all into one seamless saga in it's own universe. It's highly unlikely I'll finish in my lifetime, but it's what I want to do.

I have Cybertron Primus filling in for the planet Cybertron in Classics. Machine Wars Thundercracher and Skywarp are filling in for their namesakes, since there's no Thundercracker I don't know if I'll ever get Clasics Skywarp anyways. Since Tit Soundwave hasn't arrived yet in the mail, I'm using a Taiwan version of G1 Soundwave that I've modified into a CD Player. When he arrives, I intend to name my custom Movebuster and have him play a vital cog in Megatron's propaganda machine. These are just examples.