Classics Line: Screwy Price Points?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Corbet, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

Although most of Classics has appealed to me I haven't purchased much. Mainly a space issue, mainly they arn't a priority to me right now.

I picked up the Target Magnus/Skywarp and this is the first thing that came to my mind: Magnus/Prime is supossed to be a $20 toy?

The size doesn't even match a $20 price point, adding to the fact that they included Skywarp with him.

2. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I think the Magnus/Prime mold fits in between the Deluxe/Voyager price point, but there is no $15 assortment. I think Prime's worth the $20 any way.

It was stated long ago that there were originally plans for a deluxe Prime without trailer then the voyager later on with trailer. From what I understand that plan was scrapped and they enlarged the mold a bit.

3. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Wrong perspective. Think of them as $9.99 each. Or better yet, BOGO.

They're a great set and are actually an improvement over the original releases of Classics Prime and Starscream/Ramjet. Definitely worth it.

4. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Well I didn't buy Prime because $20 just seems too much for his size. So I agree, the set is definitely the way to go.

5. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    Target's exclusives are Generally a fairly good deal.

and prime is WAY worth $20, what he lacks in size he more than makes up for in detailing and joints...

6. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree, Prime alone is nicely worth $20. It bears being repeated again for general consumption, though, that the *size* of a Transformers has little to nothing at all to do with the price point they go in. What determines the price is the engineering and complexity of the toy. A voyager mold is supposed to be larger than a deluxe, yes. But plastic is nothing. Plastic is a matter of a half a cent, maybe a few pennies difference in cost between different pricepoint toys.

7. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Prime was will worth the $37.94 CAD, i had to pay. My wife don't see it that way

8. rid

rid Well-Known Member

I agree with Viceroy, I think of this pack as a BOGO. Can't beat that price.

And the Classic Prime mold is one of the best Prime mold ever produced. It is worth every penny I spent on it. And when TRU has it one 50% sale, I bought an extra Prime so I can have one in robot and one in alt mode. Yes, both modes are that good!!

9. Henshin

Henshin Well-Known Member

Bumblebee was soooooo worth the $10. :) 
    As was Astrotrain

But, I do agree with what is said above. Whatever happened to the good price points? Back when I was in 3rd grade, my mom got me Optimal Optimus for $30 at Wal Mart. Now you have to pay $50 for a bot that size and that packed with stuff.

*Sigh* They don't make em' like they used to.... :( 

Damn inflation.

10. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

They're a little more than I'd like to pay but they're worth it. Jetfire was definitely worth the $34 CDN I paid for.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Store-exclusive multipacks are often a bit freaky in the price ratios anyway.

I wonder how many people who complain that Prime's not big enough to be worth $20 (I disagree) will gladly pay that much or more to get an imported smaller toy.

12. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with you on this point. Op Op is a bit smaller than the $50 toys, and packed with far fewer features. I wouldn't even say he stacks up to the $40 figures.

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Price points are always odd. I am sitting here looking at deluxe Excellion, and then next to him the Legends Hot Shot. For a mere $5 price difference, the difference is staggering. For one, there is more plastic in Excellions lower leg then all of Hot Shot, and their is about a dozen more points of articulation, and a ton of nicely sculpted details that Excellion has over the little replica. That's a rediculous price difference. I think Legends should go about $1.99 max.
    Besides that little rant, I belive classics OP is worth every cent, as was all the other classics. You aren't just paying for size by any means, it also has to do with complexity, packaging, and many other various stages of production. Although I love the classic deluxes, they don't match the amount of plastic to detail to articulation that the voyagers have.

Ok, and here is another rant- why are people complaing about prices these days? As a child of the '80s I recall toys being much more expensive, at the least on par with what we get today. Sure, you got a little more metal, but they were generally smaller and far less articulated. Nothing against G1, I love them, but I just don't think prices have risen so high like a lot of people claim. Deluxes back then, which were much smaller toys like Jazz or Ironhide, went for $10. Am I mistaken? The original Optimus Prime I believe had a price point of around $25 and, while he does have a trailer, his actual bot was the size of a deluxe. Maybe I am wrong, and if so, someone please tell me what the prices actually were.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've always been amazed that the Deluxe size class has remained unchanged at approximately $10 (at least in the US) since 1996.

15. A Lance

A Lance Give me your hugs

In Australia the RRP for prime by himself is $45, rejoice for you don't have to suffer such price gouging.

16. Emperor Prime

Emperor Prime Banned

Hey I had to order Magnus and Skywarp online and paid well over 60 US for them, and I say it was easily worth it.

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Who cares... I'd buy any Transformer toy no matter the cost. I bought Cybertron Primus sometime before Christmas and he costed, what, $60? At least, that's what he costed when I bought him at Target...

18. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

im happy with the screwy price point on the magnus warp 2 pack. for one it got me two for $20 and i like the magnus paint job way better than the red prime so that makes me doubly happy