Minor/Repaint: Classics Landmine

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by TENIME_art, Sep 21, 2008.

1. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I love movie Landmine. Even though he wasn't in the movie. Anyone who owns the figure can tell you how awesome he is. I hear alot of complaints about certain Transformers. Some people love ones that other people can't stand. I've yet to hear a bad remark about this guy (watch, people are gonna start coming out of the woodwork, now :lol ).

Since he wasn't in the movie, he'd feel out of place in my movie display (not that I have one right now, mind you, but when I set it back up, more than likely when the sequel comes out, or when I can get my hands on Premium Prime or Ironhide*). Well, I wanted him in my Classics/Universe display, along with my original character Burnout (movie Cliffjumper with movie G1 Jazz head).

Now, I love the head & hands that came with the figure, but I thought it'd be cool to give him different ones (while leaving the others alone, so I'd be free to swap them back in any time I wanted).

So, with the Prowl head left over from my Zade WIP (starting soon, Redline, I swear to god!! :D ), I got to work. I shaved down the sides & chopped off the horns, so it'd fit through the chest opening for transformation. Then, unscrewed the head to drill out some room for the balljoint (I ended up destroying the screw-shaft, so I'll be epoxying the halves of the head back together).

The hands he has are Animated Jazz hands :) lol..."Jazz Hands"), which I'll be trying to get extras of, and will be dyeing black (thanks to the nice tutorial).

The head I'm thinking will be dark grey (with the original silver face), and I may try & match the "Allspark blue" for at least the eyes (since the lightpiping on Prowl isn't that strong anyways), and maybe the inside of the ridge on top (see it?), and the cheek parts of the helmet.

I want to give him a rubsign over the Autobot sigil that's visible in alt. mode, and was also thinking of just "erasing" the Sector 7 logos (but leaving everything else alone). Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I like this. The Jazz hands are a great fit!

I wanted to use this mold with my Classics a while ago, as Hound, but once I got a look at the upcoming 25th Anniversary Hound, I had to throw that idea out. I stuck G1 Prowl hands in mine (oddly enough, they fit very well), but those TFA Jazz hands seem more versatile.

My only issue is that the head seems too small, too recessed. I usually like smaller TF heads, but that Prowl head is pretty tiny (and I agree... totally impossible to pry apart because it's glued! I broke the light piping on mine too!).

I dig that you're trying to put a spare head you have to use, but I'd probably try to find a bigger head.

zmog

3. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    Actually, there's only so much room there; any bigger, and it won't transform.

[​IMG]

4. SMOG

Yeah, I remember that from when I was auditioning heads for that figure. Perhaps a head with bigger features might be what I mean... the Prowl head is very dainty, so it looks undersized for the body, while a more robustly shaped head, or one without normal humanoid features might balance better with the body.

It's actually not that bad... and it'll probably look better once the colour blends better with the rest of the figure. Maybe the small head just makes him appear beefier than I would expect for a vehicle that size, but

zmog

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

The head's not glued - I got mine apart no problem - at least enough to remove it. I haven't managed to get the lightpiping out of the front half, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm in two minds as to whether to make my own piping for it or not...

Very cool TEN, it looks great so far. And I definitely agree with covering the insignia with a rubsign; I've been doing that (or some variation) with all my Classics.

So, any plans to make a Pretender shell for him..? ;) 

6. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

He looks like a movie verion of Hound :)  A good repaint will enhance the figure and put on some attitude.

7. SMOG

Sorry, yeah... I meant that his light-piping is glued in, not the halves of the head. I had to break off his eye tubes to get the light piping out, and even then, I had to use a hobby knife to dig the remaining bits out of his sockets. It really sucked.

So yeah, I pretty much had to replace his eyes with a pale blue plastic rubber... looks better though, since his lightpiping is so dark, you never got much light out of them anyway.

zmog

8. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    I barely remember watching G1 when I was a kid...I've heard the term "Pretender" tossed around on these boards, but I don't know what it is... :( 

Smog - Any suggestions? I like the Prowl head, not to mention it didn't take much to mod it...

9. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

I can really see that. I bet that would look really good. Just wondering, do you have to remove the hands to transform him properly?

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    T, this looks good. I think you should add some other color to the head and the hands to integrate them more into the overall design though. I'm thinking the dark gray and the blue from the hips and legs would work.

Personally, I have no problem displaying Landmine with my movie toys since the vehicle was used in the movie, the design was one of a few that was simply not used in the movie, and also he's been getting some usage in the comics (which have been considered "cannon").

I think this is some good work though! I think you also know that if there is anyone looking forward to Zade, it's me :wink: 

11. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    Not at all. They're shorter than the hands he comes with (even with the claws folded), and the ball jointed wrists are a necessity.

Once I dye the hands black, they should even look like seats in car mode! (Someone wanna save me from having to spend $10 on just the hands?)

And, believe me - no one's looking forward to Zade as much as I am!! ~_^

12. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Cool work.

13. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

wow now we are 2 here :)  to enhance Landmine's paint, maybe Hound repro labels might work, a little mod on his football head , make the paint look more army, and you'll give Landmine a better look :) 

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I like the Prowl head too; I think it could just do with being the same colour as the rest of the vehicle, since at the moment, you've just got the head and hands a different colour to everything else, which looks a little odd.

Pretenders were figures that came with hollow 'action figures', which served as shells. There were designed to be an organic disguise mode for the character. You wouldn't have seen them in the cartoon, as they were a later line, unless you've watched the Japanese Masterforce series.
    I suggested it simply because G1 Landmine was a Pretender...
    I was mostly joking... mostly. ;) 

15. SMOG

Suggestions for a head that should fit?

The Prowl head looks alright... it just seems small and recessed, which makes the body seem more hulking. I find you can get away with odd proportions like that more easily with heads that have less in the way of humanoid features, because we tend to project human proportions on them less.

To that effect... you might want to try Movie Stockade's head. It would fit.

For a while I had a slightly modded Cybertron Thundercracker head on my Landmine, and I could get that head to fit... barely. Then I replaced it with a sanded down Twin Twist head.

I just have a little box full of stray heads, so I try them until I find one that works. :) 

But once this is painted up, I think it'll look fine.

zmog

16. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    The head will be done by Sunday/Monday.

I have to wait until Friday when I get paid to get some new epoxy (last tube I had wouldn't bond anything... :redface2: ), and I want to glue it together before I paint.