Minor/Repaint: Classics Jhiaxus

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by whiskeytango, May 26, 2011.

1. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Ugh. Thats my main feeling towards this custom and the base figure it spawned from. I have no idea what I was thinking buying this horrible figure. Its a horrible transformation, got those horrible G2 inspired designs, and that god awful huge backpack. To top it off, i don't even like the finished product. Doesn't really look anything like Jhiaxus, just a repainted Thunderwing. A different head might have helped, but not much. Ugh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here he is with a REAL Decepticon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I think it turned out rather nicely, though I'm not all that familiar with the Jhiaxus character.

3. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

Very nice. Although, your rant begs the question...if you didn't like the figure, WHY would you bother making a custom out of it?

4. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Not feeling Jhiaxus from the mold, but your paint work is nice. Also not sure what you mean by "G2 inspired designs"... While Jhiaxus is a G2 character, Thunderwing is decidedly G1.

D/L

5. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

@boxorak: Well, I bought it on a whim not knowing I'd dislike it so much. Then I thought "why not give it a repaint?". Then about half way through I realized I wasn't going to like that much either, but I was loathe to just leave it unfinished

@destronger: I think its all the zig-zags that are only really apparent in vehicle mode that make me think of g2. I never owned the original thunderwing, so I don't know if he had those too, but they just seem really late 80's early 90's to me, though i guess Thunderwing didn't come out til '89

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those zig-zags are radar-breaking panels, and have nothing to do with G1/G2: they're an active part of the design of real-life aircraft.

7. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

well tell them i hate them

8. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

i could tell who it was right away. I think it turned out pretty damn good!

9. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not bad, can understand why you don't like Jhiaxus from him though, I always felt Scourge would make a better Jhiaxus.

I don't think Thunderwing's all bad, with some heavy modification I think a good Topspin and Twintwist would be possible from him.

10. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Pretty good.

11. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

wow I've never heard so much hate over someones OWN custom!? Personally I like the repaint, never really cared for Thunderwing in the 1st place, only timed I cared was in IDW when he became a massive badass, now if this toy was that we wouldn't be having this conversation.

12. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man dude, you are cranking them out lately. Good stuff

13. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

I personally think you did a great job with an admittedly lackluster figure. I actually like the base figure, but it could have been so much better and I definitely see why a lot of people don't like it. The paint work is incredibly smooth on this custom, and really does a lot to make Thunderwing look like Jhiaxus. In fact, the paint work on the head actually makes it look like a different head sculpt, really quite nice work on that. So really, don't beat yourself up so much over a very nice custom, the base figure isn't perfect but I really like the end result.

14. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

^this....

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I suppose you could phone up the Pentagon and tell them to stop making their aircraft radar-proof so that you could get prettier toys...

16. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

i'd like that

17. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

Not my favorite figure, but your repaint came out clean and looking good - its easy to see who its supposed to be at any rate and the paint is quite crisp.

18. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well, I love it. Sure, it's not 100% jhiaxus, but he's such an obscure character that I don't care in the least. It's a beautiful repaint and if it was on the pegs I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Great work, whiskeytango!

Edit: oh and if you can't live with the figure, I'll gladly take off your hands ;) 

19. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

well thanks guys. I'm warming up to him a little bit. I think its just the ridiculousness of his color scheme/original design that was irking me. At least in modern TF comics bots who you never see transform at least LOOK like they could turn into something else. Jhiaxus' alt mode couldn't possibly come from his bot mode.

@rotorstorm: I agree, scourge would have made a better jhiaxus

@grayfox: well he's on ebay right now and getting like zero attention. You could probably pick him up on the cheap.

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I'm not convinced by this mold... he seems too small, and a bit awkward in general. And yeah, your repaint does just look like a recoloured Thunderwing, but honestly, I think I like this deco a lot more than the "official" one. You did a good job, regardless of how you feel about the figure.

It almost sells me on the mold, though admittedly I'm more likely to wait for the Black Shadow remold/repaint.

zmog