Classics/IDW/WoH - which figures best fit which?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Anguirus, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First off, this is a discussion of toys' interaction with fiction. I thought it should go here, but I certainly have no problem if a mod wants to move it to Toys.

It occurred to me that there are now three ongoing worlds of fiction that, at one time or another, have showcased Classics/Universe/Generations toys.

Classics - produced by FunPub to tie into the 2006 "Classics" toys. Continues from Marvel TF comic issue #80. (Not to be confused with "Regeneration One")

IDW - comics from, well, IDW, that are currently the major "G1" fictional world.

Wings of Honor - from FunPub again, but explicitly a prequel and sequel, with slight wiggle room, from the Sunbow cartoon.

As these are all G1 timelines, in most cases one figure serves just as well as another to represent a character in all three. For instance, Universe Prowl is clearly about equally good at representing Classics Prowl, IDW Prowl, or WoH Prowl.

However, Metalhawk got me thinking. This character has radically different designs in all three timelines to date. In only one of them, Classics, does he have a Pretender shell. So BotCon Metalhawk is pretty clearly only representative of Classicsverse Metalhawk!

Now, this is very, very obsessive, much more so than I normally am with my collection. However I can't help but ponder more "corner cases" that fit better with one corner of the fiction than another. It might even inspire new divisions of my groaning Classics/Universe/Generations shelves!

Metalhawk: As noted, the toy is definitely Classics.

Drift: An odd case of the IDW character being turned into a toy, rather than an existing character drawn like a toy. However, there is also SG Drift. SG mirrors the Classics universe, so we might assume that Drift exists there as well. However, some SG characters are counterparts of other, non-G1ish universes. He doesn't have any role at all in WoH yet.

Voyager Optimus Prime: His design has only been used in fiction for Classics. One can assume it's his post-Action Master body (and that he's hybridized with Hi-Q). However, sometimes IDW Optimus is drawn with a few cues from this design.

Deluxe Optimus Prime / MP-01 / MP-10: In Wings of Honor Optimus strongly resembles his Sunbow animation model, as do these toys.

Deluxe Laser Optimus Prime: An odd case. This is "G2" Optimus. But, the only "G2" in these timelines is in WoH, where this design does not appear. His body is used for SG Ultra Magnus, suggesting that the design may exist somewhere in the Classicsverse. But...

Voyager Ultra Magnus: This design only represents Ultra Magnus in Classics!

Overlord Gigatron: Definitely not the IDW Overlord, so this seems as firmly set in the Classics as Metalhawk.

Thunderwing: Well, he certainly resembles the IDW version, though he is bite-size (and by extension Sky Shadow = IDW Black Shadow). He works nearly as well for the Marvel Thunderwing (who lived and died before Classics) and after all Metalhawk seems to share his body. No Pretenders in WoH?

BotCon Wings of Honor set, G2 set: Very firmly entrenched in WoH. Particularly Scourge and the Sweeps. Pyro and Ironfist definitely not IDW takes.

Legends Classic Rodimus: Used for the WoH Rodimus design, nothing else.

Deluxe Classic Rodimus: Used for Classicsverse Rodimus, nothing else!

Deluxe Classic Grimlock: Guess...

Sunstreaker and Sideswipe: I think these exact bodies were used in IDW and Classics!

WfC toys: These are being used to represent Bumblebee and Soundwave in upcoming IDW comics, but wouldn't be expected to appear in any other timelines.

MP-08: Matches Grimlock's old animation model, so, good fit for WoH.

Skullgrin: Very odd case. Seems inspired by IDW take, with Pretender shell-inspired head and a long hand weapon. Certainly doesn't look like old animation or comics model, but maybe FunPub will use it somewhere.

Ultra-class Onslaught: Definitely used for WoH.

Voyager Megatron: Obviously only used in Classics.

RtS Jazz and Tracks: Not used in any fiction yet. IDW Jazz looks nothing like this Jazz. But both DESIGNS are being used in Classics vs. SG!

Ok, I need to stop. I'm sure I'm only posting this thread because it's very late and my brain is weird. Anyone else given thought to these "divisions?" Your thoughts and comments (i.e. "You're wasting your life") are welcome!

2. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You've both stimulated me and made my head hurt...now I feel like going back and flipping through my IDW hardcovers to check stuff.

Oh, Classics Jetfire is at least used in IDW and I'm assuming Classicsverse as well, correct?

3. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ I forgot about that! Stormbringer Jetfire = Classics Voyager Jetfire, it even uses both modes of the robot.