Classics - I wish some had more useful alternate forms

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nightrain, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I mean, how many damn cars do the Autobots need anyway? I didn't really think much of it before, but now I really wish Perceptor was a scope of some sort. I'd like to set up Ratchet to use him to diagnose someone. I realize G1 moved into almost exclusively vehicle and animal forms after the first couple years, but does that really need to stop them from thinking up useful forms?

Why can't they make a Blaster who transforms into a communications center that looks like a DJ?

Why couldn't Rumble have been a demolition machine or something?

Hell, I think a Soundwave with a satellite form would be pretty sweet. They should have carried that over into PRIME.

I know the answer is nostalgia. But there's nothing nostalgic about Rumble being a tank or Perceptor being a snowmobile or Blaster being a redeco of a stealth bomber. Give accessorybots a chance.

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As I understand it from Hasbro, 'bots with utilitarian rather than vehicle modes don't sell particularly well nowadays. The length Armada Laserbeak & ROTF Ejector hung around would seem to support this, and while the Real Gear Robots were well-received in the fandom, they seemed to shelfwarm a bit over here too.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is why I love DL Blaster.

4. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember hearing something that Hasbro didn't want to do any alt forms that had to "shrink" down, like 20+ foot-tall Soundwave turning into a mp3 player that's, like, the size of his thumb.

It sucks, though. I would like a little better-looking Blaster in the Generations line. (I'm not a fan of DL Blaster's look.)

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    The 1:1 scale stuff doesn't sell well. I get that. But I'm talking about accessories specifically scaled for the other toys. Like, Perceptor wouldn't be a microscope, but he would be some weird laboratory thing for other robots to interact with.

6. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    That'd be sweet. Good idea (*Wink* *wink*, Hasbro.)

Just look at how popular Targetmasters seem to be as of late.

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

They're accessories, though, not stand-alone figures (at least Hasbro's are/is). Like Omnius said, vehicles sell; right now, other stuff doesn't (or Hasbro doesn't think it will).

8. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the idea is that the reason they didn't sell wasn't because it was 1:1, but because the alt mode didn't really have any play value in consistency with what the rest of the line provides, and that's a Vehicle you can play with as a Vehicle. When you get into things like Video Cameras, MP3 Players, or even a Laboratory, it can pull that figure out of whack with what a kid/parent was expecting that the line Was. Which is in most cases, a fiddlable action figure, that turns into a fiddlable Vehicle of some kind that doesn't need another purchase to feel complete.

I'm not saying that I don't enjoy those sorts of things, or even that they're a bad idea, but I can't complain about what we're getting. The designs for Scourge, Perceptor and other figures that didn't exactly, keep their G1 designs fully intact are I feel very, very creative and indicitive of both the time they came from, and current TF design sensibilities.

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I agree with you on maybe one point, but disagree in many others. I don't care for Perceptor being a truck... thing.

But I do hate Hasbro's default alt-mode of choice being a tank. Galvatron? Tank. Straxus? Tank. Rumble and Frenzy? Tanks.

All I want is an update to the G1 form. That goes just as much for the car models as it does everyone else. For every Datsun Fairlady Z that became a Nissan 350Z, I want to see an early 80's Microcassette Recorder become a more modern Microcassette Recorder. For every Lamborghini Countach that became a Lamborghini vehicular gangbang, a sci-fi space cannon Galvatron. For every whatever the hell Scourge was that became a Boeing X-48, I want a Super Soaker-looking Shockwave (what with Megatron being modeled on a Nerf gun and all).

10. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Well "marketing" does not think that anything other than vehicles sell. Hell we couldn't even get Titanium Cosmo because "Flying Saucers/UFO" are not cool. :rolleyes: 

11. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    It would be cool if a third mode was worked in, like a Classics Soundwave that turns into a communications van, but also has an advertised, decent boombox looking mode.

12. QmTablit

Cosmos being "cool" or not has nothing to do with the Titanium line being cancelled. It was an awful line anyway, in terms of design and whatever idiot's idea it was that metal parts on plastic joints = sturdy.

13. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Well the thing is about it that I remember that it was also considered for a Classics release as well. But the hammer was brought down on that too.

14. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Allright..

*pulls military tank book*

Straxus and Rumble ARE NOT tanks. Not everything with threads and guns on it is a tank. One is a self propeled gun (Straxus), an artillery piece, wich is diferent from a tank. The other Rumble, is a self propelled anti air craft tank wich is made to destroy planes, something tanks cannot do.

You sounds like a news reporter. You could strap a machine gun to a buldozer and just because it has threads and a gun, it´s automatically a tank.

15. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Kisds now don't have the imagination we used to point blank.

Also, they are called autobots implying they are cars, there were only a very few that were ever anything aside from cars.

It's not really nostalgia but just the way they usually were/are.

16. QmTablit

Other way around. The design was first proposed for the "Classics" line, rejected (and rightfully so), then reused for the Titanium line but it was cancelled.
    Alright...

*pulls out Thesaurus*

"Self-propelled artillery" does not approximate a tank?

And a "self propelled anti air craft tank" is not a tank? That's seriously your quote.

Look. I know technically they're not all tanks by the specifics of it, and I'm not going to get into defining what is and isn't a tank. But Hasbro has a thing for tanks/not-tanks, and it gets a little old.

Quit with the ad hominem attacks too. If you want to debate an issue, I'm usually game. There's no reason to think making personal attacks makes your point more valid.

17. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your prayers have already been answered. Fans have found unofficial microscope and boombox modes for Perceptor and Soundwave respectively, and Rumble has piledrivers built into his arms if you've been paying attention. As for Blaster, he's just another of those 'Classics wish list' figures. I'm sure Hasbro will get around to him eventually.

18. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I don't like the Autobots being all cars but what do you expect? They're called Autobots for a reason. Lol.

19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics was a tiny, tiny line that simply didn't go on long enough to slot Cosmos in. They're slowly updating the minibots in larger scales, so they're bound to get around to him eventually.

20. coppertop5150

coppertop5150 Well-Known Member

lots of non auto autobots existed in G1

dino's/animals , planes, cities

I bet of all the sales it was automotive autobots that sold the most