Minor/Repaint: Classics Huffer in the works...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Jun 9, 2008.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

So here's where my Huffer bash is headed... I went with FAB Optimus because if you move the cab parts to behind the head, it not only resembles Huffer, but also improves the articulation on the figure. I wanted Huffer to be more or less Deluxe sized, but to retain his stocky minibot proportions. The truck mode won't be exactly realistic next to other figures, but I think it will have the spirit of the G1 Huffer alt mode. :) 

I haven't done any permanent work yet, but the figure you see is assembled, and only the colours have been digibashed. I'm hoping I can find the repaint release of FAB Optimus before I do any serious chopping because he already has a lot of orange on him and it might save me some painting.

I'm not sure whether I should go with the more G1-style, all-blue body, or whether I should keep some of the grey metal bits just for a little more balance.

The head is from a Happywell KO Silverian DrillSilver (or whatever he's called). It's a pretty lame figure, but with his viking horns removed and a little bit of sanding, he makes for a great Huffer. It was even molded in the perfect matching blue already. Woot!

zmog

Attached Files:

2. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

I'm absolutely loving the flame detailing. But perhaps you could add a bit of extra orange on the front of his legs? They look a little bare right now.

3. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

that works.

4. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    cool!

5. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    cool!

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I think you should de-moviefy his upper arms, legs, and torso to be honest. If you don't, then he's not Classics Huffer, but Movie Huffer, as he won't fit in aesthetically at all with Classics/Universe.

7. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

I love the concept, but i agree with Redline, get some epoxy and bulk out his frame a little so he doesn't have the Movie roboskeloton look so much. Love the head too.

For colors I think the first one looks best with mostly blue and then some grey on the arms.

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Looks great, especially the head!

9. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

that is so great

10. SMOG

Flame deco? Heh... that's just a flame deco from the original figure that I didn't photoshop out. :D 

I won't be keeping the flames, as I don't think they suit Huffer, and there are entirely too many TFs with flame decos these days anyway. As for orange on the fronts of his legs, I was considering that, as G1 Huffer's legs were mostly orange anyway... but I'm thinking that might make them look even simpler.

Hmm... I think I disagree with that basic notion. Besides the obvious non-movie head, he can't really be "Movie Huffer" because that mold can hardly be called "Movie Prime" to begin with... it's already considerably simplified and boxified from the movie design. It's for this reason that I generally like the Movie toys, even while I hate the movie designs... the simplification necessary to make them as toys brings them closer to the kind of Transformers I like. :) 

I'm not sure obscuring the detail of the mold with epoxy (which I'm not especially fond of using) will help that much. My aesthetic is not to make them look like the simple cartoon models, but rather like a detailed-up, better articulated riff on the original character. I think modified Movie bots for the most part can make for excellent and stylish "classics" characters, much in the same way that the Four Horsemen sculpts made for good "classic" He-Man figures, despite having differently stylized proportions and a lot more molded detail. :) 

zmog

11. luke4

luke4 crocon

its nice with or with out the flames and dont worry about him look wierd beside other toys b/c the g1 huffer looked retarded in the show (too small)

12. SMOG

Admittedly, the chest area does have a lot of busy detail, including those very Prime-ish windshields, which actually contrasts a bit with the cleaner head shape.

If I can make it fit into the transformation, I might add some bits to cover some of that chest detail, though I think the arms and legs will look alright as they are.

zmog

13. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

I agree with Smog here, this is the least Movie-like mold I have seen. I think it works well as is, does not look alien at all.

I really like the hood, makes for a better Huffer than the Botcon release.

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Brilliant idea there, and I agree with your point on the detailing; the chest is definitely too busy, and that's one of the things that struck me first when I opened the pics, but pretty much all the rest of it I think you can happily get away with.
    Nice head for the job, too; admittedly, I'd go for the visor and faceplate myself, but then I'm weird like that. For the 'toon version, that thing looks pretty well spot on.

15. SMOG

Actually I totally understand your visor/faceplate bias. I've been a longtime fan of the original toy-style heads on Transformers. When I was a kid, I was practically an evangelist for the original heads. I've mellowed over the years... I've come to admit that some of the TV-inspired versions of the characters are more iconic overall... sigh...

But ideally, I'd love to have it both ways... with a replaceable visor or something. Maybe I could put something like that on the back of his head, so I could just spin his head around for the "battlemask" look. With Huffer at least, the canopy over his head would hide the alternate "face". :) 

zmog

16. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    Reminds me of how I need that digi bash of FAB prime into Classics Motormaster...

I can't wait to see your effort done.

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I hate Huffer (the character), but this custom looks good.

18. SMOG

Huffer was one of my first TF toys, so I have a soft spot for him... though I admit I never really cared much for his cartoon self one way or the other. To my recollection, he never really got much development anyway. At least Marvel had that one issue that focused on him

This custom is just going taking me one step closer to my vague goal of having at least the full first year cast of Classics-style TFs.

Now GEARS... Gears I hate. :) 

JohnDillinga, would FAB Prime seem too small for Motormaster? Or would you be displaying him with smaller scaled figures (like Titaniums and stuff)?

zmog

19. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    Isn't he (FAB Prime) roughly the size of Classics Voyager Prime? or even one of the Deluxe Classics? Im thinking of doing a trailer for him as well idk yet though...

20. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    nice to see another huffer enthusiast! I'm working on one of my own. I think I agree with everyone here in someway. I don't think it's "too movie" but his pipe arms were very specific traits to his character and could stand a little modifying. and I agree with you about the chest area.
    Overall, I think this huffer looks awesome. It's a great update to a character that never gets any attention. Botcon repaints don't count.