Minor/Repaint: classics hotrod opening canopy mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by chansformers, Feb 7, 2011.

1. chansformers

chansformers butcher of the bots

News Credits:
    i know there's been a few of these tutorials floating around,but i posted how i was able to do this over at cyb.ca and a fellow member there suggested i post it over here too.
    this should take out almost any guess work in doing this simple mod.

for those who are interested in the look,this is a extremely easy mod to do.
    all you need are basic hand tools.
    hammer
    pliers
    small phillips head screwdriver
    a even smaller flathead screwdriver
    nail clippers
    nail file/sanding paper
    sidecutters

in alt mode,flip over hotrod and remove the small flanged phillips screw located in the center of his underbody,inbetween the front and back wheels.you should then end up with 2 chunks of hotrod.
    [​IMG]
    determine which end of the pin holding his canopy together at the upper back area by looking for the "cross-ribbed" impressions on the ends.
    on this one,they're on the passenger side of the cockpit.make sure you have verified it really is the side that's ribbed,it's not fun knocking the pin the wrong direction!!!!
    [​IMG]
    once it's out the other side enough,grab hold of it with a set of pliers and turn while pulling.
    [​IMG]
    once the pin is out,flip the whole canopy assembly over and now remove the last screw underneath.
    the assembly should now be able to seperate into 3 pieces,canopy glass,interior and the rear middle trunk chunk.
    [​IMG]
    on the upper canopy glass piece,i've used black permanent marker to show you what needs to go.
    [​IMG]
    using a combination of the sidecutters and sand paper,this is what you want to see after removal of the excess.
    [​IMG]
    on the interior piece,you want to shave off plastic at a 45 degree andgle at the front of the pivot posts.
    again,i've used black permanent marker to show what has to go.
    [​IMG]
    this is where a good sharp nail clipper comes in handy!this is what it should look like after nail cutting.
    [​IMG]
    with the sand paper or emery board,round down the sharp edges and angles on where you just cut.it should look like this afterwards.
    [​IMG]
    reassemble the 3 pieces(canopy glass/interior/rear trunk chunk) but don't re-install any screws.push the pin back in but only half way.this is when you can test it all for any rub areas,clearance issues,etc.
    [​IMG]
    on the canopy glass piece,i used a nailclipper again,clipping the very corners of the back of it for more "opening" clearance in alt mode.
    [​IMG]
    on the front of the glass,to make it functional without having to always bend his front bumper down,i again use the nail clippers to take out two squared corner chunks,shown with black marker again.
    [​IMG]
    and after clipping.
    [​IMG]
    re-assemble everything,making sure "not" to reinstall the small screw under the canopy.(not the first flanged one you took out,that one goes back in!!!)
    you should end up with about this much plastic removed,along with 1 extra screw.
    [​IMG]
    last step...sit back and enjoy.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. JacobPGalvatron

JacobPGalvatron Storm Trooper #1

Not willing to do this to the one I've already got, but if I get that new set, I'll definitely do this.

3. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

I might reccomend not clipping the front part off. Yes you have to move the motor a little to release it, but it does pin it down pretty well the rest of the time. Makes it sit nice and tight to the car when you don't want it open.

4. tobuttica

tobuttica Well-Known Member

That's badass! Seems strange that hasbro would put a molded interior in the figure and paint the windows so people cannot see it.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm so doing this.

The original use of this mould had clear windows.

6. chansformers

News Credits:
    yeah,if it's the original classics "first" version,be careful as the translucent plastic in the canopy is more brittle.the bis set is perfect for this:thumbs2: 

actually,the screw that you removed and ultimately threw out,the post it used to screw into actually "clips" the canopy closed.the engine doesn't really hold it down on the front of the glass.

7. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

Well to each their own, but on my modded HotRod, which I did maybe 2 weeks ago, the little bit of the front canopy gets held down by something in the front.

It may want to pop up slightly because I didn't trim enough inside, but having the engine force it down slightly was a nice surprise once I had it back together.

8. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome tutorial, thank you!

Night I suggest putting the word "Rodimus" in the thread title (ATTN Superquad7!) to better help those who do a search. This will be a great addition to the Tutorials Section.

It's a damn shame Hasbro didn't use clear plastic for the canopy. Ridiculous.

9. chansformers

News Credits:
    true dat,true dat.:thumbs2: 
    like i said though,there's a few other tutorials floating around out there,and this one is just how "i" was able to do it with simple tools:) .

"cost cutting" cut backs on hasbro's part:lol 

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Banned

Did it, it ruled.

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I'm tempted to do this, but I'm horrible at even small mods like this.

12. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

The plastic near my pin was brittle so it started to crack with I pushed it out. Just a warning to those to want to try it. I had to use a longer pin to save it.

13. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  14. chansformers

News Credits:
  15. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Thats totally neat thanks!

16. oxidative

oxidative last chance to evacuate

This is pretty awesome. Great write up :thumb 

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    chansformers, thanks so much for posting this here! I'll add what you've contributed to the one already started. I appreciate your work here, bud :thumb 

18. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Seeing it still has the molded interior inside makes me wonder why the hell they made the windows not translucent?

19. jazz89

jazz89 i'm rockin' moon base 1.

thanks man. this tutorial was awesome:rock  here are my results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

paint on the windscreen got a little scratched but nothing an ounce of paint wont cure. thanks again man :D 

20. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Possibly too many complaints about either the paint coming off or the translucent plastic breaking.