Minor/Repaint: Classics Grimlock Mod...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by 1987olds442, Dec 16, 2006.

1. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just got Grimlock in the mail today and the backwards shoulders bothered me, so I knocked out the pins and swapped them. I also reversed the black tabs and they do keep the shoulders in place better now...

[​IMG]

Sorry about the crappy picture :p 

Oh and I noticed when doing this mod... The screws where really tight and harder to remove than normal, and when I re-assembled it on the correct side the screws went easily. So I believe this is how it was intended to be in the first place.

Attached Files:

2. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A little more indepth Instructions...

1. I unscrewed the the two screws in the back of the upper torso.
    2. Take the srews out of the shoulders.
    3. Remove Shoulder covers & slide arms off.
    4. Knock out the pins that hold the shoulders in place.
    5. Swap the should base assemblies.
    6. Swap the upper arm pieces.
    7. Re-assemble.

The black tabs are easy, but also a pain..

1. Knock the pin out of the back piece then remove.
    2. Knock the pins out of the tabs (the pain part).
    3. Swap tabs.
    4. Re-assemble.

[​IMG]

Dino Mode

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. TSFC

TSFC Banned

I'm sorry, no offense, but I don't see a change. What exactly does this do?? I mean I read the first post and all, but is that it?

That's a lot of work. o_O 

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    puts the screws on the back of his shoulders in robot mode. I dunno, you see the screws more in alt mode that way, so its not an improvement, just an alternative.

5. notpicard

notpicard Well-Known Member

:thumb 

For me, this mod made all the difference. Personally, I see it as less of a mod and more of a correction. I had done this with mine the same day I got it. And while it does make the screws on the front of the dino mode, I think that the back of the dino mode is just as in-plain-sight as the front. But the robot mode I generally pose with the front most apparent. So this way I do end up seeing them a lot less.

All the package pics have Grimlock assembled this way. And I also noticed that screws fit better after the shoulders were modded. I don't think that is a coincidence.

Popping out the pins was not fun (as usual) but I feel it is 100% worth it. I wondered about the black tabs. Now I'm going to do that as well.

6. TSFC

TSFC Banned

How does one knock those pins out? I mean definitively, I've heard "Use a screwdriver!" "Pliers work!" How exactly would I go about doing this, if I chose to?

Pins only question. (Clearing it up a bit.)

7. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It can be an alternate, but like I mentioned the srews are in like in a bind in the factory assemble this just corrects that...

8. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I also use a small punch and small hammer to drive the pins out. But be careful to drive them out the correct way especially the ones on the black tabs they have locking ridges on one end you need to push from the smooth end out.

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That's probably just because you loosened them for the first time. It's always going to be easier to put the screws in the second time around.

10. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually I believe it is more than likely due the being assembled incorrectly from the factory and reassembled the correct way.

11. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Seems that way. I took apart his shoulders in the hopes the of doing a mod(before you posted this) and I put them back together screws front when I notcied the pieces couldn't just be swapped and the screws went back in rather difficult.

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I took mine apart and did this mod for shits and giggles...it actually works better for dino mode too. The dino legs are slightly shifted more to the rear, and it looks and stands better IMO.

I still say the screws fit fine either way. Nothing is bent or warped by the way it came from the factory. It's just that they were so long, and since they create their own threads in the plastic when put in, that they are super tight. Removing them loosens the original threads. I put it back together multiple times in the right and wrong ways and it didn't make a difference.

And there doesn't seem to be a way to make the black tabs line up like they look like they were designed to. If you swap them, it may work better, but the two black tabs won't line up with the two shoulder notches no matter what. The only way I could get them to like up perfectly was to spin the whole head assembly around 180 degrees, but since it's off center, just switching the black plates won't be perfect. It's a mold flaw, I guess.

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I don't have him yet, but when I get him, all I was planning on doing was taking some sculpey and filling in the screw holes with putty , smoothing them over and then painting them grey. should work out nicely.

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I may do that as well, since I already have the putty.

15. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

but if you look at the instructions, it has the screws visible in bot mode. so i guess its personal preference. i got mine from HTS and the bottom screws on both shoulders were stripped out beyond repair. so my grimmy stays un-modded.

16. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

That would take just too much effort im afraid

17. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Yup... tried it, too much effort. But thanks for posting, Grimlock DOES look much better that way. Wish they had assembled him that way in the factory.

18. Onset

Onset Member

the instructions are not necessarily reliable... look at ransack's instructions, they had incorrect struts, as well.

19. notpicard

notpicard Well-Known Member

I didn't fully explain about the screws. When I took off the shoulders, I thought that there would be a chance that they would be the only parts I would need to swap. When I saw the pins would have to come out, I put them back on until I felt like tackling the job of the pins.

So I am comparing the way they went in not to the usual snug factory fit of screws, but to how it was reassembling it both ways.

And I'm not even sure why it seemed that way. I ended up swapping the parts they fit into. So I can't figure why it felt that way to me. But I thought maybe I missed the reason why when I wasn't the only person noting the difference.

20. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

i've made a special little tool for knocking those hinge pins out. it's worked flawlessly on dozens of figures that i've modded, but after an hour of trying to pull off this mod, i gave up. not a single pin would budge an inch. tough little toy.