Heavy/Scratch: Classics Gobot? No, Cybertronian Jazz!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Altitron, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Alright kids, it's story time!

Much to the chagrin of Predaking fans, I set my customs off to the side for the better part of a year after transferring to Japan in order to concentrate on other endeavors, like work (mostly) and art (when I wasn't working), and a little Warcrack and Xbox in between to maintain my sanity (for shame!), but with the kid finally here, I'm on two weeks of paternity leave. Strangely enough, having the baby recharged my creative batteries and I decided to sit back down at my work desk and get through that massive pile of unfinished products I collected over the past two or three years - or at least what I could in two weeks. :) 

But before I attempted to pick up right where I left off, I figured I would start something new to knock off all the rust that's accumulated on my mad skillz.

Awhile back, I happened to find a 1/24 scale Porsche 935 'Martini Racing' kit in TRU, and figured I'd reshell it into a Masterpiece Jazz. While browsing Ebay for an Alternator Jazz for that planned reshell project, I stumbled upon the Gobot Psycho, and I thought it looked really sweet - but had no clue what it actually was! So I posed the question on the TFCC boards, and a fellow member both answered my question and mailed me his own Psycho figure for /free/! Once I got Psycho in hand, I thought he was even more awesome than I originally thought - but not as a Gobot. I was still hankering to give Jazz some love, and thought that this particular figure looked wild enough to pass as his Cybertronian form, so I ran with it.

One Super Gobot, Classics Smokescreen, Classics Mirage, and Classics Hound later, I'm knee deep in plastic shavings and can't believe I put this stuff on the shelf for a year. Silly me. :p 

Hope you guys enjoy the pics. I'm looking forward to fielding your questions, comments, and criticism.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Alty

Attached Files:

2. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I think I'm gonna love this!!!

3. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    i like the use of hounds arms .....

i'll keep an eye on this project looks promissing
    :) 

4. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

This makes me really really want a Classics Psycho. You could probably resculpt/reshell/rejigger the Lambo mold... or you could just do what you've got going here.

Man, I want a Classics Psycho. I loved that toy as a kid.

5. JAF

JAF 1984

You sir, are a genius. All this needs is an "air-scoop" front end to be the virtual perfect cybertron Jazz. Even without it's gonna be ace.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Damn, I was really hoping you'd keep him as a Gobot.

:( 

7. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very interesting.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Fixed :) 

9. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Ok this is going to rock

10. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

I'm in love already, he had me at hello!

11. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I love that gobot! I cannot wait to see how he turns out.

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    can you modify it so the front end doesn't fold down flat, but sticks out forward like jazz?

13. Altitron

Ebay:
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone. :)  And I apologize to all those Gobot fans out there. :p 

As for his final look, I'm still playing around with everything and how it all fits together, so we'll see. I really didn't sit and plan anything out, I just started grinding away with an idea of how I wanted him to look at the end and figured that if I screwed up too badly, I could just use styrene and putty to fix it. :p 

I think I may have to scratch build the whole torso and lower legs out of styrene. I can picture the torso swinging down to rest underneath the hood of the car, propping it up so that it sticks out forward. I'll let you know how it goes.

- Alty

14. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    Some time back I had started turning one into Arcee but never finished it, Knowing that the Hound Arms fit in the transformed mold and seeing a way to include Mrage legs gives me a few Ideas on what to do now... lol good job sofar keep it going!

15. Altitron

Ebay:
    Here's a small update. I got a cast of the BotCon '08 Jazz head in the mail from F_R, and began working in the neck/balljoint assembly from Classics Hound that allows the head to fold back. No fancy transformations here. :p 

I also have been cutting the Smokescreen doors down fit flush with the Gobot body, as well as installing the ball joint pieces that were attached to allow the doors to rotate out and look like wings ala G1. It's not perfect yet but I think you get the general idea by the pics.

I did a bit more work to the rear of the vehicle being able to rotate up a bit to allow the legs to extend in robot mode, but my camera died so you'll have to wait. :p 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Alty

16. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

:rock 

17. cyclonus666

cyclonus666 target master

congrats on the baby, I have one on the way ^_^, cant wait to see this custom finished

18. Altitron

Ebay:
    Here's an update for everyone. :) 

I recently picked up a junker Jazz from a fellow TFCCer, and couldn't resist using the original G1 photon rifle in this 'bash. Using the same spare Classics Hound I stole the arms from, I cut off the peg that allows Classics Hound to hold his missile launcher and used some 2-part epoxy and putty to attach aforementioned peg to aforemention photon rifle. :) 

[​IMG]

Now, for Jazz's missile launcher, I've just been bastardizing all kinds of parts together. I used the Classics Hound missile launcher as a base, attached Robot Heroes Jazz forearms, Classics Hound's head, and am currently building a styrene scope to mount to the top. I will be adding styrene plates here and there (most notable Hound's face, lol) to give it a more cohesive look. I cut out the rocket portion of the launcher with a small saw, drilled a hole into the launcher itself, and I'm currently building a stem into the hind-end of the missile so that it can detach, ala G1 Jazz.

[​IMG]

That all being said, here's a small peek at what Jazz will eventually look like once I get a few details here and there nailed down on the weapons themselves. :) 

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

- Alty

Attached Files:

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is shaping up soooo nicely!

20. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Nice progress!