Classic's getting the RID treatment, give your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by LEADERS_MATRIX, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    I agree with KA. Hasbro get rid of that God awful Armada Sideswipe mold. I never want to see another toy on the shelves in that mold. And, while you're at it; get rid of the Armada Blurr mold too, it's almost as bad.

2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    What always gets me about Armada Sideswipe is... okay, Armada was Aaron Archer's first line as the lead designer, and maybe some of the other Hasbro designers were also inexperienced at the time - but they passed on those concepts to Takara and Takara, who are experienced in making robot toys didn't say 'hey, these giant shell halves on his legs are abit awkward!'

OR did Takara assign a temp to do Sideswipe?!?

Either way, its positively one of the worst designs in Armada, and it doesn't even have Armada Smokescreen's grace of having a great minicon or Armada Scavenger's stompy charm. Piece of crap toy.

3. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    To Armada Sideswipe's credit, he has one of the best alt modes in the entire line, and his Minicon gimmick is freaking awesome. I LOVE that you can conceal the Minicon entirely in the car. Really, the toy's only flaw (and it is, admittedly, such a colossal one that the net result ends up being one of the worst toys in the line) is the crappy-on-all-counts robot mode.

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Yup, I agree. While I think the robot mode is shockingly bad, his alt mode and spring-loaded hideaway minicon is pretty cool. There are certainly lots of figures out there that have nice robot modes and godawful alt modes..... this just happens to be one of the handful of figures that has it backwards. The solution? I just display him in vehicle mode all the time. He's the only Decepticon I have displayed that way, but it's kinda cool to see a little tuner car sharing space with all these big robots.

But I completely agree, that mold should never be used again. Actually (though I can't claim a whole lot of familiarity with Armada and Energon) I kinda feel like NO pre-Cybertron molds should be used again for Classics, at least not without major retooling to remove their gimmicks and give them more articulation.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

I agree

6. DeathFrogurt

DeathFrogurt The frogurt is cursed!

They need to have more Soundwave-type reissues in this line. I'm thinking Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Insecticons, and any other kickass figures that people would actually buy.

7. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Erm, don't they give us new toolings in EVERY line? Classics is no different to Cybertron and Armada in that regard.

8. butz

butz slippery when wet

I don't mind repaints, just so long as they don't become the focus of the line. I love the Devastator set (despite the lack of hands or sixth member) and wouldn't mind seeing the other gestalts also released as exclusives (I even started a thread to that effect- they do need to fix the Stormjet mold if they do Superion, though..) but those and things like Cliffjumper should be the exceptions, not the norm.
    On the other hand, once Classics runs its course (hopefully with another round of new figures), I wouldn't be adverse to seeing another repaint line, like Universe, start up- so long as they make better color choices (and yes, for the love god, no giant faction symbols, please!).

9. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

LOL! Hear hear! That misbegotten hunk of tortured plastic should never have seen the light of day, let alone been repainted... what... 4 times??

10. Razorblaze

Razorblaze God of Thunder TFW2005 Supporter

I think the Energon Devastator repaint for the Classics line sucks, but that's just my opinion though. And as someone said eariler, it was bound to happen. I shouldn't really care though, and waste my time bitchin' about Hasbro's methods, so I won't. It's just one less Transformer I'll be buyin'. I just wanted to give my two cents, and leave it at that.

11. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Mine as well, though they could have rectified it by just getting the colors somewhat close to right. I'm getting tired of seeing Devestator with some of the characters either mostly purple with green highlights, or now, mostly black with some purple highlights. Green with purple highlights if you're going for the homage. Homages aren't the greatest thing ever, but if you're doing something as an attempted homage, you just as well go all out with it.

12. thunderbat16

thunderbat16 scout sniper

it seems that hasbro is getting lazy in the times when it comes to TF even g.i.joe got remade of course its on a network every saturday morning too then they need to have it put on at better times so we can see it and they can make more money through sales and they can quit with all the cheap ass repaint we keep getting

13. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I agree in principle, but the problem Energon Devastator brings into that equation is that some of the molds are duplicated. If you did them up in green with purple highlights, you end up with only three different toys, plus two more that are the same as one of the three (if that makes sense). Putting some different color schemes in isn't a perfect solution, but I think it's preferable to putting two identical version of each of the limbs in the box.

14. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Once again I am amused at how outraged nerds get at the prospect of repaints in this line, except when the repaints comply with G1's system of repaints.

We got a shitload of perfectly usable G1 homage toys, especially in the last line, that can be reused in this line. Let them spend the budget on NEW TOOLINGS on characters we DON'T ALREADY HAVE so long as the existing toolings are of a decent quality.

You guys are being greedy and apparently have no concept of working under a budget.

15. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am all for Classics being the new universe. I loved Universe, but it would have been helped greatly by the occasional new mold-putting the Grimlock/Swoop combiner in universe would have greatly boosted its credibility. Having the repainted ruination detracted credibility(good colors, bad choice for a third release of that mold within a couple years) With that said, Classics is off to a great start, and while I doubt Ill get devestator, its a great option out there for some.

16. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I agree with FFN. I have no problems with repaints of toys from other lines, and depending on the actual toys used, would be quite enthused with nothing more than a new headsculpt.

Cybertron Smokescreen? Hell yeah. I still haven't gotten him, but only because I have a hard time convincing myself to buy a repaint of a mold I already have... and now I've got the rest of Wave 1 classics to pick up as my priority... He could use a new headsculpt, but I like the toy enough that I'd be happy to grab the repaint as-is. Repaint Cybertron Hardtop as Beachcomber? Well, won't happen, cause he's not a deluxe, but yep, I'd buy it. I wish I had picked up an Energon Inferno... at least I've got Roadblock, he makes a passable Grapple - though if he was to be re-released as a Classics Grapple, I'd have to insist on a new headsculpt if I hadn't already bought the E. Roadblock.

I do, however, agree with whoever was doubting the Energon Combiner repaints. GREAT idea in concept - it really is - but I don't like the idea that basically, two of each limb are going to be identical toys with alternating colorschemes. If each Energon combiner was 5 DIFFERENT toys, I would have been happy to pick up each one of em. Instead... I have my Bruterion Maximus - two limbs from Superion Maximus, two from Bruticus, and Barricade as the main body (hence, "Bruterion" rather than "Supericus" or something)... though I would have liked to have grabbed the Deluxe figure from Superion - but that's beside the point.

The thing I liked best about the G1 combiners was that it WAS five different toys. Which were ALL cool. And they ALL formed one really big (and also cool) robot. And it looked a whole lot different if you swapped the left leg with the right arm, etc. I liked that a lot. With the E combiners... it was more like, "which shape do I want where? Two tanks for arms, or do I mix it up and do one tank and one helicopter?" And the only difference was color. Meh.

So yes, I'd love to see some classics repaints of older line figures... I bet they can pull some really awesome stuff off. I just hope they keep hitting home runs like I've seen with Classics so far. Yes, I know they can't ALL be winners, there's bound to be a dud in this line somewhere... but what a hell of a start they've got.

17. Razorblaze

Razorblaze God of Thunder TFW2005 Supporter

I don't mind repaints in the Classics line, I just don't like that the first one has to be Energon Devstator. I once had the original, but have since sold it off, and I'm not even tempted to buy the Classics version. Now if they do yet another Ruination in G1 Bruticus colors, I'll snatch that up fast. I'll also buy Classics Skywarp & Thundercracker, if there is one, which we all know there will be one right along with Sunstorm. Those repaints I'll buy save for Sunstorm, and could careless if they're repainted Starscreams. I'm even getting Classics Ultra Magnus and Cliffjumper.

In other words, it's not the repaints I piss and moan about, it's more of what mold is used, and I'm sure that can be said for everyone. In my opinion, the RID Build Team would've been a better choice for Classics Devastator. However, that was already done for Universe, and that can't be undone.

I for one hope the Classics line goes over well for everyone. Average and hardcore collectors alike. I'm not going to bitch about repaints, but I will give my two cents about them. If Hasbro wants to do repaints, and people want to buy them, then more power to them. And the same goes for people who want to rant about them. It's their right. I for one, am just going to sit back and see where Hasbro goes with this line, and I wish them the best of luck.

18. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

I'm torn on repaints, because the last line that focused on repaints was Universe ... and THAT varied from genius to awful -- mostly the latter.

I'd much prefer to see new molds and repaints/remolds of Classics molds first. I really don't get why the Constructicons were the first choice for a repaint -- given that you could get all-green limbs for the ORIGINAL release already. I REALLY disliked Energon Superion (good head, terrible everything else), but Bruticus might've been a good choice for a repaint (though I already liked the Energon colors).

-XCN-

19. butz

butz slippery when wet

I know this is going to sound really fanboy-ish, but if they did another Universe styled repaint line, I'd like to see them go for more of an expaned universe type of line. Take the focus off any prominent characters (or even existing characters altogether) and feature new characers who aren't part of any main TF conflict; for example, perhaps take molds like Energon Arcee and Skyblast and use them as Paradron Autobots. They could have characters with backstories like Junkions, second generation Decepticons, Paradrons, beast/speed/giant planet residents, etc. The line itself could be sold as a way to supplement or bolster the ranks of whatever the current line at the time is, rather than being tied to its own unique storyline.

20. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am getting an eerie feeling that Classics may be the new RiD - -) Alot of cool new molds(to me they were anyway, i didnt import any of Car Robots), but in the end its gonna turn into a dumping ground for repaints.