Classic's getting the RID treatment, give your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by LEADERS_MATRIX, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Ravage1976

Ravage1976 Well-Known Member

I will probably purchase all 3 Energon combiners if they give them descent colour schemes but only because I never picked up the originals, was honestly a little peeved they didtt take the oppertunity to add 2 new sculpts to the Energon combiners but oh well.

But on the whole no never been a fan of repaints at all let alone repaints from previous lines which quite often lack the overall asthetic of the line.

2. EagleEyeJoe

EagleEyeJoe Well-Known Member

Superion Maximus is an easy repaint I'd get if they did it. I never managed to snag any of the original combiners from Energon. I think size wise though, Energon provides the best chance of repaints. The Energon Insecticon would be a good fit too IMHO.

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

OK, if they do a GOOD job of it.

... which I doubt they will.

Energon Constructicons? Nice colours, but pretty dubious. A poor stand-in for a truly "Classic" Devastator... something I daresay every Transfran has been waiting for their whole life. :) 

Cliffjumper? A bit of a let-down... predictable, but that silver deco has really put me off.

But there is some potential for smart repaints. I'd love to see a good Jazz figure, but barring that, I think a white repaint of Cybertron Crosswise would be keen. All they'd really have to add would be the little "ears" on the head. Or how about Supercon Prime as Pipes, or even Huffer? All it would take is some remolding around the head. Finally that figure would be size-appropriate!

What really gets me is how rarely we see remolding... or even a simple head swap!! Think back to the Masters of the Universe line... that whole series was made up of about 2 bodies, 3 sets of arms, and 2 sets of legs! The only new things they had to sculpt were heads, but it worked.

They have to know going in that they're probably going to repaint BB as Cliffjumper, so why not make an alternate head mold right from the beginning? I know BB and CJ have very similar heads, but still... wouldn't that small detail be enough to win most of us over? Give Cliffjumper a different trailer... like maybe one that turns into a gas-sprayer backpack, and I'll have their babies!! :) 

And think about it... mold 2 more heads, maybe a badass spoiler attachment, rename a gas-sprayer as a "flame thrower" and BANG! Battlechargers! It only takes a little bit extra to really stretch a mold far in the minds of the fans... to change a "maybe" to a "must have now!!" Why don't they see this?

Don Figueroa!! Are you listening? :) 

4. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

I'd buy repaints depending on character and toy. I don't mind them, as it just adds to the line, rather than taking away. Some examples I'd like to see:

Cyb Crosswise as Jazz
    Cyb Downshift as Wheeljack (he's a better toy than Energon Downshift)
    Energon Bruticus as Bruticus (I missed him first time around)
    Cyb Dark Scorponok as G1 Scorponok
    Maybe Cyb Ransack as Wheelie
    Maybe Cyb Unicron as Bludgeon

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Wan't all new, and all fresh. Not repaints, but remakes. With extreme poseability.

Only repaints I would'nt mind is if they used the same molds for a Prowl, Smokescreen, and a blue Bluestreak. Then maybe retooled into a Jazz

Then retooled seeker repaints into coneheads.

6. Black Omen

Black Omen Well-Known Member

You know if they release Swerve as a classic, Hasbro is going to use BB/C.Jumper mold. If Hasbro would the same molds as their G-1 counterparts, I would be happy with that. It'll be like getting the G-1 line again but almost better. No paint chips, better posability, etc. Now, if Wheeljack gets released, I wouldn't get a repaint of it unless I try to kitbash him into Marborl Whelljack.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Yeah I agree. Sometimes I'll pick up a repaint if I really dig the mold or if I like the new paint scheme, but overall I'd much rather have new molds, especially seeing the engineering and possibilities they were able to use in Classics right off the bat. If they need to throw some old molds into the bunch (like the Energon Combiners) in order to make some money to make new molds, more power to them but I won't be buying straight repaints much anymore at all, let alone a line I'm clamoring for new molds.

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    for the love of god, no more armada sideswipe repaints please :|

9. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I think Classics would be best done if it was all new molds. Though I like the idea of g1 accurate colors on a recolored Devastator, it's still not a classic Devastator to me. I'm actually kinda disappointed they used a remold from another line so early in this one, even if it is a special case.

Though to be honest I'll still prolly get him, as I missed the Cyb version. And all his parts being in one set is certainly a bonus.

10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

No NO NO. Again....NO. I only consider the new molds like Megs, Prime etc as classics...the rest, minicons, LOCS etc are just filler for the shelves.

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Yeah Hasbro has started to get lazy with repaints. Evident in the last few Alternator repaints where they went from remolding and new head to straight repaints.

12. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

The less repaints the better. Either have a new line or just slap universe on it.

13. Shipley

Shipley extremely online

News Credits:
    if theres a repaint/remold to be had, I'll take them as long as they fit in with the classics asthetic. We'll probably never have a correct Devestator for g1 again, but the energon recolor is going to be $20 well spent.

theres plenty of cars, jets, tanks, etc from the last 3 years that we could have a solid wave of just recolors without being too drastic.

the key here is they can't just look like the characters or be similar... they have to BE the character. Cyb Somkescreen looks right in car mode, but his head is Actionmaster Rad. Cyb Blurr has a sleek car mode with a perfect head. he works. he's already OUT, but he works. I'd even go for Cyb Red Alert with a new head as Ratchet.

Classics may turn into a bigger Frankenstein than RID was, but that'll be ok as long as they deliver as many quality toys RID did.

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Project budgets are finite, but fandom demands are infinite and unrealistic, it seems.

I'm a realist and I want repaints of figures from some previous lines so that we can have figures for characters that haven't ALREADY been homaged well lately.

Repaints I'd like:

Hardtop as Beachcomber
    Scattorshot as Warpath
    Shortround as Seaspray
    Overhaul as Brawn (easy enough)
    Armorhide as Huffer
    Crosswise as Jazz

Can't do again?
    Energon Towline as Ironhide and Rachet (DAMN YOU BOTCON)

Repaints I DON'T want since they're bad toys:
    Energon Inferno
    Energon Roadblock

Its better in the long-run for them to redeco toys they already have that are both reasonably good toys and good homages to G1, so they can then allocate resources for all-new toolings on the many, many G1 designs we haven't recieved at homage yet at this price point.

Wouldn't you like to see them attempt something we've never recieved a new toy of, like Blitzwing? Or Hoist?

You can't have your cake and eat it too - you must be realistic on what they are reasonably able to do.

15. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    The only repaints I want to see are slightly altered Starscream (seekers) and hopefully Prowl molds.

16. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I couldn't agree more.

17. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

The day the Armada Sideswipe mold shows up in Classics Packaging is the day I stop collecting. The person who keeps making the decision to re-release that mold needs to have someone say, "Uh, yeah, dude, that mold sucks rocks. And so do you."

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I keep hoping the Arm. Sideswipe mold has been used enough to wear it out, like the RiD Prowl & Sideburn molds are said to be.

19. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

That mold will never be worn out. You can't kill pure, unadulterated evil.

20. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Whatever employee(s) that allowed Hasbro/Takara to quadruple-dip on the Sideswipe mold and never touch Wheeljack aside from the cancelled Drench repaint ought to be bludgeoned with Runamuck figures. Then Oil Slick. AND Treadshot.

I am not averse to limited use of repaints in Classics, preferably as exclusives so they don't end up shelfwarming or just making Classics look bad, AND if they rely on less gimmicky - and crappy - figures. A G1-colored Slugslinger? Eh, not the best choice, but ok, I'm down for that. Cyclonus as Springer or Blades or Vortex, not so much. Devastator was acceptable to me because of the original's color choices as well as a suggested attempt to explain away the missing characters (Hook and Mixmaster), plus he's an exclusive some will complain about not seeing anyway.