Customs: classics/genration's/universe Springer

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Biofan813, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Biofan813

Biofan813 Biofan813

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    UPDATE 12/3
    Alt mode painting is almost complete. Third mod pics added. Sorry for how long this took.
    [​IMG]
    Third mode, transformation is still a work in progress.
    [​IMG]
    normal copter mode with added parts attached.

So I was doing some google searches the other week and came across a fine looking repaint/mod for (DOTM skyhammer?) The helio bot in the first wave of voyagers. Well as luck would have it, found one at mylocal target for 10 bucks. Snaged it up and ran with it.
    I have taken off the wheels from an old junker TFA bulkhead for the "third mode". Its not great but its greater than just a strait up repaint.

Pics will follow soon. Also Looking for a head. any good ideas?

2. Biofan813

Biofan813 Biofan813

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, I need help, I tore apart my poor cybertron hot rod (now without a head) and sized it up to skyhammer. Heads are about the same sizes, but i was lookimg for a swivel joint inside shyhammers head not a ball joint! So i can do one of two things, hollow out hotshot's head and plop it onto skyhammer's ball, or chop off the base for hot shot's head and glue skyhammer's head mount onto it. (skyhammer has a square base while hotshot has the basic circle base.) IDEAS?

3. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

Unless Skyhammer's ball joint socket is a separate piece from his head (if it is problem solved just install it into Hotshot's head), you best bet would too just install a new ball joint system or just find another socket that can fit on the already existing ball joint post.

This I think has the least chance of error since by installing a new socket into Hotshot's head, even if you overdrill or screw up on the new socket, you would still be able to fix it (it would just need some putty). However by just hollowing out his head, there stands the chance of the hole being misaligned or too large/uneven to fit the balljoint post. The best part about new ball joint socket, most of them are already rounded meaning all you would have to do is widen the hole with the appropriate drill bit. This works best if you happen to have any spare polycaps or after market ball joints. (check out JinSat's tutorial on this for more information)

However if you don't really care it he has a ball jointed neck or just a hinge, you could replace Skyhammer's neckpiece with Hotshot's. It really all depends on whether or not Hotshot's neck is a separate piece from his torso, i.e. if you crack his body apart, does the neck come off as a separate piece or is it split between the two torso halves. If it's the first option, just anchor it within Skyhammer's body, if it's the latter, glue the two halves together and use a really strong adhesive or bonding agent to make sure it doesn't break during transformation.

Really long ramble over, hope this helps with the custom.

4. Biofan813

Biofan813 Biofan813

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh yes it helps a million, As for hot shot's head sculpt it has a circle base for the neck thats a little to fat than skyhammers balljoint post. Do have a link for that balljoint walkthrough?

5. Quantum25

6. Biofan813

Biofan813 Biofan813

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  7. Quantum25

You can, but I've heard it works better with softer plastics (like with your standard action figures) than it does with the plastics Tf's are made from. It all depends on skill level and how much practice you've had.

8. Biofan813

Biofan813 Biofan813

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah.

9. Quantum25

I didn't realize that Hotshot's neck joint is attached to the head itself. In that case, since Hotshot's neck base is wider than Skyhammmer's balljoint post, widening the neck post with the appropriately sized drill will suffice. Just be sure to check its size as you go. A comparision pic of Hotshot's head and Skyhammer's body will help.

10. Biofan813

Biofan813 Biofan813

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, yes. I will post one up here ASP. I did brewk open HT's head. Unrotiontaly it is not hollow, and the neck is split into two pices of the head.