Classics/Generations Doomed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by zeroomegazx, Mar 4, 2011.

1. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    Is the classics line doomed?

It seems more than once a line has gotten ignored by stores to the the Xmas Holiday excess. I call it the Christmas Curse. Around late October many stores in a large radius around me stock up on the current lines. This year it was ROTF and the Current Generations line. They so overstock for the rush that lines released from then until even now get ignored by retail because their shelves are usually still full of excess xmas junk. In my entire area many people including myself never saw Jazz, Tracks, Blurr, Kup, or any other of the other figures in those waves. It is now March and with Wheeljack being release I was hoping to see a new wave come through as our shelves are finally starting to get slimmer however still nothing. I found one Red Alert today, and his wave but that is it.

The question remains, have the other waves even gotten out to other parts of the country? If they haven't is it possible Hasbro thinks they are not selling due to lack of reseller interest to refill their already full shelves? Could this give Hasbro the wrong idea and kill the line after seeing what great stuff has come out since November?

I thankfully knew this would happen as it kind of does every christmas time, so I've preorded everything online and had it come with no issue. But it would be nice to find things in stores sometime.

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

No. People have found Waves 5 and 6, Wave 2 of RtS and the Voyagers from that line. It's just like you said, poor distribution and excess of Christmas stuff. Lines haven't been cancelled simply due to Christmas in the past, so just wait it out. I for one, had a Target near me at Christmas time that was clogged with RtS.

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Yes. Classics is OVER, FINISHED

4. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    According to Hasbro Generations will continue through out 2011 and will coincide with the DOTM line.

As for retailers restocking, its a 100% your milage may vary situation. Stores are gearing up for their spring resets and finishing licking their wounds from Christmas/end of the year sales/inventory. I'm in the North East and so far I've seen all the generations figures that have been released including Kup and Scourge, but I haven't seen any of the RTS figures past Jazz/Tracks/Fallback/Mindset. That doesn't mean they won't arrive just that stores have more back stock of older waves to go through.

5. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Technically the Classics line has been long gone and replaced with Generations / RTS... But we all know what you mean. :) 

It's really dependent on the area.

In Los Angeles the newer waves have been restocked regularly at all the Targets I have been to, but sell out within days.

Prime and Bee seem to be shelf warmers, but even those eventually sell.

TRU recently received the newer waves and they sell out just as fast.

Wal-Mart has not released any of the newer waves, but hopefully they will soon.

So once again, it's dependent on the area.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  6. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Hey ze,not exactly like you are in but here in east texas pretty much the whole line like generations,pcc,and rts are just sitting there from waves 1 and 2,I have yet to see waves 3 onward in my walmart.Which is why I have given up at retail stores,and done started going all online,as I have a feeling in another year or two stores like walmart will stop carrying toys all together,just actual toy stores like toys r us will be the only ones left selling them,all because of portable devices like ipads and tablets with wifi,and of course cell phones that do everything except wipe your butt when you take a crap.To most fast paced people those are the new toys,so get use to it.Later.

7. stilettoheels

stilettoheels Banned

title reminds me of something Hunter S. Thompson would write about.

8. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    its done, over finished, moved on.

transformers as we know it will no longer be produced.

9. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    with the vortex pictures i see a merging of the lines which would make sense that way placeses the uk get a chance to get the classic toys

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Ha!

I'm sorry, I meant "no." No, Classics is not doomed. It'll just keep getting rebranded, or something like RTS which started as a movie line then evolved into a classic character haven line will happen.

11. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

NJ is still in pre reset mode

12. tomigaoka

tomigaoka Well-Known Member

NE as usual sleeping mode!

13. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Fair-weather Transformer fans... sigh..

14. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Wave 1 well al lwaves was never released here becuase hasbro confirmed no gens/rts for latin America

15. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it never ends!

16. The Asp

The Asp Are we having fun yet?

Have you seen the upcoming 'Kre-O' and the 'Rescue Bots'?

That is the future of Transformers.

After the DOTM line ends & the few Prime figures you've probably seen are released, Hasbro will switch the focus of the brand on younger audiences. Ages 03 to 11.

The only bone Hasbro will throw older fans is the Legends/Cyberverse range. This will feature classic and newer characters at a size and level of complexity that will 'disappoint' older fans, but will allow Hasbro to produce more toys, at a lower cost.

Believe me, I work in Hasbro's legal department.

Ethel Lem

17. alephnull2005

alephnull2005 Banned

As far as where I live, I have discovered that there are a handful of stores that seem to move product on a consistent enough basis to restock regularly, of the 20 or so(combined) walmart's, target's and tru's around me, approximately 1 of each are reliable to have the new waves within a few weeks of being sighted at retail(thankfully all nearby), but without checking regularly you will miss out as they go fast, I have in the past month found:2x Scourge, 2x Kup, lots of BIS, multiple Wreck-Gars, Perceptors, all the WFC, pretty much all the RTS scouts like Wind-charger, etc.(no RTS legends or Voyagers yet though). As far as D00med? Not likely, I'm sure Hasbro is well aware of the numbers they expect to generate and the areas in which they sell consistently, furthermore, I'm sure it is a bit of a self-fulfilling cycle as to why these select stores always seem to have them stocked(in other words, they are a more centered part of the distribution stream as opposed to the weaker markets that consistently shelf warm lines) The C.U.G.R. line or it's future incarnations may change, perhaps scaling back somewhat, but demand is always going to result in supply from somewhere.

18. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    Good to know that other parts are getting stock. The north east has been in a state of freeze as I can see from other posters. New York is really bad. I travel all over for work so I stop where I can and I just see the same thing. Guess I'll stick to online shopping for now. Good to know that things are selling well, nothing to worry about!

19. tomigaoka

tomigaoka Well-Known Member

Did WALMART already displayed PERCEPTOR & WRECKGA on their shelf in any state?

I just saw KUP&SCOURGE... Can someone confirm this? WALMART will be my change to get PER & WRECK!

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think someone at Hasbro got their car keyed or got food poisoning on a trip to North Carolina and now there is some company rule that we are the last place in the US to have any of their products delivered.

I've seen so little new stuff from Hasbro at the local retailers that I have to check the net just to make sure Hasbro hasn't gone out of business. It seems almost impossible to collect Transformers because retailers don't get new stock even when the pegs are down to just a few shelf warmers. Some places don't even carry GI Joe any more. About all you find from Marvel is some peg warming Iron Man figures. Heck even the juggernaut called Star Wars has thin to empty pegs too often.