Classics: Engineering touches going the extra mile

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cheebs, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Now that I have all of the first wave of Classics, it seems like every single one of them has at least one unexpected touch of engineering. Maybe it's because they don't have to spend some of the design budget for gimmicks...Maybe it's just that the designers keep getting better. I dunno. Anyway:

Prime: They didn't have to make the top of the truck detach and become a shotgun...but they did. They didn't have to give him waist rotation especially with the upper torso rotation already there...but they did.

Hotrod: They didn't have to make that cool shin flap flip up to smooth out the underside of the car (and the expanding/retracting tires to go with it)...but they did. They didn't have to give him his saw-hand...but they did. They didn't have to make his hips slide forward to clear the windshield better...but they did.

Bumblebee: They didn't have to make him smaller than the other deluxes (and then throw in a cool transforming jet ski to make up the value)... but they did. They didn't have to give him faux seats created from his upper thighs...but they did.

Megatron: They didn't have to give him a clicking trigger...but they did. They didn't have to put a cool crosshair etched into the gun's sight...but they did. They didn't have to make his shins slide up to cover his knee joints...but they did.

Astrotrain: They didn't have to put balljoints on the shuttle nose to allow it to tuck up nicely against his shins...but they did. They didn't have to find a place to put the gun in all three modes...but they did.

Starscream is pretty straight-forward with nothing I wouldn't expect...but: They didn't have to re-mold him that extensively for Ramjet...but they did. :D 

2. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

Ya know, for the first time in years I have been excited about the toys. With the exception of the Alternators, everything since RID has been a drought.

At the moment, I have BB. I hesitated... but I am glad I did it. I am more than satisfied with this figure. Frankly, this is the way it should have always been.

I can't decide which is next: Starscream, or Hot Rod (Rodimus). Prime is gonna have to wait- heck, maybe all of them. In just 1 1/2 months I'm gonna be in the Panama Canal, and I should be saving!

I do have 1 question tho: does Rodimus' knees bend?

Altho I'm not all teh way sold on his jet ski, BB absolutely rocks!

WAL

3. T.K. Sunglasses

T.K. Sunglasses -

Good thing too. If it didn't click, how would you know the gun had fired?!

4. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I LOVE the little touches in the Classics line. Bumblebee is awesome and is my favorite. I have yet to get Optimus Prime or Megatron.

The whole Classics line has a lot of touches meant for the older fans. I love that they went the extra step to do that.

5. Def2k1

Def2k1 Plastic Crack Addict

As a proud owner of the entire set so far I have to agree, this line, so far, is incredible. As for Rodimus, yes his knees bend but, in my opinion, there's a few flaws with both of his modes so I'd definitely get Starscream first (get them all eventually though cause they all rock)

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Well said, Cheebs.

Out of the 4 deluxes that I have, I have to admit that Rodimus is probably the best one overall in way of transformation & engineering, anime styled proportions, and anime accurate color. I found that a nice surprise since he was the Classic that I least wanted when they were first unveiled.

Even though I think the Classics line is as close to perfect as wel'll get with TF's, I do have a few nit-picks:

Rodimus: Near perfect expcept for the kinda lame purple flame that you insert into his gun.

Astrotrain: Limited poseability and kind of a weak train mode.

Starscream: The colors are too light (his red is more of a orange-pink), the fact that you have to bend his wings back in bot mode to pose the arms with their guns attached, and his empty chest area underneath in jet mode. But standing next to Skywarp & Thundercracker, I'm confident he'll look 100% better.

Bumblebee: The fact that he has no gun, and while in bot mode, his frame is pretty skeletal underneath the roof & windshield.

But like I said, those are just *minor* nit-picks and are in no way meant to sound as bitching or whining. The positives outweigh the negatives 100 to 1, and at the end of the day, these are as perfect as they come. Can't wait to get Prime to see how he fairs with the rest!

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been slowly accumulating Classics as I stumble over limited numbers of them at TRU. So far all I have is Op, Megs, Roddy, and Bumbles (no SS or Astro yet). At this point, Rodimus ranks at the bottom of my list, with Bumblebee at the top. (but it's like ranking the lowest as 7.5 out of 10)

I think Bumblebee is quite special to me, since he looks a LOT like design sketches I did for what a New Beetle-based Bumblebee toy might look like, as either an Alternator (before the official design drawings surfaced), or as a basic toy. (my transform design was very similar, but not nearly as elegant.)

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My BBTS Pile of Loot shipped yesterday, so I can't comment for another few days.

But do the Classics have light-piping? 'Cause I honestly think that's the best 'little engineering bonus' possible.

9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, all the deluxes (haven't picked up the voyagers yet... waiting for my preorder for this month with Jetfire!) are great figures. I pretty much rank them,

1. Bumblebee: I think that, not only is he special because this is the first BB figure we've had in... god since G2?... but they also did so many little things. Like making him smaller and giving him a jet ski/pack. And the way he transforms is so much more elegant than deluxes from previous lines.

2. Astrotrain: I really, really think they finally came very, very close to making an almost perfect triple changer. In fact, the only real nitpick I have is that the wings look a little weird when folded up in the back while he's in bullet train mode... the rest is just gravy. The only way they could have possibly made this guy any better was if they had done him as a voyager instead.

3. Starscream: Animation accurate Starscream. How can you not love that? The only real problem with him are his arm cannons being as large as they are for safety reasons, but if you push his wings back a little bit, it's not that big of a deal. The only other minor nitpick is, like others have said, his color seems a bit off. Well, the placement of his color actually in jet mode, but I guess Hasbro felt that they couldn't sell an all silver jet without some decoration on it. But it's new and it works. As other have said... once we've got all three on the shelf (SS, SW & TC) I'm sure Screamer won't look as strange to the eye.

4. Rodimus: Probably my third favorite TF character, but my least favorite Classics figure. For me, while still a stunning figure, there are a few small things that could have made him better. Like, his shoulders, a little more Hot Rod a little less Rodimus Prime would have taken away the slight hunchback look he has in some posses. Or, his little exhaust gun ala Crosswise, they should have nixed that idea and just given him his two blasters... speaking of which, I should put my reissue Hot Rod's twin blasters in my Classic Rodimus' hands... see if he can hold them. However, there are other little things that make up for the few minor flaws like Cheebs said.

All in all, this is the first line of figures where I've been ecstatic about everyone in the first wave of toys. Usually there's one or two guys that I regret buying, but all of these guys are on par with or better than the best of Cybertron, Energon, RID & BW (which were, IMO, the top four TF toy lines). So, even though Roddy rates like number four out of my four... that' like ranking him an 8 or 7.5 or something out of 10.

10. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I honestly can't wait to see what little touches there'll be with the next batch (Wave 1.5 to 2). We have the beast minicons, Mirage, Grimlock, Jetfire and a few others before Christmas. I sure hope Classics continues as a subline instead of Alternators as there are quite a few characters I'd like to see redone, closer to their G1 selves that could not be done properly with Alternators.

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Aren't alot of the touches from Don Figueroa's concept designs? Judging by the toys, Hasbro and Takara closely followed his design for guys like Prime (though parts were obviously changed).

12. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I have to say, Classics Prime and Megatron are amazingly well-done figures.

Prime's weapons transforming into his alt mode are flawless. He is my new Optimus prime.

Megatron is a good application of the original G1 concept of having a robot turn into a flat gun.

Now I am less impressed with the smaller size.

Astrotrain. I wanted to like him. I really did. His arms/ball joints are just bad and pop out all the time. The chest fin is wabbly and akward. The legs are solid, but the train mode is weak.

Starscream: He is floppy in the wing and transformation. Not to mention that we have had no less than 3 're-dos' of the G1 alt mode and transformation, it really didn't impres me.

Hot Rod: Finally, a NEW transformation for a car. Very nice design. I forsee breaking plastic on him though. We will have 'Hotrood's arm Pegs broke' threads. The way you transform him willc ause stress and kids will break it.

Bumblebee: I thought I would like him more. He is nice. The Jetski is not as cool as I thought it would be. I kinda wish the Classics line would just be all minibots...

Simply put... I am not excited about future Deluxes... Just the larger ones.

Grimlock, Mirage and seeker repaints look really 'blah' now that I have seen the current set.

I do want Cosmos, and Warpath. And I do want they to repaint shrotround into seaspray. So Go classics!

13. naladahc

naladahc Plastic Crack Addict

[​IMG]

Oh. I thought you said "going the extra smile"! :) 

Seriously though, Bumblebee's "smile" just makes you want to own him! He's like screaming BUY ME!

He and Bear from the now defunct Palisades' Harvey Birdman line both have kick ass smiles!

14. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Look at that pic, they look so cute together!

15. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

The way of the Future even for Transformers..

16. Jazz-Bot

Jazz-Bot Autobot Reconnaisance

Wel, not EVERY toy should smile, but if the do Classics Jazz, he should. Classics ironhide..not so much.

17. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

How long before the entire front page is full of Classics threads.....

18. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    The front page is reserved for Cla-*attacked by ninjas*

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Very well said Cheebs and I agree 110%. The Classics are definitely not without flaws but they're little tiny things that are hardly noticeable. Even this first wave completely kicks the shit out of all other TFs released in the past (except for MP Convoy/ 20th Anniversary prime), including Alternators.

I really hope they extend this line...

20. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I picked up Starscream yesterday and while I love the design, the cheap looking plastic and shoddy paint apps really bring it down a few notches.