Classics devastator

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Matty, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ok, I just recently moved and I rediscovered my classics Devastor. I always strongly disliked the figure. In fact, after I got him I transformed him once and then threw him to the side never really to be touched again.

I bring up this topic because I checked on Ebay, BBTS, etc, to check what kind of value this guy was getting and I was shocked! Even a loose, mint set is demanding just about $100.

So I was curious and hoping some people could help me out 'cuz I've been debating dumping the figure . . . what makes him so great???

2. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    nothing. the fact he is an exclusive and the he is the only classics devastator.
    he may be a repaint, but for now, thats the best anyone can get. if your looking for a toy to sub as a classics dev. hes your only option. and due to the short supply and high demand, prices are really high

3. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

The only thing I can figure is the five constructicons balance out a seriously lopsided Good-Guy to Bad-Guy ratio on the classics shelf.

4. Screamer52488

Screamer52488 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I got mine on clearance at Walmart for $25. I so wish I had bought 2.

5. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I actually like the Target Exclusive RID Landfill Devestator Much better.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I would LOVE a Classics Devastator, but the very cheapest I could find in the Botcon dealer room was $75.
    One person had an AFA graded one for $250. I made a point of laughing every time I walked past it. I believe it was down to $150 by the end of the convention. It was there last year too, and I expect to see it next year.

7. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    First off? This comic: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-funnies/113614-its-fun-ness-stick.html

Classics Devastator is a figure you have to pretty much put aside the instructions for to unlock his strengths. As DilaZirk's comic shows, when properly arranged, he is EXTREMELY poseable, when you don't slavishly lock everything in like the instructions tell you to. Unlike the other combiners from the Energon line, he has something passing for hands. He's suitably imposing next to Classics Deluxes.

Here, I took some pics to show you what I mean. I apologize for these being sloppy, I literally snapped them on the spur of the moment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No mods were made to this figure, no photoshop trickery was used. This is a perfectly stock Devastator, straight off my shelf (Dust and all ><)

8. Blaspherian

Blaspherian Well-Known Member

Classics Devastator is a good fun figure. Like Superion and Bruticus from the same toy line, you can find different ways to transform him, making him more stable and with elbows, or (4 arms and 2 hook arms is another way I found out. That makes him look like a 6 armed robot monster) Anyway I have mine tearing movie Bumble-Bee apart. cheers

9. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for those pics Polenicus! Gonna try those modes out. Although I think Energon Bruticus has the best passable hands.

But to the OP: He's Devestator, he's a combiner and he's green. That's enough for a lot of people :)  you can try and sell yours to Draven if you don't want it :)  hehe

10. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am one of those people kicking themselves for passing this every time even after clearance. Didn't think the demand would be so high, and there's no way I'm going to pay +75 bucks on a toy I could have bought for 20. Oh well, it's one of those Classics Ultra Magnus fiascos all over again.

11. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Got mine from clearance at $13.

12. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I got mine for about retail, so I have no idea how it must feel to get it for aftermarket prices. Poor Draven. :p 

Like Pole said, there's a million combinations, and I feel that the individual molds are the best out of the Energon combiner molds.

13. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

A long time ago, I spent my beer money on him and I regretted doing so. I don't regret it anymore.

14. Seeker24

Seeker24 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think it would be awesome if they came up with a add on kit for this like Superion.

15. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. And one for Bruticus too.

16. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Classics Devastator is a pretty nice figure. He looks great in person. The green and purple really pop out. And he's quite poseable, as you can see from some of the pictures.

That's what I paid for mine. I got two of them at Walmart and left the other two. I ended up selling my MISB one for $50 last summer. Should've waited, oh well.

I'd take one. I'd also like for them to include a head attachment to resemble G1 Devy and a purple chest plate.

17. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I'd love to pick one up, but every time I stumble upon one for a reasonable amount of money, I'm usually strapped for cash.

18. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i personally like this figure a lot.. not just coz its the only classics devvy, its simply a fun figure.. it doesnt look the best figure, probably not even the best combiner in the classics/universe line.. but its still quite a cool set

19. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Wow...I never even tried to do anything like that to mine. I think I've never really given it a shot because I became to frustrated with it (the instructions do suck!). But maybe I really do just gotta trash the instructions.

I was amazed at the prices that these guys are demanding so maybe I should give give him a second shot and work with him a little bit. Won't hurt to try right?

Thanks for all the posts everybody; really helped me out. And a special thanks to Polenicus for posting those pictures. I'm gonna try some of them out.

20. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, those pics are great.. i never messed around with my devvy much either