Classics Decepticons..

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Erland, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just started getting back into collecting since Christmas and I'm liking the classics line.

I wouldn't mind getting the G1's but in the condition that I want, it's going to be expensive so the classics are a great substitute, and I like how they are updated and all around "better" than the G1's, IMHO.

Well since I started collecting again I have picked up several of the Generations and RTS and i've only got two left to complete them and then on to the Universe which are going to be harder for me to get.

Anyways, I have found that I have way more Autobots then decepticons. I'm not a fan of some of them like Thunderwing or whatever his name is it's god awful ugly. I did bite the bullet and get sky shadow since the paint is better than that blue/grey crap. I also got skullgrin, Thundercracker and Dirge. I would love to get the other 5 seekers but they are out of my price range for now but, i'm gonna get them. I'm not a fan of the classics megatron but what's the decepticons with out him? oh and the masterpiece are way way too far out of my price range for now but eventually i'll get them. I have the G2 Megatron..

It basically boils down to this...

Which Decepticon classics do you recommend and why?

Right now the only ones I have in my list are (not including tapes):

Acid Storm
    Astrotrain
    RamJet
    Skywarp
    Starscream
    Thrust
    Nemesis Prime
    Scourge
    Soundwave (Reissue)
    Megatron (Nerf)
    Unicron

Have:
    Thundercracker
    Dirge
    Sky Shadow
    Skullgrin
    Megatron G2
    Soundwave (WFC)

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    >CTRL + F Cyclonus
    >No results

Shame on you OP. Shame on you. Get him.

Other than that, it's hard to say without venturing into third party and opening a can of worms. There aren't many official Decepticon Classics molds.

3. Cecilia

Cecilia Transforming

My con classics are abit on the low (actually they are SEVERELY OUTNUMBERED and OUTGUNNED :p ) but cool aditions to your list would be Cyclonus (I got the battle in space one, better accuracy in color) and RTS Lugnut, which is awesome.

For Soundwave there is music Label :) 

4. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Buy a bunch of FP Bruticus sets and use them to fill up space as drones.

5. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Get the United Megatron voyager - he's about as close as you can get to a perfect classics Megatron toy.

6. Zendai

Zendai Minicon Addict

Seven more Scourges for the Sweeps.

7. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I know I'm gonna get pilloried for suggesting this, but ROTF Bludgeon can fit in well enough...

Also, nab yourself a Universe Drag Strip if possible. Maybe a TFTM Walmart Fracture, too, if only because the deco is striking on the Classics Mirage mold.

8. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cyclonus for sure, TFCC Over-Run and Runamuck, Bludgeon and Lockdown from ROTF, Lugnut from HFTD.

Unfortunatley, if you want some season 1 Con's, 3rd party is a good way to go. If you have the extra scratch I recommend TFC Hercules, Fansproject Insecticons and Perfect Effects Reflector

9. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will be getting these... they look so much better then the official ones but, they will take some time for me to get.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, it's gonna give me some thinking to do and a lot of research.

10. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scourge. I find him pretty impressive.

11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't listen to people who say there are no Classics cons. I have a heck of an army.

Get yourself a WfC Soundwave, and either a WfC or a United Megatron. Darkwing is a good looming presence. Lugnut is great but may not be for purists. If you have any interest in the character you should get RotF Bludgeon, you can hardly do better for that character. I also recommend Straxus aka Darkmount.

The FP Insecticons are also great, highly recommended. If you REALLY have money to burn there is Bruticus...but were I in your position I'd wait for FoC Bruticus. FoC also has a Shockwave coming out that kicks the butt of my current placeholder, Energon Shockblast (but, this fig does have a very good head).

You were already lectured properly re: Cyclonus. Galvatron's not a great fig but he goes very well with Cyclonus and Scourge.

I know you don't like Thunderwing but geez, that character is REALLY cool. :) 

12. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Get them all, but stick Reissue Soundwave on a G1 shelf where he belongs.

13. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    He's surely not for everyone, but dammit I love the hell out of ROTF Mindwipe. Yes in classics.

And yes TJ, every time you say Bruticus I say Mindwipe :) 

I should also mention that ROTF has not one but two pretty badass Bludgeons. A Voyager and a Deluxe. Both are really cool, but the less popular one (the deluxe) is arguably more classicsy.

I also echo the cries of others suggesting Music Label Soundwave (though he's damn expensive) and Cyclonus. WFC Soundwave is awesome, but Music Label Soundwave is super awesome.

Don't make the mistake so many have made and consider shelling out for Masterpiece Megatron. He looks awesome until you get him.

You might consider Energon/Cybertron Scorponok/Dark Scorponok. I like that figure way more than I should.

I probably can't talk you out of buying Nerf Megatron (I've owned two different ones despite my dislike of it), but WFC Megatron is totally a better figure. He's just not big enough, and isn't a gun.

Universe Onslaught is a pretty awesome figure, and quite a bit cheaper than the combining version (who is inferior in all respects except that he combines), but he shares a mold with Hardhead. If you don't like duplicate molds, I would say go with Hardhead since there's multiple options for Onslaught.

You mention you desire Unicron. There are four versions of that mold. The most common is the Energon/Universe one (it was released twice..actually maybe three times.. with no changes). It is pretty accurate to the Energon version of the character, but only superficially resembles the version of Unicron you care about. The Cybertron version is the same as the Energon version in sculpt, but is a black repaint. Then there's the Takara 2010 Universal Dominator Unicron. Most folks agree he's the best, but he's by far the most expensive. He has a totally different headsculpt which is much closer to the Unicron you know and a much more toon accurate paint job. Then there's the more recently released, not-as-expensive-as-takara-but-still-expensive Amazon Exclusive 25th Anniversary Unicron. Same Headsculpt as the Takara one (with more accurate green eyes). Some people say the paintjob on Amazon is more accurate than Takara. Others think that is preposterous. No version is perfect. There has been much debate about this.

There is also a Prime Unicron coming later this year that nobody knows anything about, but might be cool.

14. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Beast

Heres a few movie-verse classics bots I have on my shelf right now that weren't mentioned yet...

-ROTF Hoist
    -ROTF Gears
    -ROTF Brawn
    -ROTF Swerve
    -ROTF G1 Deco Mixmaster
    -ROTF Long Haul
    -HFTD Payload (hes a dead-ringer for G2 Long Haul)
    -HFTD Seaspray
    -ROTF Whirl
    -HTFD Strafe
    -HFTD Fallback (or Outback)
    -DOTM Shockwave (can't wait for a frigging actual classics version)
    -DOTM Skyhammer

Theres a few more I'm missing but thats the gist of it

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Half of those aren't Decepticons

16. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    I own a Mindwipe... and I eagerly await to unbox it when headrobots comes out with it's upgrade to make it a classics character.

Comparing FP Bruticus to a movie figure in terms of what to put on a classics shelf doesn't really make sense... o_O 

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    mindwipe works since it's a hybrid figure imo, just don't extend the brown parts out of the shin, and it kills the movie look pretty well, movie 1 crankcase is an awesome update to a very obscure g1 figure too

18. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Dear Lord.

Anyways, I've got a few for the OP off the top of my head:

- Universe Overlord
    - Ehobby Dark Skyfiire
    - Thunderwing
    - United Rumble/Frenzy
    - Universe Darkwind (w/Renderform upgrades)
    - Universe Skyfall (w/Renderform Upgrades)
    - Universe Onslaught (w/Headrobots upgrade)
    - RTS Lugnut

19. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Universe Overlord? Do you mean the upcoming Botcon one?

I am confused. Or did you mean Overload? Because that one's technically an Autobot.

20. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    As I say every time, not everyone agrees on what "classics" is. In fact almost no two people do. To me, Mindwipe looks great (with his stock head, though I expect to love the new one even more) and Bruticus doesn't. Neither are in any way technically classics. That's my point.