Minor/Repaint: Classics Cyclonus

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SonOfNemesis, May 9, 2010.

1. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Here is Cyclonus. It's more G1 accurate and is painted to blend right in with the Classics figure line without standing out too much as a custom (it is definitely ultra high quality though and is painted with extreme love and care).

The Galvatron custom was painted after another, but departed customizer's paint scheme and style, I couldn't help it, it looked so good (even got the cannon and other paint colors directly from him, ha ha)!

I would love feedback on these guys, they are not my typical style and I am leaning on continuing this style or at least making more customs like this if they are received well. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Well, the Galvatron custom looks awesome.

Not so the Cyclonus custom however. Firstly, why are the forearms and knees a different color? They stick out like sour grapes. And why is he dark blue? Since when has Cyclonus ever been dark blue? How is that more G1 accurate? What was wrong with the toy's original colors? They fit in perfectly with the Classics lineup perfectly to begin with.

Why fix what isn't broken?

3. SonOfNemesis

Well, just my take on what I thought to be a more G1 accurate Cyclonus. One down so far. Thanks for the honesty though, it's really appreciated.

4. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    While I find that the the paint job is well done, I also find that it was unnecessary for this fig, it looked good "as is". However, since you're already at it, why not take all those dark blue areas and make them that purple color you made the arms and knees? That will definately give it a nice G1 look.
    Like I said though, good job on the painting itself, it's just the choice of colors I'm not sure about. That Galvatron looks good too!
    Later

5. SonOfNemesis

Thanks, I made a previous Cyclonus custom with a much lighter purple tone to it but this one really stood out to me (after all the universe stock one is a darker blue as well).

6. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Paint job looks very smooth and well done. I also see you chose a glossy paint. That's very bold!

Any pics of the alt mode?

I also agree Galvatron is very nice. I've saved that pic and might try the same colour scheme on mine.

I also repainted my cyclonus, but I left the purple alone. I only repainted the beige/grey parts. It never made much sense to me to have 2 or 3 different colours for those parts, so I made them all silver.

Can I ask, when painting Cyclonus, how did you go about doing the elbow joints? Did you take apart the shoulder assembly? I could never really figure out how to pry it apart so I just left the elbows unpainted.

7. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Cyclonus actually did have different colored arms on the show. But the dark blue used of most of him isn't very accurate, I'd change that

8. SonOfNemesis

Bruticus82, thanks!

If you are referring to the actual two-part elbow joint, just pop out the pin. I actually use a roll of regular masking tape as a backboard. I put the elbow joint right on the side of the masking tape roll, then take a punch, and hammer away. Usually the pin will stick into the tape and then I just pull it out with a pair of pliers. Sand it down to prevent rub and then paint and assemble. Good to go.

If it's the forearm-to-elbow joint, just paint around it with a very tiny brush or airbrush it. I didn't have a problem at all.

When painting the joints inside the shoulder housing, I just hand brushed them after airbrushing a base to get all of the crevices and still had no prob.

MrSoundwaveGuy, It's too late for a paint change man, but I will go the same route I took last time I did this guy for the future.

9. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

paint apps look great man. so clean.... and really clean.

10. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Wow, tough room....

I like it furthermore, it's your collection. Nevermind the naysayers, if you like it enjoy it and don't let fans tear you down.

Keep it up!

11. SonOfNemesis

Thanks guys, I really like how these ones look too. Cyclonus may have missed the mark regarding the G1-ness of him but I'll take it as a learning lesson. You are right though Death, customs are our own.

The tough room is good though, I like raw honesty, it helps me to pay more attention and to learn more. Criticism is good!

12. Will of Unicron

Will of Unicron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The Galvatron kicks ass and the glossy paint stands out well. I would have kept Cyclonus in the purple color you chose instead of splitting it in 2 colors. Still looks great though!

13. SonOfNemesis

Thanks man!

14. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think it looks nice - I think I know where you may be coming from with the colour scheme, the early(ish) UK comics?

15. SonOfNemesis

Well I used several pics and cartoon scenes for a reference. I thought it looked pretty accurate but I find that Cyclonus's color scheme is pretty tricky.

16. Ironkorr

Ironkorr Ironkorr Customs

Ebay:
    Wow, thats sick dude. I love the different styles you have. Looks real clean

17. hippymule

hippymule Duocon

You say honesty I say fagget.

18. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

NICE! Cyclonus's thighs are no longer 2 different colored plastics! I like the last pic they make a great pair the 2 robot friends.

19. SonOfNemesis

Thanks! This one was made to fit more in sync with the actual stock figure collection without the cheesiness of the stock figures. I did try to get a G1 look as well so it's made to be high quality and more G1 over the stock figure.

Thanks for the comments!