Customs: Classics Customs: Which "look" do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jun 14, 2010.

?

Which "look" do you prefer?

Poll closed Jul 15, 2010.
  1. Newly Pristine

25 vote(s)
    78.1%
  2. Weathered and War-torn

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I've been thinking about this custom-look aesthetic for a while and still am really on the fence as to how I feel about it. That being said, I thought I'd start a discussion thread about it and see what you guys think as well.

Classics/Universe (and now "Generations") seem to be pretty much all the rave with collectors and customizers for a great number of reasons, not the least of which is that it's essentially a fanboy's dream of having the oldskool bots revisioned with modern toy engineering and detail.

The thing I'm on the fence with, is this: while these toys are more aimed for the adult crowd who tend to enjoy lots of detail and more realism, do you prefer your Classics bots looking nice and pristine or heavily weathered and panel-lined?

After much thought and even exploration, I still haven't decided which I like better. I actually like both for their own reasons.

Newly pristine bots: They're in their prime (if you pardon the pun), and looking factory fresh! Sunstreaker is very proud to be nicely polished and waxed, and his fellow Autobots are happy that they've had their Energon baths after some hard battles with the Decepticons.

Weathered and war-torn: These bots really show the wear that the civil war of Cybertron has done to them. The dirt and grime of the skies and the dust of the desert terrains of Earth really take their toil on our favorite 'bots and 'cons.

Now, I think the easy answer here is, "I love my TFs heavily weathered, especially since I'm custom TFs! It's certainly easy and fun to do!" This look certainly has its appeal . . . but I have to admit that the "factory fresh" look has quite a bit of appeal to me too, especially since some of these toys are THE best incarnations of these TFs since G1.

What do you guys think?

(Here are some examples to help you: Radicons Customs Classics Gallery :) )

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

War-Torn. Mainly on cons, but some bots as well. I think it's mainly forced, though, as i'm still not 100% sure on getting smooth paint jobs yet, so war tron is a good way to make mistakes look good.

Plus, it's fun to rip through a figure with a Dremel to create 'scars'. :D 

I'd say part of it is the character, though. I threw a coat of candy red on my Ironhide, and while it was one of the best reds i've ever seen, it still didn't really scream Ironhide. 30 mins of drybruching later, and you have a real Ironhide: worn and dirty, but still ready for battle. If it was Sunstreaker on the other hand...

Personally, though, even if the bot is perfectly fine, i can't stand shields that look brand spanking new. No way. Not unless they are just riolling off the production line, literally. Otherwise, it has to have a few dents and wounds to make it seem like a Shield.

3. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, I would like to add this little addendum: I am only referring to robot modes here. Oddly, I do rather enjoy the alt modes to be nice and slick, especially sports cars.

That being said, my focus here is the robots themselves, but feel free to discuss both modes and any ideas/opinions you have regarding this issue. :) 

4. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

worn metal look thoug i do like to mix it up

5. Treadshot A1

I dunno, my only exception to the clean alt. mode is any military vehicle, like a tank, which basically 9 times out of 10 has damage for the sake of looking like a tank. ;) 

I've recently been trying out a new method, which is simply to leave everything o the robot mode a really dark black/brown/etc., and only paint clean colours on the actual car parts. I kinda like it, as it means i get a good car and bot, but the trade off for the robot is sometimes too great.

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I really like both, but as for my personal taste when building these customs, I'd have to say newly pristine (or as close to that as my paint skills allow). lol

7. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i prefer clean, just not a fan of battle damage

8. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I voted "prisitine" as I'm always impressed by a custom that can manage to look like a factory-finished toy.

That said, I generally do more shaded "dirty" customs myself as the technique I've developed over the years works better for that look.

Also, depending on the character, I might prefer one look or another.

Custom Tracks = Shiny and clean

Custom Kup = Beat up

But as I've gone out of my way to commission a wide variety of artists (in addition to my own work), my collection has a very varied look in terms of style. Which, I think suits this world of living robots....

D/L

9. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Both.. Esspecially with the movie line. You can get that beaten worn dirty bot mode with the sqeeky clean alt mode with the exception of military or construction vehicles. Then alt modes get the work look as well.

10. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    clean, looking like factory,

11. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

I prefer clean and factory fresh looking, though I'll sound off some of the same opinions, a mix is also great. An interesting way to mix up both styles into one could be a shiny smooth paint job combined with some gritty silver drybrushing on the robot limbs. (I could be daydreaming, I got a gut feeling someone will tell me about rub issues :D )

It's true as D/L said, it also depends on the character. An excellent example is TTT's Wreckgar, who looks so roughed up it's perfect. But vain ol' Sunstreaker wouldn't appreciate being dirtied up.

It's good to have artists out there who'll do either of them, just makes customs a whole more special.

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I know I'm certainly appreciative for you guys sharing your thoughts here! I do want to be clear that I really enjoy a wide variety of customs that each of you guys make, and I feel there's something special about each one. :) 

As far as movie customs go, I tend to want to see them as close to their screen counterparts as possible, so my mind's made up there. Pretty much, the main line I've struggled with my own opinions and tastes with this topic is the Classics/Universe 2.0[and upcoming Generations! :) ]. I believe that I tend to gravitate more towards the "pristine" look myself, but as my buddy TTT knows, I love to see a roughed up bot any day of the week, too :) 

I've only done a handful of Classics-eque customs myself, and this struggle started to come to the surface for me when I made a "weathered" Grimlock. If you buy a Classics Grimlock as is, you'll notice that he already has some black wash on him, but I felt that it wasn't finished. In the end, I really enjoyed what I came up with, but really didn't think I'd want many more Classics-eque customs like him. Weathering is fun and relatively easy to do, so the temptation is there, sure.

At any rate, I did think it would make for a good discussion :) 

13. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    depends on the bot/version. i generally like them new and shiny, like optimus in the movie scene before he fights megs. but the shine might be of place for say, a repaint of optimus in sleepmode. seems like each has its place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but i bet FrogDna could do something nasty with a sleepmode Op.

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I voted "weathered and war torn" myself, because I have the most fun doing that kind of thing, but really it's more of a case-by-case situation.

Example: for my planned D.E.R.T. team customs, four of the six are built to handle off-road terrain, and their designs look so much better if they show some wear and tear. On the other hand, the last two of the team (made from E. Snow Cat and E. Mirage) deal in climates that wouldn't have things like dirt or natural filfth, so I think I'm going to go with "showroom clean" for them.

In all cases, though, the robot mode parts are usually painted up to look like worn metal regardless of how the alt. mode looks.

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Sometimes it looks really great with battle damage, but I generally prefer the new "factory fresh" look.

16. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    to me, logically it makes more sense they look as though they are more "alive" if weathered. Most TFs are old, and have fought a lot....why not bring that to life in the paint.

While it might be possible there's some sort of "repair and clean up shop" within each faction, I don't imagine TFs getting makeovers at the spa.

17. Treadshot A1

I imagine they'd get cosmic rust. :lol 

I wonder who the Con's use as a medic other than Scalpel (who, let's face it, wasn't much of a 'medic' in the healing sense of the word).

18. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't honestly vote on this because I love both equally. But I strongly stand-by it matters immensely on what character it is.

Like my Roadbuster and Hardhead customs. I doubt RB & HH are going to care about how they look and more than likely always on the battle field.

I think I may try or would like to see some customizers use the "Movie Magic Paint job" like method.

The alt mode looks nice and shiny but the bot mode has the scrapes and dirt. Obviously not the parts that make the alt mode but maybe around some of the joints, chest, and limbs that sometimes don't make up any major parts in Alt mode.

19. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I like the clean look but I'm not a customizer.

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'm glad to hear from someone who doesn't make customs, honestly. Mainly, the goal of my discussion thread here is to hear from those of you who have customs in your collection as to what look you prefer on your shelf. :)