Heavy/Scratch: Classics Clones Fastlane & Cloudraker, NEED PAINT ADVICE!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by big hank, Feb 1, 2009.

1. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Hey gang! here are my Classics Clones Fastlane and Cloudraker, in all their half painted glory! LOL:lol 

I'll give you a quick rundown on the mods later, but first I need some advice on the paint schemes for these bad mammer-jammers.:confused: 

G1 Cloudraker was predominantly red, with light gray arms and black wings.
    G1 Fastlane was predominantly red, with light gray arms and a black spoiler.

I like the black for the spoiler, wings, rudders and stabilizers, but it makes the feet black in bot modes. G1 had red feet for both. I can live with black feet, I think it looks good.

I want to replace the light gray with white, I think it will make a nice combo, red and white mainly.

But my issue is I want the car and planes fuselage mainly red with white sides. This gives white panels on the lower legs and upper shoulders, kinda weird to me. I do think I am gonna strip most of this paint off and start over, but I can't for the life of me come up with a red body w/ thick white sides that looks remotely cool to me. I am seriously brickwalled here folks!:banghead:  So ANY advice or ideas on a color scheme would be appreciated, Puh-Leese!

Now, for the mods performed, for those who might be interested in that sort of thing.:p 

My main concern when doing the jet mods was twofold.
    1. Make a convincing jet from Mirage! Duh!:dunce 
    2. Have Cloudraker's 'bot mode be as identical to Fastlane's as possible!:thumbs2: 

Obviously, uh, Cloudraker is a jet. :dunce  This is the now old news Mirage to jet mod!

Made a collapsible back pack for the wings, added a rear central intake for "vertical take off" ability. It folds up onto his back and the central intake panel tabs into the nose section on the back!

The guns are from the "hand" of E. Bruticus Maximus, courtesy of the E. Duststorm chopper. They are held on the wings with magnets, made pegs for the fists.

There is retractable landing gear! I was real glad I could incorporate that into the mod!

The rear stabilizers swing around and hide behind the lower legs in bot mod, then the thrusters swing up onto the sides of the legs to mirror the wheels on Fastlane! Tough to engineer, but well worth the effort.

This last one might not be so easy to spot, but both Clones have had their heads repositioned to be off their chests. Gives them a more alert, less slouchy look than Mirage IMO!

So, enjoy the pics, and please give me some ideas for a color scheme, graphics, whatever! I just don't seem to come up with anything that I'm happy about at the moment!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Awsome job on these two BH!
    glad 2 see them nice n painted!
    Soo you have any ideas on Wingspan n Pounce?

3. big hank

News Credits:
    Well, half painted anyway! I think I'll be stripping the paint off and redoing them. I don't know what I want for a paint scheme, but I know what I don't want, if that makes sense!

As for Pounce and Wingspan, yes! I have a pretty neat idea I'm gonna run with, and if all works out okay, they will even be triplechangers!

4. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Triplecahnges?!
    Wow that will be a crazy idea!(Crazy=goooddd lol)
    but as for the colors, heres the TFWiki site n there links so you cane take a look n decide:
    Fastlane
    Cloudraker

5. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

what about red with white panel lines or white with red panel lines?

6. big hank

News Credits:
    Ah! Never thought of white panel lines, that may help liven it up! Thanks!:thumbs2: 

7. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

looking very promising BH, the panel lining might lift it nicely. Is there nothing Mirage can't do?

8. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Looking good BH :thumb 

Cant wait to see them finished :) 

9. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

First off nice job on the Clones. I think they look good as is, but if they don't feel right to you then do what needs to be done. I wish I had an idea, but I'm stumped. So good luck.

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I like your progress on these so far.

11. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    BH, I've been racking my brain to try & think of something to say about these.
    I can't, I love everything you have done so far.
    Maybe adding some black & white details & the white panel lining will give you the look you want.
    Greatly looking forward too seeing how these guys turn out.

12. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

these are looking absolutely fantastic