Minor/Repaint: Classics Cliffjumper

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by mugen_prime, Jun 4, 2010.

1. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I have a question, that hopefully someone who's done this before can help me with. I've been trying for months to find a red spray can that will match the plastic color on this guy. I still need to paint the roof/hood solid red. Any help and suggestions on what paint to use would be greatly appreciated.

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I'm not sure if I can help with the spray colour suggestion, but if it makes you feel any better, it's pretty rare for Hasbro to get a proper paint-to-plastic colour match on their products too. :) 

zmog

3. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I agree with Smog.

I don't know if you're going to be able to match that red either with spray paint.. Best I can tell you is to take it to a hobby store and see if you can match the reds, as the color they show is pretty darn close.

But again, with spray paint you're going to be pretty limited I think.

4. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    forgive me if this sounds off

but do they have Lowes in canada?? (i have never been there) if they do go check out the spary paints there. it is the only place i could find the constructicon green i wanted and it was made by Valspar. but they have a lot of reds. so i would say try and think outside the box and go to home improvement stores and check out their paint selections and see if you can find a match

5. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

The mod look absolutely fantastic. I bookmarked the tut so I can more easily find it later. I'm gonna try this if I can get my hands on a complete Bumblebee.

6. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Yeah, I'll be posting my Cliff WIP here in a bit. I couldn't get my roof to match exactly the rest of the car myself, despite painting the entire thing over.

7. mugen_prime

Thanks for the suggestions and comments guys! Smog does make a good point. Though Takara tends to do slightly better in color matching and most of my collection is Henkei.

I've built models cars for years, so the first place I checked was my local hobby shop. But no luck. I actually sprayed a light coat of automotive paint I had. It's not too bad, but I was hoping I could find something that matched a little better. If I can't find something better I might just go with the color I already have on there.

We don't have Lowes, but we have Home Depot and a place called Rona. I haven't checked those out, so thanks for the suggestion!! Never even thought of checking those places, so I'll have to check them out. Thanks!!

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'd think spraying that car shell in red would be fine, and seems like the easier solution to a problem of color matching.

I have to say that this thread is pretty inspiring, though :thumb 

9. mugen_prime

I FINALLY decided it was time to work on finishing this little project up. I also decided to go in a slightly different direction. Since I was having a hard time finding a paint that matched the plastic color, I thought I'd do something else.... think United....

[​IMG]

I'm also hoping that Venksta does his Cliffjumper upgrade, cos I would like to get that and paint his head to match.

10. mugen_prime

Another little peek. It's actually a darker deeper red than what it appears in this pic. With my lighting it was hard to capture the true color as well as the candy effect.

[​IMG]

11. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

it'll match now!

12. mugen_prime

That's for sure..... as long as I don't screw this candy paint up. It's proving a little more difficult than most paints I've used. Here's a couple more shots....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I really like that you decided to come back to this. It's looking really nice! :thumb 

14. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Looking real nice. This is going to look great once it's put back together.

15. Alloy Alchemist

candies and pearls are the hardest to paint..well i guess you got to put white in there to when we are talking about toys!

16. mugen_prime

Thanks for the compliments! Yeah, candies and pearls are harder to work with. I think candies are harder than pearls though. I've had a fair amount of experience with solids, metalics, and pearls in the past, but not a whole lot of experience with candies. The paint's still a little soft, but was hard enough when I got home from work to remove some masking. I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out so far!! Keep in mind the clear smoke headlight lenses still have to go back on and I might be painting a clear smoke over the silver stripe on the bottom. Depends on how it looks when it's all back together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still have to let the main body cure a little and then wet sand a couple runs out. Then give it another coat of the candy red. But hopefully after that it'll pretty much be ready to be put back together with a few touch ups, slap and Autobot sticker on his chest and call him done..... until Venksta does a CJ upgrade anyway...

17. Alloy Alchemist

looking awesome!!

18. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looks delicious.

19. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    how did you remove the head lights?

20. mugen_prime

Delicious like candy!! Thanks guys!

@ reluttr, I just pushed on the little nub from the inside (the back side of the peg on the headlight that holds it in) after removing the inside/bottom piece of the foot.