Classics Cliffjumper

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Gears, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Well not much to say, other than it's Bumblebee repainted. The colors actually look decent in person, and I like the silver plastic used in the arms and fists to compliment his car detailing. He does give off a Cliffjumper vibe, but a remolded head with a mean growl expression would have worked wonders for this guy. Also the lack of paint on the front grill of the car looks kind of cheap next to Bumblebee.

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    He looks different on the packaging pics; black forearms and black where the gray is on Wave Crusher. I think the red arms look nicer though, in fact I think his bot mode is sharper than Bumblebee. The blue headlights look better in your picture than they do on the packaging pics. Is he a mess in vehicle mode?

3. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Vehicle mode is alright as long as you don't mind all the silver paint that looks like it was splashed onto the roof and hood. Also the aforementioned lack of paint on the front grill (Which Bumblebee has) is pretty noticeable and cheap looking.

4. SpeedBreaker

SpeedBreaker DESTRON NEW LEADER

How are the eyes? Is there light piping or are they painted?

5. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

It can't have been that hard for Hasbro to change the head could it, even slightly? The Direct To Consumer GI JOE figures of last year earned that honour while still using existing body parts and worked pretty well as a result.

Sucker that I am I'll still be picking him up, but c'mon!!!!

6. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The eyes are painted baby blue, same shade like his headlights.

7. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I swapped eyes between Bumblebee (BB) and Cliffjumper (CJ). CJ looks better with BB's non-piped black eyes and BB needed CJ's blue eyes. I might get a spare BB to swap out certain parts with CJ and touchup a few spots. CJ seems, although cool, a bit cheap to me in regards to paint applications.

8. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I really dislike what they've done to Cliffjumper's headlights. The clear lights in Bumblebee were one of my favorite parts of the mold. Mostly because it allows me the option of lighting him up down the road when I get the time. Has anyone taken him apart enough to know if the eyes and headlights are still clear molded plastic, or are they solid? If they're solid when it comes time for my mods there's going to have to be some swapping going on.

I'm also not a huge fan of the way the flames sit on his chest in bot mode. The top of the car just looks a little off too. Maybe they need to be sharper looking or something. Too many years of tribal flames on cars for the rounded flames to look right to me.

Other than that, you've basically got Bumblebee with somewhat tighter joints and different colors. Since I loved Bumblebee, I pretty much love Cliffjumper. Though I would have liked to see the smile turned into a grimace. But, it's a nice mold, and the base colors work well on it. My personal choice may have been to go with black for the arms and leg parts, but it doesn't look wrong exactly with silver/grey either.

Overall, a worthy purchase if you liked Bumblebee. If you didn't, don't bother. It's the same guy in different colors and paint patterns.

9. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Y'know, those don't really look like flames much at all? I might find it more entertaining to think of them as places where CJ has scraped off his red paint from getting into fights. Like he's that short dude at the bar that no-one wants to mess with because you know he'll do something mental like break a few bottles, dunk his hands in glue and broken glass and start pummeling you with glass-hands.

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    A thread in the kitbashing forum revealed that they are still clear, they're just painted over. A little bit of alcohol will fix that right up

11. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    There's not many problems that a little bit of alcohol won't clear up, if you ask me.

12. Night Flame

And if you run into one of those problems, apply more alcohol.

13. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Or if it is too big of a problem, just drink some alcohol...

KIDDING!!

I like CJ, but I think he'd be better with clear headlights, painted grille(s), NO silver paint applications, and a painted goatee.

14. Night Flame

Subtlety is lost on some folks. Ah well. Off to get some alcohol.

15. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    my cliffjumper is horribly painted. front of wave crusher is scuffed, and numerous areas around the figure (face is most prominent) are scratched up

:-(

16. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Now I know to avoid bars that have complimentary glue dunkers...

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    In person I definitely get more of a Cliffjumper vibe from it than I thought I would. I still wish the head would have been completely remolded, but I'm nore than happy to buy a Deluxe repaint of an awesome mold to support the Classics line:) 

The silver is definitely different, but I like the way it separates CJ from BB.

Not much more to say about it than I could say about Bumblebee...Though I'm going to maybe glue some old G1 missiles underneath the wave crasher and position the 'wings' forward. Originally I thought it might look cool as more of a melee weapon since he's a brawler and all, but then i thought some actual weapons would look better I took this pic to show what I mean...

[​IMG]

Anyway, I'm glad I got Cliffjumper, even if he does help the Autobots outnumber the Decepticons even more...

Definite easy A+++++++++++++=

18. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not a fan of that silver paint all over the car parts, but it looks ok overall. I agree with all that would've preferred a new head though. It's just not right to make Bee and Jumper complete clones.

19. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Juat got mine. The red really does reinforce just how much the mold's head already looks like Cliffjumper. Mine had one shoulder missasmbled, and now that that's fixed, I can't get the door to stay pegged in to car mode. I cut a shim from some scrap styrene, and glued that inside the clip on the back of the foot. That should increase the friction enough to hold it together. Just waiting on the glue to dry.

The silver paint still gives me a rally car, and I've already got some 1/32 scale numberboard and number decals. I'm going to put number boards, and an insignia on him tonight. Not sure what number I want to give him, after the numberboards are dried and sealed. I'm think of making him #84.

20. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    When I get my CJ the silver is coming off.... though I may fix the head a lil bit to make it a lil more like CJ