Minor/Repaint: Classics Cliffjumper repaint (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SonRay, Nov 14, 2007.

1. SonRay

SonRay Banned

This was a commission from someone over at Seibertron.com

He wanted me to take the standard Classics Cliffjumper and get rid of the icky silver tear graphics and re-paint him as well as touch up the robot mode parts with some dry brushing.

So i sanded off the old silver graphics with wet 1600 strength sand paper (as we dont have rubbing alcohol in the UK, and this technique is best for a smooth finish IMO) and smoothed off the rest of the body ready for paint.

I airbrushed the paint on and used a car grade paint called "two-pack" which is very strong and leaves a beautiful finish, this guy feels as smooth as he looks!

As a little free extra for the commissioner i chrome painted the face and wheels. I also chrome painted his eyes and then went over them with some clear blue so the eyes have a similar look to them as the Masterpiece Optimus Prime!

Then i used some silver enamel and drybrushed the silver on as requested and finally i added a few little extra paint apps to the side doors and front grill.

The weapon was supplied by the commissioner so it isn't my creation but i drybrushed the silver onto that as well and now classics CJ looks more bad-ass and G1 accurate now!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Amazing job! Love the wheels!

3. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    A lot of the robot mode detail is lost in the glossy red paint. you should try painting the robot parts underneath the car body like you did the limbs.

4. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Nice!! Its like you got some tips from Jin for painting, which there is nothing wrong with that.

5. SonRay

SonRay Banned

I dont quite understand what you mean. Do you mean the bits like the sides of his feet or the insides of his "backpack" area, and the section that holds his head on?

If so i was going to drybrush them like i did on the limbs but i felt like making them red helped give the figure more....whats the word...uniformity? In other words i didnt want things to look too busy with too much drybrushing ya know? People go over board with drybrushing i think so i like to use it only when necessary.

Thanks.

6. SonRay

SonRay Banned

I took advice from his tutorial when it came to the dry brushing (I'll gladly admit to that) but thats all. The rest is all me. ;) 

Contrary to what some might think, there are actually some other talented repainters in the world besides Jin. :p 

7. Ezilla82

I wasn't flaming you, its more of constructive criticism, anyways I know that there some talented repainters here. But still its a impressive repaint to say the least.

8. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Oh no no no no, i knew you wasnt flaming! Please dont think that, im sorry if i sounded defensive...i swear i didnt mean to, maybe i didnt use enough smilies? lol

Thanks much!

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm not a fan of how the dry brushing looks on the simplistic style of Classic's 'Jumper. The red is real nice, but the dry brushing just looks too out of place. Though I know it wasn't your choice.

Also, you have him transformed wrong.

10. defstar

defstar Autobot...

The red paint app looks really nice...the chroming is a little much for me but everything else is great...

11. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    I personally would've enjoyed seeing that face chrome on the rest of the body, rather than the drybrushing. It's not so much that the brushing itself is bad, just that, on a figure this scale, it looks more grimy than worn - though that may just be the photos.

12. kiririth

kiririth Well-Known Member

interesting silver paint job...but the red is a bit too shiny for my taste

13. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

The dry brushing is a bit much, I've done drybrushing on this mold before (Classics Tap-Out). After a few attempts I learned that less is definatly more for this size mold.

That aside that color red is sweet.

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice work braddah.

15. SonRay

SonRay Banned

He is? How so?

16. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    no rubbing alcohol in the UK?

geesh, how long until all you guys have left are plastic safety scissors, and sporks.

i kid i kid

i cant tell if i like the fact hes that shiny or not, you did a smooth paint job on him so it does look like he was just waxed heh

17. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I think it looks great! Nice work! :thumb 

18. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Heh yeah i know. I cant understand why we don't have it here, its retarded.

When you work on cars getting the shiniest paint job possible is really important so i think that has rubbed off on me with painting TF's heh. Personally, i like shiny TF's....hmmmmm....shiiiiny *drool*

19. Ezilla82

Your welcome.

20. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

The red looks slick. The front grill however could use a little touching up. But it's a pain, I know. I had to do a grill on my Dodge Ram and it was terrible. I ended up using a toothpick.