Minor/Repaint: Classics Cliffjumper parts/head swap

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Wyvern, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Ok, so I had a Classics Cliffjumper who's head always bothered me. I would have loved to own the FP upgrade head but $400 is a ridiculous price for it. I love the jetski custom but I'm scared to do it... next option for me was the WFC Cliffjumper head swap. Sounded easy so I did it. I painted the head to mach the color of Cliffcumper a bit better. I also got rid of the silver paint and did a whole lot of part swaping with Classics Bumblebee. Here are some pics...hope they come out ok.... I've never uploaded pics here before.

Attached Files:

2. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I like it. Looks really good on him. Well done.

3. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    BEEBEE & CLIFFY get so much better with this wow....

to bad I'm skipping the whole Classics/Generations line :( 

MMMmmmm wel I have no choice but to stick with the current lines to complete :p 

4. _Flashback_

_Flashback_ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow those look fantastic. The black on CJ works really well.

5. azdragon58

azdragon58 Well-Known Member

I agree, also looks good with the silver removed...

6. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

Looks fantastic! How'd you switch the hands? I'm planning this exact mod. Pin removal I guess huh?

7. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Yeah, pin removal. I hate removing pins but these were pretty easy. The whole part swapping procedure was pretty easy.

8. kdog

kdog Well-Known Member

yep thats a win!:rock 

9. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

Cool. That's what I thought. Never removed pins before so looks like this swap will be my maiden voyage. Any tips?

10. ACofCA

ACofCA Autobot

Ebay:
    yeah, and how do you remove the silver, especially the paint on the roof?

11. Trikeboy

Trikeboy Well-Known Member

You sir have just given me a reason to get a second WFC Cliffjumper and the Classics reissue Bumblebee. I had planned to test that out to see if the head swap works but you have shown me it does. I too agree that the upgrade kit costs a ridiculous amount of cash. I have seen a KO version on ebay now and again and have been tempted to buy it despite the fact I don't have classics CJ. Time to get the red paints ready, hehe

12. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Just find a small nail or punch, place it on the pin and tap it with a small hammer. If it doesn't budge try the other side. I have a wooden block with a groove in it that I use. I place the part on the block with the pin hole on the groove. That way when you hammer it it actually has room to come out. Make sense???

The silver I removed with rubbing alcohol. Just dipped the parts in alcohol for 30 minutes and the silver just slips off. Don't do that to the roof though. The alcohol will destroy that plastic. What I did was just paint over the silver on the chest. I painted the whole chest/roof.

13. Pyro

Pyro @NurseMidnight

News Credits:
    That looks great. It's what classics cliffjumper should look like.

What's the shade or type of paint that you used to match the rest of the figure? Also did you use a sealer when you were done? I'd like to try this with my Cliffjumper.

14. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

Makes perfect sense. I'll have to try and find a nail that'll work, since I don't have any punches.

And yeah, I echo Pyro, what shade did you use for the head and roof section?

15. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Nice job! Removing the silver, adding a proper CJ head, and swapping BB's black parts really makes Classics CJ look so much better.

16. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

I said this in the "Lets see some cool stuff thread" but I think it looks a little bland. I dunno, judging from the posts of others in this thread, its probably just me but I thought the silver broke up the monotone red color of Classics Cliffjumper. Just my opinion though. Otherwise looks cool.

17. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Thanks!

The paint I used was a Krylon spray paint I had laying around. Not sure what the name of the paint is. I'll check when I get home. I'm at work still.

Thanks! I had swapped everything except his hands because they were on a peg. But then decided to go all the way and just swap them. I'm glad I did. Pin removal sucks and I try to avoid it but it pays off.

Yeah I know what you mean but I'm going for a more G1 look and in the cartoon Cliff was red and black. I might swap out the car seats with Classics Bumblebee's silver ones just to get a bit more color in there.

If the factory silver paint aps were executed better I might have kept them. But as they are they kinda suck.

18. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

he looks great!, i had planned on doing the head swap and paint removal already but now when they re-release classic bumble bee I'm gonna have to swap parts too!

Again GREAT job !

19. adconx2

adconx2 Cybertron D-Block

Ebay:
    Great work! Planning to do the same, just need a Classic Cliffjumper! Knew I should've got him years ago!!!!

20. Bionic Commando

Bionic Commando Head Master Spy

Consider this 100% copied and you just gave me a great project to do over the weekend.Already did the head swap but wow I love how the black parts look real good on Cliffy and the lighter parts on BB.Thanks for sharing