Customs: Classics Cliffjumper Paint Removal Question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    In pretty much every custom of Cliffjumper where they removed the silver paint, they left the one spot of silver on his roof. Can those of you that did it answer me this? Why? Did you leave it because you liked how it looked or because it is too stubborn to be removed? I don't want to remove the silver from mine unless I know I can remove it ALL.

2. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    The roof is clear plastic unlike the rest of the figure which is made of red plastic. Stripping the paint off of the roof would remove not just the silver spot but the red as well.

3. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

Beat me to it.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Also the alcohol method tends to DESTROY the clear plastic, so even if you wanted to remove all the paint from the roof, and then repaint it all red with a matching colour, you'd have to do the removal very carefully.

Or you could just find a matching red, and paint it right over. :) 

zmog

5. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I've been told by sdtessman of the TFCC (he runs the customizing classes at BotCon) that Tea Tree Oil is good for removing tampo without harming the paint underneath. In fact, here is his post from the TFCC message board:

When asked where one would find the stuff he said:

6. AutobotSDG

What kind of alcohol did you use and how long did you let it sit in it? I have never had any clear plastic TF pieces get destroyed by soaking it in alcohol. In fact I soaked an RID Super Sideburn (which, may or may not be known to some, the entire car body is painted clear plastic) in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for 24 hours and it came out clean and clear as can be. Same goes for any small clear pieces I've soaked. Did you know if you soak Alt. Prowl's Lightbar, it becomes clear? Of course that includes stripping the silver paint on it too, but it came out perfectly clear, with no damage.

Sorry I had to ask because I always get confused how others are getting the destroyed clear plastic from using the alcohol when I and a few others I've heard from have never had the problem.

7. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    But isn't the whole back end of that mold clear plastic? I could've sworn the back part of Bumblebee was clear plastic with yellow paint, then the white paint over top of it. No one has had any problems removing the white from Bumblebee...

8. Valandar

Valandar Dilettante and Dabbler

On Cliffjumper, the rear end is opaque.

9. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Bumblebee's back end is yellow plastic. His rear windows are a separate piece of plastic set inside it.

10. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Removal of the paint on the roof is going to cause an issue if you try it. Look at the underside of the roof and you'll see that there is no red underneath silver. So no matter what you're going to have to find red paint to match it. I was just thinking about doing the same thing as I picked up a spare and happened to notice it. So, it looks like I'll just be painting a black stripe over it.

11. SMOG

No prob. I used 91% Isopropyl Alcohol I think... and I only soaked it for about 15 minutes. This was the back end of Classics Bumblebee, so a similar piece. The internal clear plastic insert was fine, but the clear hinges on his roof that connect it to the back end crumbled.

And I mean just crumbled. The slightest pressure on them, and they just cracked in several places and fell apart. I wasn't sure what to make of it, but since then I've come across several accounts on this very forum of similar things happening. The clear plastic just seems to get very very brittle after soaking in alcohol.

I was just looking at my RID Sideburn yesterday as fate would have it, and noticed for the first time that his car shell is totally painted clear plastic. I don't know if there are different grades of clear plastic that are more resilient... that might explain why you had no problems with the RID figures.

But then, the trick is knowing what clear plastic you're dealing with. Assuming that Cliffjumper is the same as Bumblebee, I wouldn't chance it.

(though I fixed my Bumblebee by reattaching his roof to the neckplate, removing the need for those shoulder hinges altogether. It works a lot better that way actually!)

zmog

12. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I had the crumbling plastic problem with an Alt Smokescreen when I soaked him in Simple Green to get that stubborn yellow paint off. From the way everyone talked, alcohol was the way to go. After reading that story about BBs roof, I'm not sure I want to try that either. Maybe instead of soaking, one could just rub it with a q-tip or cotton ball?

13. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Have no fear, soaking is safe. So long as the plastic isn't of the clear variety. I've doen it many times and in fact, just finished an alt Bluestreak tonight.

You can, if you're feeling rather reserved, dip the cotton swab into the alcohol and rub along the paint until it comes off. It takes a long time though and it's at least 20x the work. you don't get as clean of a job as you do with soaking it though since the alcohol paint mixture has a tendancy to run into the cracks and dry.

14. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I swear by Q-Tips with paint thinner. They are definatly the way to go.
    I had a Serpant Custom's gun crumble on me using Simple Green, too. It sucked. Yep. Certainly did.

15. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Man the dam roof on Cliffjumper!!!!!!! This is the only TF that I have had a problem with the plastic just crumbling. I got another and soaked for about five minutes cause I thought I might have left the other in there to long and instead of crumbling it turned a smokey white. All this just to do a Goldbug and Glyph.

16. AutobotSDG

I've heard of Classic BB's roof cracking, breaking and crumbling from just normal transformation so I believe thats just a case of bad plastic altogether.

17. SMOG

Could be... but it definitely seems like this clear plastic stuff tends to disintegrate even more so when exposed to the alcohol. There are just too many instances of the crumbling after soaking to chalk it all up to bad plastic. :p 

zmog

18. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Must be a bad plastic thing. I've used the alcohol method on every Alt I've repainted/bashed.
    I've never had any probs with the clear plastic parts of the Alts falling apart on me

19. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Same here (I have soaked clear platic from an alternator in isopropyl for damn near a half-hour), which is why I thought it wouldn't be a problem on Cliffjumper, that is until I destroyed one by soaking it for only 5 min.

20. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Never had an issue with the 91% alcohol eating through anything, but I did remove clear plastic parts and cleaned them quickly afterwords, instaed of letting it sit with the whole batch. The only one that gave me problems was the clear plastic windows/chest on Cyb. Prime. One of the hinges on the back just crumbled.