Minor/Repaint: Classics Chromedome

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by MyTea Boc, Jul 5, 2010.

1. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    I've been keeping my fingers crossed for a few years now that we might see a classics/ generations update to the g1 headmasters! I loved those guys. And I'm tired of waiting!

Chromedome was probably my least favourite of the autobot headmasters when I was a kid. He never really seemed to have much character - hardhead was a gumpy badass, brainstorm was the brains and highbrow was the niles crane of the group.

And yet, I felt compelled to give a custom chromedome a shot!

I used a cybertron hot shot - and used the head of an actionmaster skyfall. I thought it kind of looked chromedome-ish. ideally would like to have given him a proper headmaster, but alas i lack the skill. Luckily enough with a little shaving of the joint - the head can rotate.

The rifle is one of Darkov's great reproduction parts! I know the original came with 2 rifles, but chromedome is supposed to be a quiet thinker, and i don't think guns akimbo are his style. Plus, theres only one peg for a gun on the roof :p .

I used citadel colours for the bulk of the paintwork - vomit brown (again - what a charming name) and Scorched earth brown. Then a little bit of vallejo red and silvergrey for the details.

I used the silvergrey for his head, and a little floresent orange for his face mask. And some Andrea Blue for the windows and headlights.

Still a few wee touch-ups needed. But i think he turned out okay!

Let me know what you think! :) 

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    That's pretty cool.

3. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    Brilliant I really like this one and you made the colors POP!

4. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It looks like Chromedome to me and he looks sweet. But man the colors you mentioned are just plain weird...vomit brown...geez what next diarrhea green. LOL

5. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nice work, but don't think the blue works for the windows. Maybe black would be better?

6. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Nice update of this figure. I've seen E. Downshift and Cl Rodimus used but never Cyb Hot Shot but it works. I like the head choice and the use of G1 weapon

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I don't think black would've worked with the dark brown he used. Personally, I like the light blue.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

That's a really good choice of molds for this, I really like it.

I think you could have used some lighter tones of brown or tan though, something a little more car-like I suppose. But that's all, really. Otherwise, as a repaint it works really well. The details given for Hot Shot/Excellion even work well for Chromedome's details.

Only thing that would make this better really is an actual Headmaster.

9. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    I like it. :) 

I've actually disassembled my Hot Shot to make a Tracks, but then Botcon happened... I might do this later on!

10. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Looks great,
    that head is perfect for Chromedome, and I like the dark brown you've chosen!
    However, for me the baby blue really clashes with the rest, and maybe his alt mode
    could use some more red (and yellow headlights ffs!) :thumbs2: 

11. MyTea Boc

Ebay:
    Thanks guys :) . I know what you mean about the colour names. Pretty weird. Didn't help matters that the vomit brown actually did smell a tad like vomit when I first opened the paint pot. So in that case I might steer clear of diarrhea green or puss purple

I had thought about doing the windows black or white, but I have to agree with satomiblood - I kinda like the blue. Maybe a lighter blue would have been a bit more agreeable.

I actually remember seeing a classics rodimus with a classics grimlock head as chromedome - I can't remember who did it, but I did consider trying to emulate it. But I didn't have the cash to splash out on a rod and grimmy.

Thanks man :) . would love to have made this guy a head master. Alas, my skills are still not up to scratch. Maybe a repainted kreb from horribull would suit? THe junior headmasters are a better scale for a fig this size, plus they tended to have better face detail.

You should give it a shot man! I'm sure your efforts would put mine to shame.

Thanks! What do you think, a little bit of red on the hood and side panels?

Thanks everyone for your kind words and suggestions :) 

12. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Good man. Nice on puss purple thing that was good. LOL

13. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Funny..... I am working on a Generations Chromedome right now and am using the same head =)

I am using a Universe Sunstreaker for the base. Just got all of the pieces stripped of their old paint and will start painting thursday..... Looks good! =)

- Gregg

14. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    I saw an amazing one done with Classics Rodimus... but I can't find the photo for the life of me...

15. MyTea Boc

Ebay:
    Great minds think alike ;) . You know, I never considered using a Sunstreaker for the body - it'll be a good fit. Good luck, and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

I saw that one myself a while ago. It was really impressive

16. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

I like your choice of colours, he makes an excellent Classics Chromedome.

17. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's quite cool! It works nicely imo.

It also gave me an idea. That mold was of course used for "movie" Breakaway (G1 Getaway homage) and I always felt it was a wonderful Classics Getaway aside from the head still having that Hot Shot vibe. The Skyfall head kinda works for Getaway as well! The crest is a little more elaborate but it's not a bad match.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lawl, so thank you for doing this. I might actually try to physically customize a toy now :p 

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  18. MyTea Boc

Ebay:
    Thanks man :) 

Thats a pretty sweet digibash Ktulu! Think your right, skyfalls head works as getaway too. You could try filing and sanding the crest down a bit. But give it a shot man. An action master soundwave head might also do the trick.

If you feeling especially daring, you could replace the engine block on the car mode, and using a magnet or two you could attach a powermaster :) .

Thanks again everyone!

19. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just started the painting for my Chromedome this morning...... I am REALLY digging how this is coming out so far..... I'll post my pictures up in the next few days. =)

- Gregg

20. MyTea Boc

Ebay:
    Glad to hear its going well! Can't wait to see a sunstreaker based chromedome.

Hope to get the time to add a few more finishing touches to this guy this weekend. Then I'll try and finish up on of my other projects, that also happens to involve the use of an actionmaster head ;)