Minor/Repaint: Classics Cartoon/Toy Starscream hybrid

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by trilobitepictures, Apr 6, 2010.

1. trilobitepictures

trilobitepictures Well-Known Member

I did a custom Starscream years ago when my Classics collection was small and I (at the time) intended it to stay that way. A metallic red "vest" and a sort of dirt pattern like what is found on the Classics Grimlock. Well, the collection has grown, a lot, and the dirty repaint really stands out amongst the more simply painted toys. None of the commercially released Starscreams really do it for me, so I came up with this, which mixes the cartoon look with some G1 toy details...

Started off as a Classics version, each of the grey pieces received a bath in a very watered-down silver and dark grey mix which adds a subtle silver layer while darkening the plastic and slightly darkens the panel lines, but not more than you'd see on a real toy. Tamiya Italian Red for the "vest" and straight Blue for the tailfins to match the factory blue paint apps and blue plastic. No brush painting, as I was aiming to recreate a factory look- masking and spraying.

Stripes and symbols from Reprolabels, however their red is a touch too pink, so I carefully (CAREFULLY!) spray painted the stickers to match the red of the vest.

The end result no longer (glaringly) stands out as a custom and fits in better with the rest of the off-the-shelf figures.

Attached Files:

2. Slag66

Slag66 CAMEO

Great work!:thumbs2: 

3. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    Very nicely executed. I would have loved to find a figure like this instead of the ones hasbro gave us.

4. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Sweet! :thumb 

5. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Oh! Very nice. Looks great and I like the red.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is a really slick custom. Great work :thumb