Classics By Association

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Incepticon, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Okay, I think it's a pretty safe bet that we're not going to get an entire reborn G1 character line in Classics form, so I thought about what they have released already, are about to release, and tried making some sense of what characters could plausibly follow next if we're lucky... and if Hasbro decides to follow any sort of rational formula.

Try to follow me here:

Optimus Prime + Bumblebee + Mirage + Cliffjumper
    Since we got these characters, I personally think it makes valid sense for Hasbro to also consider doing the bulk of the more popular Season 1 characters such as Jazz, Prowl, Brawn, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Ironhide, Hound, Wheeljack, Bluestreak, Trailbreaker & Ratchet. I mean really, if you're going to re-tweek Mirage, you can't overlook those other guys, especially not Ironhide or Jazz. I left out Huffer, Gears & Windcharger since I don't really think too many people would mind not having them in place of these other guys. I know I wouldn't.

Jetfire
    In my opinion, you can't have Jetfire without his arch nemesis: Shockwave. Plus the fact that Shockwave is Megatron's *other* right-hand man, even if he happens to be stuck on Cybertron.

Grimlock
    One Dinobot down, four to go: Slag, Snarl, Sludge & Swoop. It's about the TEAM, not just the team's leader, and I would hate to see them start & stop with just Grimlock.

Rodimus + Ultra Magnus
    Two movie era characters, so to me it makes sense to see Kup, Blurr, Springer, Cyclonus, Scourge and maybe even Galvatron to help round out that particular group. I left out Wreck-Garr because he was such a hit or miss character anyway when it came to popularity, Wheelie because he's probably the most loathed character in TF history, and Arcee because... well... I just personally happen to hate her as a character and try to forget she was ever in the series :) 

Megatron
    To me you can't have Megatron & Starscream without Soundwave. I realize we just got a commemorative edition of him and that a Classics version might not be too different, but whatever, it's Soundwave and he deserves a Classics treatment. Add to that Reflector who was a main character throughout Season 1 but never got proper toy treatment. He's due for an upgrade.

Astrotrain
    Pretty straight forward. You can't have this triple-changer without his equally important & popular peer Blitzwing... who imho is the better of the two.

Starscream + Skywarp
    No brainer here - if you have these two, you NEED Thundercracker to round them out. Simple as that.

Ramjet
    Same thing, you can't have Ramjet without *his* Seeker buddies Thrust & Dirge.

I hope that actually makes sense to some of you and doesn't seem like a fanboy asking for the impossible. I think all these suggestions could act as a very complete Classics line that keep the bulk of collectors & G1 purists happy. The Season 1 Autobots outside of BB, CJ & Mirage are difficult to pin down since there are so many of them, but all are equally as important as the rest in my opinion and shouldn't get passed over for other more obscure characters.

I dunno... just spitballing here. Try not to let it turn into a negative debate.

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Obviously a lot of it depends on when (and if) Hasbro decides to resume the Classics line. I know I and many others hope they do. G1, especially the first year or two of G1 had several remolded/repainted characters, which translates well into the current climate of repainting to offset moldmaking costs. On my "short list" of toys I'd want to see soonest:

Soundwave: preferably with more than one minion included. A reissue and the Titanium didn't really scratch the itch adequately. Since Classics are modernized versions of the original forms, I'm not sure what's the most toyetic way to handle the character.

Jazz: Hey, It's Jazz!

Ironhide and Ratchet: The only toys that came anywhere near the old cartoon forms of these characters were Botcon exclusives.

All remaining Seeker jets: Seems obvious, easy to handle with repaints and/or minimal remolding, and nearly necessary. I don't need Sunstorm though.

Blitzwing: I always thought he was kewler than Astrotrain.

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Arcee there's a big case for just because she never got a real toy, and the Energon figure barely counts, it's a motorcycle with Arcee's head, I want her vehicle mode that looks like Barbie's Corvette after a visit to Monster Garage.

I'm amazed that Sideswipe and Sunstreaker are left off this list, they seem as prominent to me as Trailbreaker or Hound.

4. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Well I'm pretty sure the Classics line is doing really well. From the boards, I haven't seen many negative comments only complaints about not being able to find Jetfire lol Otherwise in stores, I have to say they're all sold out. No Classics left except for minicons.

As for what I'd like to see are more Decepticons, hopefully not all recolours of the seekers. Shockwave would be really nice, we did get Megatron as a gun already. I'd love to see Blitzwing and the Insecticons though.

5. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

Megatron in more correct colors would be nice for those not wanting to work on the repaint.

Can't have Soundwave without Blaster. The minions are then needed for both. CD players aren't completly out of date yet so that would get my vote if tape players won't work.

Would they do a Swoop since there is already minicon toy in the classics line with his name?

The current Rodimus needs to be renamed Hot Rod and then add in Rodimus Prime and Galvatron to the Classic line.

Cyclonus is also on my most wanted list.

The headmasters and targetmasters would be nice: Kup, Blurr, Arcee, Brainstorm, HardHead, ChromeDome, MindWhipe, ApeFace, ....

which would leave Sharkticons, Unicorn, Quintenssions, Springer, Wreck-Gar and misc. Junkion, Wheelie, and Kranix as the only major movie characters needing a classic figure.

6. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Guys like Ratchet and Ironhide are problems because if you keep their van modes, you end up with unexciting vehicle modes. I mean, a VAN.

Hasbro follows whatever they think makes an interesting toy that appeals to kids and the big shots at Walmart. Quite a few G1 Autobots are difficult to do unless you want an entire Deluxe line full of cars, which will be harder for retailers to sell (too much similar product on pegs).

Reflector was never a main character throughout season 1 - they were used when they needed a camera gimmick and they also needed to fill out a scene with lots of generic-looking Decepticons.
    And Reflector did get a toy. Its the cartoon that simplified and generalised his design.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Rodimus is sorta done in the form of the Titanium Rodimus Prime. Galvatron and Cyclonus are must-haves though, right after Thundercracker.

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

how is shockwave jetfire's archnemisis?

9. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Do Hasbro own the rights to the name Hot Rod anymore?

10. chazparks

I don't know I thought was just a common phrase more than it was a copyrighted name. However, Roddy Pipper's head on Rodimus's body while in a kilt would look funny.

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    From what I know, they don't anymore, and that's why the've been using Rodimus instead of Hot Rod. I personally think that Hound could be a cool addition to the classics line.

12. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Mattel currently holds the trademark to 'Hot Rod'.

Hasbro would obviously name G1-type toys with the original G1 names if they could.

13. chazparks

Couldn't they do that with a small royalities charge? Even if the price would up the cost of toy slightly to offset the royality charges that would be better than a wrong name.

14. MrBigFeathas

MrBigFeathas My rocket pack?!?

Since we know Skywarp is coming...I would be happy if they released Thundercracker, Sideswipe, and Sunstreaker.

15. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I just want the rest of the seekers to even out the cons. They are way outnumbered. I wouldnt mind a few more of the season one autobot cars, like Hound or PROWL Dang it! I need a prowl!

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Three cheers for unexciting vehicle modes!!!

I mean, I like cool cars as much as the next person, but I have to admit I'm getting awfully sick of the "hot cars with flame decos OR construction equipment" formula for autobot design. One of the things I love about G1 TFs is the fact that some of them are vans or pickup trucks or compact cars or tow trucks, etc... Twin lamborghinis are sweet, but it's nice to see some TFs turn into things you occasionally see around.

(in fact, Gobots did this way better... you gotta love a line that has a transforming garbage truck... does it get any more mundane? :)  )

Sunstreaker and Sideswipe
    Ironhide and Ratchet
    Jazz and Prowl

Those are on my list for essential autobot cars. I would say Wheeljack too, but for now I'm content with the last couple of Downshift incarnations.

Brawn, and a full complement of Dinobots would be nice too. Hound is a sentimental favourite, but like Trailbreaker and the rest of the minibots, not really essential. I'm not big on the Movie characters, but since we have HotRod... well, if they're doing fan-fave figures, Arcee should be in that lot. We got a (lousy) Blurr recently, so I guess Kup is up next.

For Cons... Thundercracker obviously. Thrust and Dirge I guess are easy too, though I never liked the coneheads. It's kind of sad that Titanium Soundwave really should have filled the SW gap, but due to poor crotch planning, he ends up being an eyesore. Let this be a lesson to Hasbro designers... HALF an awesome TF isn't good enough. A minor crotch remolding, and instead of fans holding back, those Soundwaves would be flying off the shelves to complete peoples' Classics line-up.. :( 

Reflector would be cool! Maybe they could come up with ONE deluxe design that can combine with 2 others of the same design to make a camera. That way, everyone would have to buy three!

Hmmm... shouldn't be giving them ideas. On the OTHER hand... what if Reflector was a minicon set? Wouldn't that make sense? They already come in 3-packs. I would just hope that they'd be NICE minicons at least. :) 

I would say Constructicons, but it seems unlikely after the TRU exclusive set. How about all 3 Insecticons then... THAT would be classic.

zmog

17. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love how threads about Classics and Alts degenerate into random "They should release it becasue i want it and it would be cool and stuff" posts..

18. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

It would be cool to see vans for Ironhide and Ratchet in the Alternators if they ever do pick that up again.

19. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    and in many cases that's how they start out

20. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

I'd like to see, in no particular order: Ironhide(Ratchet repaint), Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Brawn, Wheeljack, Jazz, Prowl (Silverstreak repaint), Springer, Shockwave, Thundercracker, Dirge, Thrust, and Blitzwing.

I don't want anymore Dinobots, honestly. IMO, Grlimlock was the chunkiest, most clumsy Classics figure to come out yet. His transformation was akward, and posability was terrible. I'd hate to see what they'd do to the rest of the Dinobots after seeing Grlimlock like that.