Minor/Repaint: Classics Bumblebee to Cliffjumper repaint

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by bettis211, Mar 24, 2011.

1. bettis211

bettis211 Well-Known Member

This is my second custom. I did it between my Classics Starscream repaint and my Universe Acid Storm to Skywarp repaint. It was actually the first one that I (mostly) finished.

I was originally going to just repaint my Classics bumblebee to give him slightly more G1 cartoon accurate colors, like painting the grey arms yellow and I decided to give his whole body a glossy finish. I totally screwed it up in the process and I ended up buying a RTS bumblebee to replace it. After warming up to it I actually prefer the more metallic orangey yellow the RTS Bumblebee uses.

So as not to waste my old Classics Bumblebee I decided to use my War for Cybertron Cliffjumper's head and repaint my Classics Bumblebee as Cliffjumper. I knew the WFC Cliffjumper head would fit on Classics Bumblebee body so I also figured I could use my Classics Bumblebee head and put it on my WFC Cliffjumper and repaint it into a WFC Bumblebee with a slightly weird head. It turns out the Classics Bumblebee head sits WAY too far forward on the WFC body, looks horrible, and will not transform. So now I'm left with a WFC Cliffjumper body and a Classics Bumblebee head; oh well. Hopefully I'll be able to do something with some of the parts at some point.

But at least now I have the Cliffjumper I've wanted for a while and a decent Bumblebee.

FYI, the RTS Bumblebee doesn't transform nearly as well as my original Classics Bumblebee did. The door panels and rear quarter panels don't fit together as well.

Attached Files:

2. domshen

domshen Radicon

Great paint job!!

3. mip

mip Active Member

@bettis211:
    It's really nice! Your paint job is very clean and neat. I like the red orange metallic paint of your paint.
    What paint did you use and did you apply the paint with brush or air brush?

4. bettis211

Most of it was done with an airbrush. I scratched some of the paint when I tried to put the pins back in so the rear end got a couple of extra coats straight out of the spray can. It was a Testors One Coat Lacquer Revving Red spray can. For most of it I decanted the paint into a bottle and used my airbrush. The parts that were done with the airbrush didn't turn out much better than the parts that got a final coat with the spray can and the decanting process can get pretty messy. In the future I'm not going to decant paint from a spray can unless there is a really good reason. The lacquer finish is really tough so it hasn’t been chipping and it is thin so it doesn't seem to interfere with transformation but overall I prefer working with acrylic paints. I have had good luck with Model Master Acryl using an airbrush. The other problem with lacquer paint is the smell. If you can deal with the smell though lacquer paints can give you good results.

5. chansformers

chansformers butcher of the bots

News Credits:
    the paint works are better than "henkei" factory paint!!!
    i still want to find a donor wfc cliffy to do what you did here with the head too!!!!

now where's the bfg?:wink: 

6. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    WOW your paint-skills are great!!

7. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

wow. looks 10x better in red lol. cliffjumper ftw! screw bumblebee!

8. Autobot-X1

Autobot-X1 Mentaly Hilarious

Ebay:
    Looks great!!

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    These look very clean. Nice. As for the headless WFC figure, you can use the HTFD Tomahawk head. Looks cool on him.

10. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Gorgeous paint job. It looks so much better than the original Classics Cliffjumper...there's more depth to the paint. Looks more like a real car.

I would suggest painting the grille and maybe the intakes on the hood and roof scoops...and I like to hit up the rear-view mirrors with a silver Sharpie™. But that's me.

11. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    That looks great. Kinda surprised the Cliffjumper head fits, but it looks very good. I also like that he gets to keep his gun and solves the mold's lack of a weapon problem nicely.

12. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

Awesome. I was planning on picking up an extra RTS 'bee to give this a shot. Thanks for the "proof of concept."

13. struecker85

struecker85 Autobot

nice likin the red on cliffy

14. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Nice! That red was a great choice for Cliffy, it has a real "Pop!" to it. Sweet-ass job Mate! :thumb 

That's what I was thinking. This is Cliffjumper were talking about - he's supposed to have a BFG! :lol 

15. anikenvader

anikenvader Stuff & Things

News Credits:
    oohhh, nice nice! i just got rts bumblebee, and i was wondering, how or did you, take off the black stipes on the chest without removing the yellow paint?

16. sh002

sh002 Banned

whoa this looks good. hasbro could easily make this but sadly they probably won't.

17. bettis211

I tried using alcohol to get the stripes off the chest but the yellow came off in places and the blue plastic really showed through. Even in the places that the yellow didn't totally come off there was still obvious discoloration where the stripes had been removed. I ended up totally stripping the paint off the chest area and mixing a custom yellow to repaint it. It took quite a bit of effort to get it to match as well as it does. I kept adjusting the yellow and painting a swatch on part of the jetski trailer until I got it so the paint wasn't obviously different. I let it dry to make sure the paint didn't significantly change as it dried then I had to adjust it further. The end result is a pretty close match. It is important to look at it under multiple types of lights. My first attempt I did the whole process in one room. I mixed paint that I thought was a very close match and I painted the chest. When I was done it looked good in the lighting in the room that I mixed it in but with any sunlight or cool fluorescent lighting shining on it the paint looked totally off.

18. anikenvader

anikenvader Stuff & Things

News Credits:
    hmmm, ok, thank you. I will have to try this once i get more enamel paint.
    I got the rts one and I dont know why, but the stripes bug the crap out of me. I think its cause im tired of seeing movie bumblebee. :p 
    well thanks for the tips! looks great, im thinking of givin both a try!