Minor/Repaint: Classics Brawn & Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by wheeljack2010, Feb 19, 2012.

1. wheeljack2010

wheeljack2010 Constructicon

Just finished these guys up. Started Bee yesterday, pretty easy little re-paint for a more toon-ish look/feel. Brawns made from a FP Warcry with several pieces added from a DOTM Deluxe Ratchet, gundam kit for chest, and a head by Hondasaint drilled to fit. Painted with Valspar golden maize (same color as BB), Reaper muddy olive, and citadels graveyard earth-boltgun metal-and chainmail. Of course these can transform, but every time I transform my customs I run into horrible paintrub issues that are tedious and time consuming to touch-up so no alt-mode shots. I run into this problem constantly- even after applying several coats of matte finish/and or dullcote. I've heard about sanding the rub areas down and applying future finish to the custom to seal it, but not sure if this really works out either (do know several pros that do this though, so apparently it does). will have to try it next custom. Still can't find any Future Finish around here though. I display my bots in bot-mode only anyhow, so here ya go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. bumbleblogn

bumbleblogn Banned

Those are awesome man ! ... What did u use to paint them !

3. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you want some future finish we have it by the boat load up here. A bottle is about $5 and I'm happy to help you out.

Love the color on BB. I think I'll be picking that up for my reprints I have coming up. Nice clean work Jason!

4. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

That's a great CHUG Brawn! Really nice colors too.
    Sanding the surfaces that you know fit tight or scrape really does help prevent paint scrapes. These clean looking figures like what you've done here are the ones you really have to do it with too, since its easy to go back and seamlessly fix such issues later when you do figures with wear, weathering, or damage.
    I've never found the Future Finish stuff locally myself, but sanding and a couple of coats of testors clear or dull cote rarely lets me down.
    Also, several very thin coats of either brush or spray paint rather than a couple of thickies helps. You probably already do that though.

5. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

By the way these are really great repaints.

6. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    I 've been looking for future floor polish to work with email paint is that actually possible... to mix or do I have to wait until the paint fully cure or not use it at all... what alternative?
    Sorry for the oftopic BS :D 

looks great extremely cartoony, you should really consider doing the windows blue with a white reflection stripe thingy or just blue, like frogdna and such :p  you know what I'm saying?

7. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

Very nice

8. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

very nice jason! LOVE that Brawn

9. Peagis

Peagis Superion

Ebay:
    Nice work!

10. cuters

cuters Diabolist

brawn rocks good work

11. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

I'm a huge Brawn fan and I absolutely approve of this custom.

12. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

They look great. You should sand down areas where you have rub issues. I would love to see alt mode pics but I understand why you didn't take any.

13. wheeljack2010

wheeljack2010 Constructicon

Thanks! Used a combination of paints I really trust for nice finishes and quick drying times. See first post for the list!
    Thanks my man, I might have to take you up on that. I'll definitely get back with you if I absolutely can't find any here.
    Glad you dig him! Yeah, I've been going with numerous coats of thin layers on paints - topped with either several coats of Testors Dullcote, or several coats of Krylon Matte finish. Though it seems that doesn't quite work for several areas I've noticed. Particularly the ball-jointed areas, parts that "tab" in together, and parts that "slide" or scrape past one another during transformation. It's extremely frustrating to work so hard on a smooth finished custom, only to have it chip away or rub off completely in these areas!
    Thanks guys! I had thought about doing the FrogDNA style windows, and may still do them. Thanks!
    Thanks Dan! Cheers bro'!
    Thanks again! I always liked Brawn in the cartoon as well. He was the tough as nails little guy that you didn't want to underestimate. Like everybody else, I was totally shocked as a seven year old to see him taken out by one shot. Albeit it was Megatron .........at least.
    Compliments like that make it all worth doing! Thanks Wikkid, really enjoy your scratch-builds/re-shells as well. Big fan man.
    Thanks for the kudos Steve, and thanks for understanding. I'm sure we've all been there. You do a great custom and transform it once and your left trying to patch him up for days. I can remember when RTS Jazz first came out and I re-painted him for the first time. I had the perfect top coat finish applied and sealed, all the decals placed and sealed, and he was fully detailed. Transformed him from bot mode to car mode and back again and watched as his legs and door hinges chipped and slid paint away like it was butter :mad  I had actually tried the sanding technique a few times, with little success as well. Perhaps I just didn't sand enough. Will try it again soon.....