Minor/Repaint: Classics Black Zarak - easiest custom ever???

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Erector, May 24, 2008.

1. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I think this is probably the easiest custom I'll ever do in my life. Seriously. From start to finish - 1.5hrs. And most of that was paint drying time!!!

So for some reason, a local UK bargain store suddenly found a load of Dark Scorponoks in its warehouses, and sold them off cheap as hell. As soon as I saw it, I just thought "Classics Black Zarak". The deco is almost perfect as it is - all it needed was a bit of tweaking on the head, then repainting all those horrible sky blue pieces.

Three colours only changed on this: the face was painted with Citadel Colours Shining Gold, and the head was painted with Citadel Colours Blood Red. The little visor-thing was removed and the "ears" were cut off and re-glued onto Zarak's head, and painted Blood Red to match. Finally, everything else that was sky blue was painted Citadel Colours Chaos Black (oh, I tell a lie, there was a little part on his claws that was painted Blood Red).

And in all honesty - that was everything. I don't think it needed anything else, perhaps I might repaint some of the see-through red parts with Blood Red just to match his head, but I think it's pretty spiffy as it stands. And with minimal effort!!!

Oh, and no alt mode pics for two reasons. a) I hate his alt mode and b) I couldn't find his instructions, and I couldn't remember how to do it :lol 
    C&C always welcome :) 

Attached Files:

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Pretty darn cool. To be honest, I can't help thinking BZ was what they had in mind all along when they decided to do Dark Scorponok.

Little tip for the transformation: try setting the 'shoulderpads' up vertically next the body; that way the shoulders are on the sides and gives you more logical rotation. They way you've got 'em angled at the moment (which I think is how the instructions recommend) looks like they're not really attached to the torso, sorta like Powerglide...

3. Erector

News Credits:
    Cheers dude :)  I actually kind of prefer the way the shoulders look at the moment, I did fiddle about with them like that and I didn't like how it ended up. I take it you're meaning that the golden bit under the "main" shoulderpad goes flush to the body? I found that the big shoulderpad looks too close to his head if at an angle then, or if they're horizontal the arms can't move as well as they can otherwise

Unless I'm doing it wrong, which is always an option :D 

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Basically, it's the setup you put them in for jet mode. The gold piece lies horizontally, and the large shoulderpads fold up vertically next to the torso.
    I always find it puts the shoulders themselves in a sensible position relative to the torso, and it allows them to rotate backwards and forwards, as well as swinging up and out.

Have a close look at the jet mode here, and you should see the position I mean:
    http://www.tfu.info/2004/Decepticon/Scorponok/scorponok.htm

5. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i'm so doing this to mine

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Easy customs FTW!

This guy looks good man! I'm not a really huge fan of the mold anyways, but I like your idea of integrating him into Classics as well as all of the slight mods you made. :thumb 

7. Erector

News Credits:
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh gotcha :)  Might give that a shot. Cheers for the heads up :)