Heavy/Scratch: Classics Apeface WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by dsn1014, Jan 31, 2009.

1. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Please find my original WIP here

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/211394-transmetal-optimus-primal-apeface-wip-2.html (it got messed up during the change over)

The holidays are long over now, so I have the time to give this my attention.

I got myself some styrene finally and I've begun work on the robot torso, I like how its coming along so far. It had to be rebuilt three times, but |I think I'm going in the right direction now. This is my first attempt at using this material and its fun seeing it come together.

On both sides of the chest there are open panels, one will be covered with some wire mesh for an industrial dirty robot effect and the other gap will be filled with something I'm enjoying the idea of, I'll have it done in a couple of days.

There will be a jet mode, I have it mostly figured out, I just need to start fabricating it, which shouldn't be too hard now that I think I have an idea what I'm doing.

There are several other mods on the list as well;
    -fabricating the wings/backpack
    -attaching articulated fists
    -armour for his shins that becomes paneling in vehicle mode
    -Spasma
    -a BFG
    -maybe some lights

I hoipe you like it and c+c is welcome if anyone has anything to suggest,

thanks for looking :) 

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2009
  2. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Exellent job soo far!
    its really giving off a Apeface G1 feeling on how the chest looks!
    i cant wait too see what else yu have instore for him.
    thanks for your concern n ill try 2 get back to bashing asap, i just need some time
    well hopefully if this turns out as wasome as your art of apeface you might bash me 1 too :D  lol

3. dsn1014

thanks man, its all pretty simple really, so far anyway, I'm glad I had so long to think about it before I started this, but there are so many gaps I need to find myself some kind of filler to smooth it out at the edges.

Get back to bashing as soon as you're up to it as I want to see your headmasters come to life along with your Ani Megs and Overlord. But take your time all the same.

4. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Never thought of TM Optimus Primal as Apeface. Nice pull!

5. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

I think I remember reading about this back when it was still just an idea of yours, nice to see it finally taking shape! Can't wait to see the final product. :) 

6. dsn1014

thanks, I got the idea from DJcharters Primal repaint, not the same toy, but it gave me the idea
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/209618-universe-classics-apeface-update-9-10-a.html

Neither can I, but I'm learning how to do all this as I work, so alot of trial and error, which is my excuse for taking so long. Other radicons have made much bigger customs, with alot more bells and whistles, with some luck I'll get some good learning done for future projects.

7. dsn1014

update

using the clear plastic from a dvd spindle and some ko zords feet I have filled the shoulder slots in the torso, I think it makes it look a bit deeper and adds some detail for me. When gets tidied and painted I hope it should look well enough. Though it does show how rough my styrene cutting is.

Attached Files:

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Going to be great!

9. Skitch

Skitch Member

Chest looks like its going well can't wait to see it painted.

10. dsn1014

Cheers, but it's looking as though it will take me sometime to get it done still, I need to sit down to it again. I was lucky enough to get a G1 Spasma and a working headmaster connection piece, so my mind is boggled with how to add them. Like yourself I suffered with my camera phone too.

11. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Forgive me for reviving as I know this is an old thread, but I was just wondering how Apeface is coming along...? :thumbs2: 

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i've been wondering the same

13. dsn1014

Well life and times have been a bit mental for the last few months, so sadly nothing more has really been done. I'm glad to say that life is settling again and I should have an oppurtunity to blow the cobwebs off this guy soon. But thankyou very much for the interest.

14. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

I'm a huge Horrocons fanboy so I'm gonna have to give this thread a nudge too...

In all honesty though, I dont think its really possible to modify any of the Beast Era Primals into a convincing Apeface. Whilst it would seem the obvious choice given it already has two of his modes, the fact they're designed to specifically transform into two distinctive humanoid modes leaves little remaining articulation to create the Jet - pretty much anything you design is likely just gonna look like a robot or Gorilla with a Jet stuck to their back, and limbs all over the place.

...of course, you COULD simply repaint an Optimal Optimus, which already has an(incredibly unconvincing) Jet mode, but then it wouldn't really be kitbashing would it...?

15. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

heres a idea has anybody considered kitbashing optimal optimus into a ultra scale predacon super transmetal headmaster apeface and spasma?

it already hasa nifty looking jet mode as animal style triple changers go

im just saying

16. dsn1014

Thanks for having a look guys.

Well I think it can be done and look good, but I completely appreciate your arguments. My thoughts are to make a Universe Apeface, not a G1 one. I also think that the limbs sprawling about is not necessarily a disadvantage, it just means some redesign, it comes out as more a hover platform for Spasma than a jet. It may look like a humanoid on its front, but I'm doing it because I love this mold and wanted to do something with him, so I'm not troubled. I have pictures of what the jetmode might look like when it's done. I've got designs done for the folding of the wings for this mode, but I'm not sure if they'd read to anyone but myself very well.

[​IMG]

here's a small mock up I did, just to demonstrate arrangements of the legs in jet mode.

[​IMG]

Overall you're right, it isn't a mold that makes it easy, but that has offered me lots to think about and I enjoy the thinking and planning as much as doing anything. To the point that I think I'm well over my head for what this custom demands. Should anyone want to try it though I'd be delighted to help.

I'm with you 100%, he would be a perfect fit for the character, I'm just not a huge fan on the mold, its a bit too big for Apeface for my tastes. But that's just me.

I've made no progress on this whatsoever in the past while, except to see if some stuff fits. Please forgive the crapness of these photos, taken on my phone. If I get back to it at any time down the line, I've a lot to do still.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

If I might make a few suggestions and perhaps help you out...

Consider removing the twin maces from Primals backpack, cutting away the peg holes, and building a small container for the wings in this space. It looks like you have a scrap G1 Apeface in your possession, so perhaps you could create a similar mechanism as the one used in his jet mode to fold away the wings (also taken from the G1 toy) on his Robot back - THEN you can cut the peg off his Electro Fin Shield and mount a hinge on it to close this box up, with the shield doubling as his Gorilla mode chest.

That flight mode will need a nose cone to make it resemble a jet, so why not create one that splits into two halves, each side storing on his gorilla modes calves?

18. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Looking damn fine, bud.
    Keep givin'er hell.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Your design and your work so far look really great! Keep on workin' :thumb