Classics - advice needed...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Matt Nelson, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Matt Nelson

Matt Nelson Sinner

Okay, so I haven't purchased a single new Transformer since Vector Prime. I'm kind of the Absent Transformers Fan: Don't keep up with the new series, can't afford to buy the comics, like the toys but have more fun spending money with friends on five dollar coffee beverages, and don't produce fan art much anymore (though I've seen Super Deformers mentioned several times lately, and it makes me all tingly-giddy).

The problem is, I've now seen the Classics toys. They're quite nice-looking, and I find myself wanting to draw them. So, here's my question.

Which are the sturdiest, the best of the best? If I buy a couple, which should I get? I don't really care much for Megatron, since he turns into a big Taser (Yeah, that's right, I DON'T LIKE THE GUN). Prime looks quite nice, and I'm really entranced by Bumblebee and Starscream. But I'd like to know what you boys at home think, because I'm betting that you peoples probably have them all. Give a brotha a leg up?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I don't have the deluxe sized figures just yet, but I can tell you that Prime is obscenely good. Very well detailed, and extremely well articulated.

3. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Bumblebee is an essential purchase for any and all Transformers fans

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Bumblebee and Prime are exceptional. I love the whole line though, there's not much to go wrong with.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I've got to go with Rodimus being the best G1 update of the bunch. Starscream is a close second. Had they not changed the way his nose cone transformed into his chest, he'd have been perfect. The rest are really good toys, but not as much of a G1 update as I would have imagined or done myself.

To me, an updated G1 would still have the same transformation, similar looking alt mode, cartoon as possible robot mode, with modern toy articulation and sturdiness. That's why I vote Rodimus and Starscream as the best at pulling that off. Don't have wave 2 in hand yet to really judge anything.

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    you made a little typo but dont worry I fixed it for you

(Megatron is the only Classic I've bought so far, just on the grounds that I knew it would be awesome. Does a gun make sense for the leader of the Decepticons? No. But does it make for a nice toy? Yes. It's probably the single most fun Transformer I own. Don't knock it till you've tried it.)

7. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

So far I have Optimus, Megatron, Starscream and Bumblebee. Out of those four, Optimus and Bumblebee are my favorites and I'd highly recommend them. Megatron is actually cooler than I thought he'd be, though begging for a repaint.

8. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Megatron rules!

Then Bumblebee.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    repaint? I have no idea what you're talkin' about :D 

10. Deceptivore

Deceptivore Autobot Nutritionist

The entirety of Wave 1 is just fantastic and if you have the option, get them all.

If I had to narrow it down to just 1 essential though? I'd definitely go with Bumblebee. No wait, Prime.... Starscream! Gah!

You really can't go wrong no matter which ones you pick up.

11. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i would recommend all but astrotrain
    he seems the worst of the bunch IMO

all the rest are gold

Prime is freakin awesome

cool transformation. love his smokestack gun. bumblebee is just freakin sexy. the ultimate bee fah sure. Hot Rod is awesome. great lookin vehicle mode, awesomebot mode. starscream is great. its like Don's comic art brought to life. Megs is just sexy. Fun transformation. bot mode is amazing looking. aside from the colors he's one of my top favs

they're all awesome man. whatever you get you'll not be disappointed

12. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've got them all, I would say that Bumblebee and Optimus are safe bets, they are probably the best of the lot. I will agree that Megatron is the most fun, but he may not be for everyone. Starscream, Rodimus, Astrotrain are still all excellent too.

13. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I highly recommend Rodimus. I've got 3 of them. :) 

14. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Bumblebee is probally the sturdiest of them all. Prime does look sweet. My starscream has troble standing and from what ive seen with some others, mine is not the only not standing still or up very good.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My top bots of those released so far are Bumblebee, Optimus, and Megatron. I didn't expect to like Megatron either, but I found it unusually fun in gun mode and unusually cool in robot mode.

The other three have a few more flaws that make them less enjoyable (though it's a grading-curve kinda thing. The worst of the current Classics would still get a strong "B" grade in a line like Energon or Cybertron IMO)

16. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I've gotten all of the Classics that are out right now, but the only ones I've opened are Bumble and Hot Rod (got doubles of them). Hot Rod feels a bit on the delicate side, but Bumblebee rulz. If I were to get only one classic, I'd get him.

17. Slappytron

Slappytron Peace through Slapping

Bumblebee and Prime are #1/#2 so far in this line.

18. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    I've got every Classic that has come out so far. So, Matt, if you were only going to get one new Transformer from this line I say make it a Bumblebee. IMO, Bumblebee is the best Classic's deluxe mold to date.

19. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    That paint job is great. What type of paint did you use? Did you take him apart to paint him?

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I got everyone but Astrotrain too...and I must say this line is one of the better lines that Hasbro has put and I seriously love this line. However if given only a "limited" choice to buy the toys, I recommend Bumblebee...why because the rest of them have been released as homages in various lines (such as Cyberton, Energon) or reissues.

Classics version of Bumblebee is the best rendition of him ever released by Hasbro - excluding the Takara book reissue.