Heavy/Scratch: Classics 2pack prime leg mod WIP..and more...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Death333, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    IS NOW COMPLETE!!!! see page 2 for finished product. I didn't get to a few of the mods I wanted to do. Barring the making of some new pieces it's not possable. I exhausted every possibility and it's just not going to happen.

WIP as per the title and yes, i'll give instruction once I'm finished. It'll be a bit before I can start on thi again thanks to a cut on my right thumb. well, without further delay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The figure is fully functioning at this point but I need to finish a few more parts before i'll post bot mode pics which should be in about a week.

2. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

Looks more like a truck and less like a bot laying down. Nice.

3. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

I like it! Makes me wish I doubt the vs. pack for $20.00. Dumb dumb DUMB!!

But yeah, it's more Truck lookin now :D 

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    About time somebody did this. :thumb 

5. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Good work. Sorry about your thumb.

6. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Must...replicate....

Okay, I see that you've shaved off a significant amount of the plastic...but how do his legs stay up without collapsing like most G1 bots?

7. Death333

News Credits:
    I used Classic Starscream thighs. They have plastic nubs on all four sides and one that is spring loaded. By cutting grooves on the top inside of the calf (prime legs) to match the nubs you can get them to lock. A bit of a problem using Starscreams legs though: the plastic surrounding the balljoint adapter comes into to much contact with the crotch area. the top inside edges need to be ever so slightly shaved. Once this is done though the ball joints are loose. By using super glue in the ball joint (apply glue with thigh on joint and move the thigh around while it's drying) will increase the friction. Apply as many coats as needed.

8. Death333

News Credits:
    the other issue created by this mod is having to move the top screw. I've not attempted to relocate this just yet. It's actually the last problem I have left to solve on this mod. but I have an idea where to put it. Just awaiting my thumb to heal.....

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It's too bad you have to kill a Starscream to pull this off. I've never had the heart to buy a figure just to rip it apart for parts.

Do you think it's at all possible to pull off with his own thighs?

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you feel like building all-new knee joints for him, then by all means, give it a shot.

Starscream's legs work because they're virtually the same dimensions as Prime's original thighs, and they've already got the knee and slider mechanisms built in so you don't have to mess around with the engineering too much.

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Actually, I was looking at his legs last night, and I think it would be possible to cut out the knee joints and create a way for them to slide without destroying another figure. I just have to figure out a way to cut them away from the legs without wrecking them.

12. Death333

News Credits:
    I had originally thought about using two Primes and cutting around the knee joints in one (to use those) and cutting out the knee joints in another to use for the outsides.......that's twice the work for the same effort really.

You could get creative and make a mesh of each one. Cutting off the bottom (joint portion) of Primes thighs and gluing on SS knees. But I'd be worried about stress on the glued parts there due to tightness of SS knees.

I personally didn't like Primes old thighs. They pissed me off because 70% of the time they wouldn't line up correctly. Plus, the boxy thighs give more of a G1 one look which goes well with a G1 looking Prime.

13. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cool stuff! Did you see this alteration to his head and colors?

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5972/1168772307948us0.jpg

I could do without he extra yellow on the waist but the other changes are neat. Anyway, maybe if you're in the mood to make other alterations this might inspire you some. Hope you don't mind me posting it and taking away focus from your work :( 

14. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Cool. I think I have a broken Classics Starscrem laying around that had belonged to my kids (the dog got it's nose cone).

I might have to try this.

15. Death333

News Credits:
    Don't mind at all. It's always good to see what others are doing. that megs looks pretty good. I agree with you on op, a bit too much yellow but otherwise very nice.

I have some extra paint apps in mind but nothing too heavy.

I'm still just hanging back waiting for my thumb to heal. I've finally been able to take the bandage off. now i'm just waiting on the nail to finish seperating from the skin......euch.

16. Death333

News Credits:
    Go for it. FYI, I have added on the back of primes legs, Starscreams shoulders. I'll post pics this week of that. The piece is just a flat square piece of plastic that fits perfectly into the square slot behind the knee for stability in the legs. It is absolutely needed and key to making the knees function. Also, inside the calf you notice that the front of the knee is not flush with the actual leg. I took SS Feet and cut them to fit inside to provide stability as in the front. Withouot these two pieces the knee will just flop around inside the leg. Again I'll add pics so you can see what i'm talking about.

17. Death333

News Credits:
    Pics in refference to the above

So about the focus, the camera was dieing and is now dead so I had to be quick.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Death333

News Credits:
    Sorry about the lack of update folks. My previous cut was pretty serious. I actually cut into the nail and as such I had to wait for it to fall off. It's gone now so I'm just waiting for it to grow back. shouldn't be more than another week or two before I can get back to work on this and my other projects.

Thanks.

19. Death333

News Credits:
    Well, I'm finally done. Nearly cutting my thumb in half postponed the finish by so little but postponed it nonethe less. Without Further adue:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He has lost a bit of articulation because Starscreams thighs have the rotation joint underneath the knee but he can still strike a great pose and IMO he looks so much better in Alt mode.

20. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I like your idea