Classics 2-pack Optimus Prime vs. Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by NotoriousBIC, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

"They're the same size as the other Classic deluxes" means nothing to me. I'm not much into collecting. These just looked too interesting a set to miss getting.

So, appoximate height in inches?

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    7 inches give or take.

3. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    More like 5 1/2 to 6 inches. 7 inches is more like Voyager sized.

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    If the one you want is the shortest one in that pic of the three robots, PM me. I have one MISB to sell and I'm only asking $40 plus shipping. That's about $5 less than most online stores.

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Got my set today. Megatron had the feet installed wrong, but it was an easy fix, just unscrew the inner legs and swap the feet. Spinning gimmick is ok. Colors are not the best, and the toy feels a bit cheap. Still alright though. 7/10

Optimus Prime? It's an optimal piece of crap. It's only good in robot mode if you can lock the chest, otherwise, it's floppy and ugly as hell in cab mode. Headsculpt is pretty bad, but still better than RID Prime (regular mode). In that style, the Robotmasters version is a much better toy. 3/10

PS : I got my set for $41CAN shipped.

6. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Can someone post some comparison shots with the voyager classics primes and megs.

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got mine yesterday. I know they aren't the best versions of these characters by any stretch, but seeing that you get a Megs, a Prime, a DVD (although I don't really care about that), and up your classics collection by two for only $20, I would say they are well worth it.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just a little clarification, now that I've got some better info:

My Megatron has the backwards feet as well (didn't realize Mr. BIC's pix were of a reversed-foot Megs at the time) I tried reversing them, and agree that's probably the proper way they should go based on how it fits into the tank mode. I give a higher priority to the robot mode myself, so I switched back, cause I think it looks better that way on the Bot mode, and not that bad in tank mode. (not like 8 out of 10 Optimus toys have feet sticking out the back end of the vehicle mode anyway, so Megs should have the luxury once in a while :)  )

9. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'd better go see if I can find them then.

10. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    Thanks for pointing this out, I thought I had a broken one and was prepared to return him; he looks much better when it locks down.

11. TSFC

TSFC Banned

I got these today. The last one on the shelves no less.

I uh...wow. They're not the worst figures, but they sure do rank up there among them.

Wow.

I've yet to put the DVD in. I figure I might as well completely and totally torture myself with this set.

I only mildly recommend this set to hardcores and completists.
    I do however, love the robot modes. (Except Megatron's. His right arm is pathetic.)

EDIT: Update....

After having fiddled with them over and over, and watching the DVD, I have to change my view of them.

Now that Prime's chest locks, he went from .5 stars up to 2.5 out of 5. His robot mode is still fantastic.

I was able to fashion a pseudo and poseable "Claw" out of Megatron's spinning gun/blade device. He went from 1.5 stars up to a solid 3.0 out of 5.

Clearly, he is the better of the two figures out of this set, which we've all agreed on, but it could've all been done better.

No offense, they're passable, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of care or love put into them during the design phase. It was almost like they were slapped together and just rushed out.

The DVD however, I did enjoy 100% oddly enough.

So the set's not a total loss, and kids will enjoy it, so I expect it'll be flyin' off the shelves.

12. Evan Goldsborough

Well, I'm starting to REALLY dislike Wal-Mart.

Two weeks in a row now I've gone in to check for these. Not only have I yet to see the two-pack, I've also yet to see ANY classics since I saw the Voyager Class Prime and Megatron in there 3 weeks back. The toys ARE being restocked: there were a crapload of new Cybertron toys on the shelves, but still no Classics. Either they're selling out too fast, or they're not bothering to put them out.

Still waiting for Amazon to get them as well...

13. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I gotta say, this is probably my least favorite Prime they've made..well, in the truck department, something on him just doesn't do it for me, the head scupt, the swirving top, it has a rather cheap feeling about it..But, oh well, it's Prime. Megatron I couldn't really care for either. It's a nice idea, and at the price, it's worth picking up, but, well..Blah. Just kinda blah.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll take that Megs off you if you don't want it. :D 

15. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I was kinda let down with the dvd, I don't think it did enough, if it was going to show the epic battles of a gen-1 type Prime, it should have gone back to show the gen-1 cartoon. Which it didn't do, at all.

16. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

That could be arranged, sure.

17. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Really? Is he that bad? I thought he'd be the saving grace of the box set.

18. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I collect Primes more so than Megatron. I'll put this Meg with the Classics line, but for that, I'd only need one, so..

19. Evan Goldsborough

20. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I just got these two. They're currently part of my 'work' collection: Fiddly guys I keep around my desk to keep my hands occupied when I'm stuck idle (Like now. Stupid XP update...)

Optimus Prime:

Locking the spinning feature on Op is a bit tricky at first, but it locks solid, and you can tell from the notch that it was intentional. Phew! Had me scared for a bit. With the gimmick thoroughly disabled, he's actually a pretty solid little fig in robot mode. Both upper arm and upper thigh swivels, ball-jointed shoulders with good clearance, nothing to really hinder poseability. The gun is neat, and very 'Tommygun-ish' as was mentioned previously. The headsculpt could use some work... but I've seen worse.

Vehicle mode is... it doesn't exist. He's an Actionmaster. That's not the literal truth, but trust me, it's not worth the 30 seconds it takes to transform him.

I suspect his design is meant to be as close to the Marvel G2 comics Prime as possible.

Megatron:

Easily the superior of the two molds. Mine has the mis-assembled feet as well... hasn't attempted a fix, but although the mis-assembled feet interfere with turret swivel, they don't otherwise hinder transformation. He looks good in either mode, very much a homage to the G2 comic Megatron.

The gun-arm is a bit strange, and the spinning axe/halberd thing would come off much better without the gimmick and with an elbow joint. The handgun is nifty, and very military, perfectly suiting this Megatron. Megs is definitely the reason to get this two-pack.

Not anywhere near the jaw-dropping level of the other Classics so far, but certainly not a bad purchase.