Heavy/Scratch: Classics 2 pack OPTIMUS mods

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Budokhan, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Budokhan

Budokhan Wheeljack's apprentice

Hey Gang!

Finally got my RTS laser prime thru the mail the other day ( great figure, dunno why I held out so long on gettin' 'im) & had my Classics 2 pack OPTIMUS PRIME Standing beside it. Somehow, poor 2 pack Optimus just looked a bit...well...Forlorn!

While 2 pack OPTIMUS isn't neccesarily a bad figure, he certainly needs that more HEROIC look! So saying, I did a down n dirty hack-n-slash & came up with my usual laundry list of xtras to be added to this guy...someday :lol ! Right now he's just a "back-burner" idea but I gotta put my ideas down when the inspirations there, even if the project doesnt get started right off fhe bat, know what I mean?

& Also, yes....I know many will ask so let me answer before you do....I am indeed still workin on Arcee & haven't forgotten her, believe me, I cant! ( She pesters me every damn day, cause as she says, "How can I be expected to go shopping with only one hand & one foot?" ;)  ) I'm almost finished revising some of the previous revisons on her and am thoroughly pleased with how they've turned out so far. I'll be sharing those just as soon as there ready to be photoed!

Anyway, enuff yammerin'....on to the good stuff!!

Da laundry list:

Classics 2 pack OPTIMUS PRIME xtras:

- Reworked head (just a bit closer to G1)

- New, sculpted ball jointed neck

- L.E.D. eyes

- New cover plate for retractable head

- Ball jointed, retractable ankles

- Knees that retract into lower legs ( to give him a shorter alt. mode wheelbase )

- Chest grille slides backward for 'Bot mode & forward for alt. mode

- Forearms length extended slightly

- New, ball jointed hands that fold backwards into forearm pockets

- Add onto & lengthen side windows towards back of cab

- New, longer exhaust stacks

- Front wheel wells will magnetically "attach" to sides of silver waist area when transforming to 'Bot mode

- Transfer silver "vent" details on inner sides of lower legs to front of legs & front details to inner sides of legs ( again, more G1'ish looking )

- Front bumper to be remade from sheet styrene & have outer edges hinged to flip inwards ( so as to lessen the appearence of back kibble )

- New, G1'ish Blaster

- New Energy "AXE" will be interchangeable with either wrist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

& the last pic...just cause it was a cool shot!

[​IMG]

Cheers!

~BK

Attached Files:

• Thread title pic.jpg
      Thread title pic.jpg
      File size:
      190.4 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      221.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      221.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      214.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      263.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      143.6 KB
      Views:
  2. leobreaker1977

leobreaker1977 Well-Known Member

can't wait to see it finished! this looks really cool. I love the gundam hands too.

3. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Looks good so far. Can't wait to see him all cleaned up and painted.

4. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

& Also, yes....I know many will ask so let me answer before you do....I am indeed still workin on Arcee & haven't forgotten her, believe me, I cant! ( She pesters me every damn day, cause as she says, "How can I be expected to go shopping with only one hand & one foot?" ) I'm almost finished revising some of the previous revisons on her and am thoroughly pleased with how they've turned out so far. I'll be sharing those just as soon as there ready to be photoed!

^lol it almost felt like you when talking to me! Cant wait to see what you do to this Prime too!

5. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see this guy finished; it's going to look fantastic once it's done.

Hopefully after seeing this I'll finally get off my lazy aft and actually start modding my Prime; spent a year figuring out a transformation scheme that has no back kibble, hides the torso wheels, and results in a much better looking alt mode.

Rambling over, this looks great so far; making an ok toy a lot better, one that befits a Prime.

6. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    that really is a great mold it was just missing a few things to make it awesome

and i think you about covered it, i always enjoy seeing what you come up with and watching you work progress

fantastic stuff, oh and all hail the peanut butter epoxy!!!

7. thedreaded1

thedreaded1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can u provide a tutorial on the retractable knees and head plate cover? I've been trying to do something similar but not sure how to follow through.

8. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Lookin' pretty good. Definitely want to see the finished project. :D 

Not to be off-topic, but personally, the biggest flaw the mold has are the legs. Obviously, there's the flimsy friction joint on the waist, but that can be easily fixed with a pin (or whatever you creative minds use). If the legs "telescoped" (like the Classics Seeker mold), the truck would look more proportionate, and it would add a bit to his transformation. Has anyone attempted that?

9. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

I'm working on one of these right now too. I need me some of those hands! Can't wait to see what all you do.

10. Quantum25

Actually yes, there's been several customs where Prime's legs were replaced with ones from the seeker mold (albeit modified to have tires of course).
    Off the top of my head, I know Solrac333 did one.

11. Budokhan

Thanks guys!

You know me too well good sir! :lol  & thanks for the kind words, Im bettin he's gonna look groovy when done :cool: 

Thanks for the kind words my friend! Sounds like you got some really good ideas there for yours as well, hadn't even thought about trying to minimize the back kibble & that idea about hiding the torso wheels is just pure genius!

I was just curious, what would you say to doing a collaborative "redesign" on 'ol Prime here? Might just be what you need to get yours goin, we could swap some ideas ( I got some good ones concerning the head) & between the two of us I'd bet prime would be totally rockin'!
    Just a thought man, lemme know?

Thanks man, I love to hear that folks are enjoying stuff that I work on, even if its not yet done (& by this I'm certainly not referring to any white an pink fembots...*cough* *cough* :wink: )Hopefully I've inspired a lot of the good folks around here to try some fun things! :D 

And yeah, ya gotta love that Peanutty-buttery epoxy yumminess! :lol  Too bad it aint like Elmer's glue, at least when we were kids in grade school you could eat that & it wouldn't hurt ya!

I can make a tut for the head cover sure enuff, it may not be for a while tho, still workin' on some other things. As for the retractable legs thing, what I'm planning is nothing more than a straight out replication on the Classics "seekers" telescoping leg mechanism. It works so well that, aside from the size difference, its the perfect choice for the telescoping legs for Prime. I just have to replicate the design on a slightly smaller scale so that the mechanism can be mounted to the inside of the existing legs without having to replace Optimus's legs altogether with the slightly larger seeker legs, ya know?

Cool dude! C'mon & post some wip pics ( if ya havent already that is:D  ) i'd love to see your take on this mold!

As for the hands, there's these :

1/144 Custom Hand A | HobbyLink Japan

& these ( which are moar G-wunnish):

1/144 Hands w/Rounded Fingers A | HobbyLink Japan

As always gang, thanks for stopping by & commenting!

-Cheers!

~BK

12. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    ^ hahaha no kidding

when i was a kid we ate dirt , rocks all kinda things we werent supposed too, we also road bikes without wearing helmets. and we all turned out fine, well............... most of us anyway

13. Quantum25

A collaboration sounds great, it's just that I don't have any free time recently to get any actual work done on my now growing list of projects, other than coming up with ideas.
    But I would love to run some ideas by you.
    By the way, how's work on Arcee going?

14. Budokhan

Agreed on all counts, especially the last part.... definitely explains how I turned out! :crazy: :lol 

Sounds great for the collaboration my friend! I totally hear ya on the free time thing, not much these days myself & its about the same as for coming up with ideas for future projects...but I do love to brainstorm! Personally, for me at least, its half the fun of kitbashing & scratchbuilding stuff! Any time you wanna swap ideas, you're always welcome to drop a line or call if you wish!

Arcees goin.....weeeeell...these days......slowly, I'm afraid. Far more slowly in fact than I'd care for but still, some progress is better than none at all I suppose. I just had a very informative conversation with Big Hank the other day( HUGE thanks to him :bowdown: ) concerning the wiring layout for Arcee's internal head LED & battery setup. I had a very vague idea of how to go about it but thanks to him, its crystal clear so at least when I move forward with finishing that up, it wont be a mystery any longer! :D  While I'm not a complete novice at lighting stuff up, I still dont have a very good grasp on how to wire & power LEDs in anything more complex than 1 LED & two batteries! :lol 

15. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

lovin the work so far, i'm tryin my hand at this as well but idk if it'll turn out as good as yours so far ;) 

16. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really like the neck if it's going to stay like that. It's raised too high up.

17. Peagis

Peagis Superion

Ebay:
    very cool!

18. Windswept

Windswept Active Member

I happened upon the 2 pack at the dollar store today of all places and picked it up on a whim, reminded of all the improvements you're making to Prime. Despite its faults, it's not a bad figure in and of itself. In short, you've inspired me to do some work on it myself!

19. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This is a nice mold, despite the flack that it typically gets. Good to see someone giving it some TLC to make it even better.