Classics 2.0 Ultra Class Powerglide

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Draven, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Oh man, what a great day for mail today; Classics 2.0 Onslaught and Powerglide. Onslaught's already got his review up, so now it's the turn of everyone's favourite little red jet.
    ...hang on.
    ...He's not little. In fact, he's bigger than Classics Jetfire.
    ...He's not red either. Hmm.
    OK. Let's take a look at this guy.
    PART ONE - JET MODE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Powerglide's jet mode remains a stylised A-10 Warthog. VERY stylised, I have to say. He is predominantly light grey, with red details. I think he must have some kind of identity crisis; he's got 3 different sets of ID markings on him.
    Powerglide's undercarriage folds out; a single nosewheel, and double wheels from each wing. However, I really hope I've got him somehow mistransformed; his nose points down at an alarming angle. In fact, when you put his nose-mounted chaingun on, the front wheel doesn't even touch the ground.
    [​IMG]
    See what I mean? Oh dear.
    The chaingun, incidentally, is really quite nice; it doubles as his robot mode's rifle (more on that later). However having the missile in it when it's attached to his jet mode means that the end of the missile hits a piece of underhanging robot mode kibble and either stops the gun pointing straight or bends the missile. Oh dear again.
    Anyway. Moving on.
    Detail-wise, Powerglide is exceptional. he is covered in panels and rivets and vents and such. I particularly like the nose section:
    [​IMG]
    Really nice detailing, and the chaingun just enhances the look SO much.
    [​IMG]
    The red button on top of the jet activates Powerglide's sound & light gimmicks (the batteries, 2 AAA ones, are stored in his engines. Very nice, I thought) - the orange rears of the engines light up, and he makes:
    -a whooshing jet noise
    -what sounds like a missile firing
    -a rapid fire chaingun-like sound
    Pretty sweet.
    In conclusion, Powerglide's jet mode is a REALLY nice one, with a few unfortunate issues. To be honest, though, there's nothing that would have actively put me off getting him. If Onslaught's vehicle mode is a 9 (and he SO is), Powerglide's scrapes through with a 6.8.

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    Looks great - still not sure whether I prefer the Japanese version over this.
    I have them both ordered tho ;) 

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    PART TWO - ROBOT MODE
    [​IMG]
    ...Dayum. Somewhere between G1 and now, powerglide pumped some iron. He's seriously bulked up. In fact, his proportions in general remind me of a body builder. Well, that or his legs are just too bloody small.
    Yeah. As you can probably already tell, I'm not so fired up about this guy as I was about Onslaught. Still, he has some VERY nice redeeming features.
    In fact, one of my favourites is related to his transformation (which, by the way, is fairly complex, but nothing mind-shatteringly hard). When you transform his chest, you hear the classic G1 transformation noise, as heard for vehicle->robot. When you transform him back to jet mode, you hear the classics G1 transformation noise again - but this time as heard for robot->alt mode! REALLY nice touch!
    Anyway, Nerdgasm #1 over. Back to robot mode.
    [​IMG]
    Powerglide's robot mode kibble doesn't really hurt him that badly; he's oddly proportioned, yes, but he absolutely oozes character. his head is a rather radical update on the original...
    [​IMG]
    ...but it's definitely still Powerglide. Right down to the gun barrel on one side of his head. Nice touch, that.
    Sounds and light gimmicks are, as with Onslaught, carried over from alt mode to robot mode. However, the red button to activate them is now hidden beneath the jet's tail. no biggie; you just press down on the tail. As with Onslaught, Powerglide's eyes flash when you activate the sounds.
    ...And so do his manboobs. LOL.
    And speaking of his chest:
    [​IMG]
    He has a HEART. Nerdgasm #2. Although not for me; I hated that episode violently. Oh well.
    Now. Articulation.
    Powerglide has articulation in his head (no balljoint, 360 degree rotation), shoulders, above-elbow swivel, elbows, waist, hips, knees. Ankles due to his transformation. In all, not bad. The only problem is that he's not that stable. Because of his hip ratchets, he can either stand with his legs close together, or splayed apart just enough to stop him balancing properly on his pointy lil' feet. However when you do find a pose that works, he looks... pretty good.
    [​IMG]
    Not brilliant, but... pretty good.
    CONCLUSION
    Powerglide is... flawed. Jet mode looks brilliant, except for the undercarriage (possibly/hopefully my fault, but I don't honestly think so). Gimmicks are pretty nice. Robot mode is oddly proportioned and difficult to pose, yet somehow endearing. He's not red, but the Henkei version probably will be ENTIRELY red.
    He's nice, but nowhere near as good as Onslaught. I'd give him a 7/10, with a very large "try before you buy" attached to it.

4. scourge25

scourge25 Banned

I am defintly going to pick him up. I want some more flying Autobots for my team. I know Onslaught will give Powerglide some go.:thumbs2: 

5. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will be picking up both versions of this one in each mode. Hasbro's version looks the best in bot mode.

6. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Darn, i expected the heart gimmick to somehow be more...light up?

7. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Hmmm, I'm not so interested in him anymore. I was more interested in the Henkei version since it'll be red, but in this review he just looks...."meh" to me.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Well, I've sorted his leg issues out; I cut off the first notch on the bottom edge of each of the ratcheting pieces on his hip joints. He can stand a LOT better now. I'm revising my robot mode score to 8/10 when modified. Odd how such a tiny thing can make ALL the difference, isn't it?

9. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't ever remember reading reviews of your's Draven, but this and the Onslaught review are excellent. You take good photos and I like your honest stance on both figures.

I'll pick this one up because I like most jet transformers.

10. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review Draven, you've just made buying Powerglide so much easier. Despite the weird proportions and the update, Powerglide still very much looks like Powerglide of old.

11. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Great review, but I think I'll be skipping this guy. Too much else to get at the same time. Nice to know what I'll be missing though!

12. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Nice reviews, Draven (both this one and Onslaught)! I'm pretty excited about both of these figures. While it's a bit disappointing to hear some of Powerglide's flaws (since obviously I'm fond of the character) he still looks well worth a purchase. Or three purchases, really, since there's no way I'll let the Henkei and Decepticon repaints slip by me. :) 

One thing I noticed, looking at your photos, is that he seems to have two shades of grey/white goin' on. It looks like one is a little more silvery, and the other a little more cream-colored. In person, does this stand out or bother you? It looks a little mis-matched in the photos.... like it should have been kept all one tone.

Another thing I notice.... that button on his plane mode's back. Holy cow, could they have been any less subtle? BIG RED BUTTON... PUSH ME! Feels like it could have been disguised as some airplane part or something.

Given the extreme whiteness of the Hasbro version and the extreme redness of the Henkei version, I'm thinking I'll be performing an arm-swap (and possibly a thigh-swap) between the two of them. I think it would break them up a little more, color-wise.

Anyway, thanks again! And thanks for the back photo of his robot mode.... that's the first I've seen from that angle, so it's good to see how the cockpit and tailfins stow back there.

13. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Great review.

I like the sound and heart gimmicks. Powerglide's head and torso looks out of proportion though. Also, why grey...

Not the best Jet mode.

[​IMG]

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    The flaws are easy enough to deal with; it's dead easy to shave one notch off the hip ratchets. And with the chaingun on, the jet mode sits pretty much level without the undercart anyway.
    The grey is concentrated pretty well, actually; it is found on the lower thighs (below the mid-thigh swivel), groin/waist, midriff and chest. In other words, the middle of his body is grey, and the rest is the creme colour. it actually works really well when you see it in person.
    :lol  I know, right? made me chuckle too.
    I'm, tempted to do that too, I must admit. You could get him a LOT more "homage accurate" that way, for sure.
    Glad you liked the reviews! (that goes for everyone; thanks guys :) ) The tailfins fold up pretty neatly, but the jet top just sort of hangs there. I'll try to get a set of transformation sequence pics up tomorrow.

15. Synthetic Breed

Synthetic Breed Supreme Autubot Commander

Best reviews ive seen on this site, excellent job Draven keep it up. Also, thanks because this easily saves me 30.00. I think the heart's a nice touch but he looks just WEIRD> Onslaught I already paid for. Can't wait to get him. thanks man!

16. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    hey, do you have any comparison pictures with other classics figures? for onslaught and powerglide please, ooh, and can you compare them to each other?

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Sure; I'll get some comparison pics taken. Give me a few minutes. :) 
    [​IMG]
    You can see the colour distribution pretty well here; the grey is on the middle of the body, and the creme is on the outsides. Also, you can see him standing a LOT better now, thanks to the hip ratchet joint mod I did. :) 

18. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    sweeeeeeet!

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    OK Lumpy, here's some comparison shots for you :) 
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

They don't quite look right together. Anyone think that his head is HUGE?