Classics 2.0 Ultra Class Onslaught

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Draven, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    OK. Got this guy this morning (along with Powerglide, who I'll be reviewing later). I know D Banks has one of his awesome video reviews of this guy up, so I'll put my review in here so as to not hijack his thread.
    PART ONE - VEHICLE MODE
    [​IMG]
    GOOD GOD. THIS THING LOOKS MEAN AS HELL.
    [​IMG]
    Onslaught's alt mode is a 6 wheeled SWAT van, and a very mean one at that. He feels extremely solid in alt mode; very playable. The gun turret on top can rotate 90 degrees left and right, but the gun barrels don't elevate. This leads to one of my two only real problems with the toy; the barrels attach in the same way as Leader Class movie Brawl's; they're not as easy to pop out as his, but be careful you don't lose them anyway.
    Onslaught has 2 huge thingumies that fold down on the front; I really wouldn't want to be the poor Autobot who gets hit by them. You can really imagine Onslaught rumbling towards someone and doing them some serious damage.
    [​IMG]
    Sound & Light gimmicks in vehicle mode:
    -Rolling him makes an engine sound
    -Pressing a button on the back of the turret alternately produces gun sounds and siren sounds
    The large SWAT shield on top of Onslaught's vehicle mode is removable; the turret is very nicely detailed underneath. A rather cool touch is that there is a panel on the shield that moves, so you can activate the sounds with it attached by pressing the panel down.
    [​IMG]
    A nice little by-product of Onslaught's transformation is that the hatch on top of the SWAT van opens! That's just COOL.
    [​IMG]
    Onslaught's alt mode is superb. A nice, chunky, extremely mean looking vehicle with some nasty weaponry. Fantastic. 9/10.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    PART TWO - ROBOT MODE
    Transformation is fairly simple: his legs take up most of the time it takes to get him into robot mode. No great surprises to be found here really.
    Anyway. Robot mode.
    [​IMG]
    Oh yes. This is DEFINITELY Onslaught. The colours, the wheels on the legs, guns on the back... unmistakable IMO.
    [​IMG]
    His head sculpt is fantastic; a really nice update of the original.
    [​IMG]
    Onslaught has articulation in his hips, knees, mid-thigh, shoulders, mid-upper-arm, wrists, elbows, and head (no balljoint, but can rotate 360 degrees). He's very stable in robot mode, and nicely posable.
    [​IMG]
    The sound and light gimmicks from his alt mode are carried over to his robot mode; the button on the back produces the same sounds, but this time you can also see his visor light up. The huge claw thingumies from his alt mode can be folded out in his robot mode, making him look unfeasibly mean. His right arm has a spring loaded gun attached to it. His shield can either stay on his back, or attach to his left arm - a piece folds out to attach it to.
    And now, my other gripe with him - his legs. The grey pieces that cover the alt mode's front wheels when you transform him don't like staying in place. they only peg in, and because you have to tab the front of his legs into them as well, either the pegs tend to pop back out or the front tab pops out. It's a minor thing, but vaguely irritating. However, that and the gun barrel issue mentioned in the alt mode review are literally the ONLY things that bug me about him.
    CONCLUSION
    [​IMG]
    If you were to look in a dictionary for the definition of "I AM GOING TO F*CK YOU UP", you'd see a picture of Classics 2.0 Onslaught. There's just something about him, in both modes, that simply screams badass. He's very solid and extremely playable in both modes, he has a good transformation, neat gimmicks, a superb colour scheme that definitely evokes the original - in short, he is exactly what the Classics line is all about. An all-round superb figure. 9.5/10.

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  3. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    Excellent review Draven (did that come from D&D Shadow over Mystara? Just curious)!

Text reviews are God-sent at work here where online videos are blocked. Not that I'd like to risk watching anyway. Have been wanting to get this bad boy and oyur excellent pics & review have only strengthened my intend to do so! :thumbs2: 

4. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome review Draven. Looking at your figure and compairing them with the Henkei version what stands out as being different? I am on the fence on which one to get but I can not find any bold differences.
    [​IMG]

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Honestly? I can't see any difference at all. I have to say, though, that in my opinion it'd be VERY hard to make any colour changes that would improve him; he's pretty damn spot-on as it is.

6. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :jawdropper: :jawdropper:  I MUST have this figure. Great review Draven

7. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    If only real S.W.A.T. vehicles were so mean looking.

Onslaught looks like he'd be more appropriate for "Terrifying Weapons and Tactics".

Any possibility of a look at the instructions or some in-progress leg transformations? Those legs look interesting. About the only thing that doesn't look superb on him, honestly, is the rear view, with his "junk-in-da-trunk" skidplate.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Man, I really love Onslaught, but this figure just doesn't look worth my money. Maybe if they had made him a Voyager.

My only real grip is the wrists and the legs. the legs look terrible, IMO, but It will be a first when I totally dismiss a figure just because of his/her legs. the wrists have the same problem with not rotating for proper poses.

Still, the design as a hole is nice and I'm surprised I've never seen him with the ridiculous sheild off. His vehicle mode looks so much better. (even though it's not a truck like G1 or similar)

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If Hasbro don't want to use the word "slag", there's unfortunately NO way they would use the word "TWAT". ;) 
    OK, a step-by-step:
    1. Open out the panels as shown.
    [​IMG]
    2. Pull the van sides out at the front. The grey pieces are hinged to allow you to do this (they clip onto the upper part of the van on the inside).
    [​IMG]
    3. Swing the legs down.
    [​IMG]
    4. Open out the grey panel on the leg.
    [​IMG]
    5. Fold the panel with the van's front wheel inwards.
    [​IMG]
    6. Close the grey panel again.
    [​IMG]
    7. Fold the front of the leg (van side) onto the grey panel. It locates with a tab.
    [​IMG]
    8. Legs finished.
    [​IMG]
    9. Fold down the headlights, and pull out the van front sides.
    [​IMG]
    10. Straighten out the arms.
    [​IMG]
    11. Swing the van cab down. The van front clips onto the robot body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Aaand you're done. :) 
    [​IMG]
    I appear to have missed a couple of things off when I did the review; first up, he does have rotating wrists. I just found them because they were really night.
    Second, Folding in the panels on the end of his feet. Totally forgot to do that, and it makes him look a lot better.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That is a surprisingly involved conversion. He just gained points with me.

11. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Great review. I'm really looking forward to this figure.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    It's involved, but it's intuitive. Which is exactly how I've always liked TFs to be; none of the headaches of figures like RID Sideburn, where you know what it's supposed to look like, but that's sometimes all you've got. ;) 
    Check out the edit, bro; I found a couple of things and addressed your gripes. He might be about to gain more points. :) 

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Ah, I see. Thanks so much. The wrists are awesome news (the gap doesn't bother me at all) and the feet look way better, though the legs themselves still look a little fudged, I can live with them more now that I see the feet can look more like robot feet.

So far, three confirmed buys for Universe mainline figs for me.

14. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    The transformation as a whole looks rather sensible but clever, thanks for the supah-fast-updates, Draven. He may be one of my few Universe figs that I pick up. :thumb 

15. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hot damn, he looks amazing! Been hoping for a good pics-and-text review. Thanks, d00d!

As far as I can tell from pics of each, the main difference looks to be the deco on the head. Where Hasbro's is black with silver on the sides of the face, Takara's has a black forehead, silver mouthplate, and blue on the sides. Plus, I'm sure they'll cram some inappropriate chrome on there somewhere. :rolleyes2 

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    There's nothing to indicate the ultra USA Editions will have chrome. None of the photos released thus far have any, and they are all different from the Hasbro decoes. They aren't going to be part of the Henkei line, officially anyway.

17. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    damn i got beat again:lol 

at least i got the first acid storm i think:wink: 

i love universe 2.0

18. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't get the people who say Henkei is superior, the blue goes so much better with the gold than the gray/bley/w/e TakaraTomy is gonna call it.

Besides, wasn't Onslaught blue to begin with?

Bring on the Mega Octane repaint! (please?)
    DN

19. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome :D 

20. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was never really on the fence with Onslaught, always intended to get him. But after this review, he's become one of my most anticipated new figures in the line. Now I just need an Octane/Tankor review to get more excited about him.