Classics 2.0 Silverbolt Feedback (with pictures!)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by unicronsupreme, Aug 6, 2008.

1. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I can't believe there wasn't one of these already, anyways:

Vehicle mode (I don't do number ratings/10):

It's a fairly standard supersonic jet mode thing. I really like the shape, I don't think I have a jet transformer that's really this shape. Thankfully the landing gear actually works on this one!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks pretty nice from the top, but it you flip if over you can see the robot chest pretty obviously.
    [​IMG]

The rear red button plays sound effects. The sound effects are the same three as on Powerglide: a take off sound, a woosh sound, and a gun sound. The first two cause orange lights in the engines to go off and the last one causes two green lights near the front to go off. The front red button doesn't do squat in jet mode.

Transformation: Pretty simple. Remove gun
    [​IMG]

Fold nosecone over and tailfins down
    [​IMG]

flip him over and fold up the landing gears
    [​IMG]

fold arms out
    [​IMG]

Fold out the hands and move the arms to wherever you want
    [​IMG]

Pull out the legs to the side
    [​IMG]

Straighten out the legs and pull out the feet
    [​IMG]

Push the legs up into the torso (no pic for this sorry), when you do that it plays the transformation noise and his eyes glow green like so:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put the gun in whatever hand you want, done!
    [​IMG]

Robot mode: I think the robot mode is really good with a few tiny exceptions.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't like the weird pinkish red color on his chest. I didn't own this guy in g1 colors so I don't know if that's accurate or not, I just don't like it. I'm not a huge fan of the dull smile he has, but it's not a big deal, it looks like a scowl at the right angle. The last thing I don't like, is that his eyes will ONLY light up when you transform him. Unlike with Powerglide or Onslaught you cannot push his sound button in robot mode and light his eyes up. He has nice big eyes and beautiful green lights behind them, this was a huge missed opportunity. On the good side, his gun is very cool and I always like missiles, he has good articulation and he is pretty well balanced, though just a tad back heavy. What is VERY cool is that he has a button mechanism that will still push the original sound button even though it's hidden

[​IMG]

That is very neat to me since Powerglide's was a pain to push in 'bot mode.

Here's some comparison pics because everyone seems to love those for some reason:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (In hindsight, i should have put Jetfire in this picture too.)

Overall, he's not groundbreaking, or complicated, but he is a very solid transformer with no major flaws. Just about everything this figure sets out to do, it does right. It's just not all that ambitious, and I can't fault Hasbro for that. Not every toy can has to be super complicated. I find that the short transformation actually increases the play value because you don't have to spend 10 minutes transforming him. I don't get why everyone loves leader TFA megs (I do!) who has a simple transformation, but rags on Silverbolt, who is a smaller class and has about the same complication.

[​IMG]

Overall, he's not groundbreaking, or complicated, but he is a very solid transformer with no major flaws.

2. TheCuddlyDevil

TheCuddlyDevil Well-Known Member

That's a great review.

To be honest, I can't believe this guy got an Ultra-class figure. He just seems so plain. Though I'm not a fan of the Powerglide toy, he looks worth it. Andyes, I'm excited for onslaught.

But nice pics.

3. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review. This is the guy I've really been looking forward to. He's a total throwback to simpler times but with great articulation.

4. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I wish his was a gun which turned into a sword like Cybertron Snarl. Doesn't the shape of the gun makes it look like a sword?

5. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    It's been a long time since I've seen G1 Silverbolt, but the transformation was much the same. Flip him over, and the robot is staring you in the face. It's a plane stuck on the robot's back. So in that respect, it seems very faithful to the original. :) 

6. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    i Just noticed something and had a thought.

Noticed: If you insert the missile so that the A in the head of it is upside down, it won't launch. Dunno if that's intentional or what, but it's a nice way to not lose the missile.

Thought: The creators at botcon said they couldn't make Galvatron bigger because they already had too many big tanks. Do they not have the same situation regarding big planes only worse? lesse here: Starscream, Voy. Megs, Lugnut, Blitzwing, Blaster, Powerglide and Silverbolt? The only tank that's out now that's above dlx class is Blitzwing... and he's not really a tank.

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Man for something that has such an easy transformation, I really really want this guy.

8. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    If you don't mind a simple transformation, then don't pass on him!

9. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    Mine launches either way I have it. I still love these Ultra class toys!

10. Skyfire21

Skyfire21 A Challenger Approaches!

Ebay:
    I totally agree with this statement. I got one today and he's awesome.

11. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Looks kind of... Cheap.

Pass.

12. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    You got Megs or Silverbolt? They're both pretty awesome, so it's hard to tell which you meant.

I had another thought: With Prowl and Silverbolt out, all we need to have do is wait for Ironhide and we'll have Magnaboss!

13. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i like the head, has a slightly smiley g1 look. its not much more than a bot with plane kibble on his back but it looks like a transformer, more so than power glide or onslaught.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Simple or not, I think Silverbolt may be the Universe Ultra that I look forward to the most, in part because the alt mode helps to justify the size. (from what I can tell, the aircraft mode is sort of a fictional mash-up comprised of shapes from the original G1 Concorde mode, the SR-71, and a B-2 Bomber.

15. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I kinda got a XB-70 vibe from Silverbolt... It's not exact, but it's fairly close.

Either way, I'm looking forward to finding it. Looks pretty good.

16. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    That was their story at Botcon, but at SDCC it was different; they said that the choice (of making Galvatron small) wasn't really up to them (how could it NOT be?).

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't wait to chop him up.... *drools*

18. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    Chop?! You gonna mix him in with some carrots and potatoes and have some Silverbolt stew?

19. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    lol no, but he'll get mixed with some chopped up seekers ;) 

20. MetroBoy

MetroBoy Keeper of the Cheese

I think sometimes simpler is better. He looks awesome. Very faithful to the original, with enough modern updates to make him a standout in the line.

Still a little disapointed that Hasbro opted not to do any combiners. The picture kind of put an end to any speculation that there may have been ports for other figures to attach to.