Classics 2.0 & Animated toys you recommend.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Starscreamer95, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    Im currently into the Classics 2.0 & Animated toyline (great looking figures :) ) and was wondering what most of you would reccomend as good figures to purchase. Not only does it help me but it helps those who want to know the same thing. The 2.0 and Animated lines are great homeages to G1, which I (and Im sure thousands more) love.

I currently own:

Animated: Jazz, Soundwave, Ratchet

Classics 2.0: Tankor/Octane, Onslaught, Prowl

2. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Um....all of them

3. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    was gonna recommend classics 2.0 onslaught and animated jazz, but u got em both...
    so im gonna add to them...
    classics 2.0
    powerglide - love it, even though its not very cartoon accurate, its awesome..i prefer it over the henkei one coz if its this big, fully red looks dumb
    sunstreaker/sideswipe - great mold, very nice figures
    silverstreak - better deco than prowl
    acid storm - coz i love that seeker mold so much :D 
    silverbolt - awesome, very simple but so awesome
    and all the classcs 2.0 legends class figures...they rock

animated
    prowl - my favorite alogn with jazz
    blitzwing - my second favorite
    voyager prime - the best prime
    grimlock - very cool
    leader megs - better than voyager, a must have in any animated collection
    lugnut - awesome figure, superb transformation, both modes rock
    leader bulkhead - like it better than voyager bulky, mainly for size accuracy
    and leader ultra magnus - awesome figure

hope this helps, this is just my opinion though
    EDIT: and a tip about animated bumblebee - go for the activators - the deluxe one sucks, its my least favorite animated fig

4. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    Thanks! :)  Was thinking about Acid Storm (Dont we all love the Seeker mold :D ), both Sunstreaker and Sideswipe, Animated Grimlock (love him), Animated Megatron, Animated BB (thanks for the heads up! :) ) and Animated Blitzwing (I love the changing faces)

5. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    no prob...but i guarantee u, u'll end up getting most of them anyway...theyre such great lines :D 

6. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    From Animated:

Blitzwing. He's a great character in the cartoon, and just oozes personality in the toy.
    Lockdown. The amount of creepyness on him rocks, and since you have Ratchet, you can take his EMP and give it to the Medic.
    Dinobots. They're Dinobots, nuff said.
    Prowl. I love the ninja bot, though you may want to wait for the Armored Prowl coming out in a wave or two.
    Prime. Any of the Deluxe/Voyager sized Primes is worth it. I don't know about the Rollout Command one though.

Classics:

Honestly, the best of these that I have are the Deluxe sized guys. The larger ones are still cool, but don't seem to have the same bang for the buck as their smaller kin. And then the only Deluxe that I've had issue with so far is Ironhide, though that may just be a personal gripe.

7. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know it's not helpful to say "all of 'em", but I really have liked all the toys in both lines so far. (Well, new molds in Universe.) If I had to recommend a SINGLE toy from each line, right now it'd be Animated Shockwave and Universe Sideswipe.

:eek:  Shockwave didn't make your list? Did I order you the wrong toy?

8. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Universe\henkei Powerglide. Very solid jet mode, fantastic sculpted detail and very fun transformation. Robot mode is highly articulated but not stable enough.

Animated Dinobots. Grimlock is the best overall, but the other two are too fun to pass up. Of course, you have to master Snarl's transformation to appreciate him. Swoop is probably the easiest of the three to handle, all three are nicely articulated.

Animated Elite Guard. Magnus and Sentinel are both very nice figures. Magnus is full of stable and stiff ratchet joints and is very playable, Sentinel has a cool sparkle blue paintjob and is fun to transform, robot mode is imposing enough.

Animated Bumblebee is also very, very fun. I have the black version and love it to death, admittedly it has better paint apps and the colours of the plastic match better.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah all of them. Especially Animated Leader Megatron.

10. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My top 5 from both lines (in no particular order):

ANIMATED-

*Ultra Magnus. Truly spectacular mold.

*Prowl/Jazz. Both the ninja-bots are awesome, Prowl I think is slightly better because he's probably the first motorcycle-based TF that doesn't suffer in either mode.

*Lugnut, personal favorite. Tiny awesomeness.

*Grimlock, really awesome dino.

*Blackarachnia, because fem-bots are so rare. Lockdown's a contender for the top five too but got kicked down because of his hand defect.

Universe 2.0-

*Prowl/Silverstreak/Smokescreen, fantastic updates to some beloved characters.

*Sunstreaker/Sideswipe, more amazingly designed upgrades.

*Onslaught, great Decepticon mold. Very intimidating and great arsenal.

*Silverbolt, another personal favorite. I think he's great.

*Inferno, really well done and strongly recommended.

11. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    oh yeah, i forgot shockwave...i dont have him yet though, but i hear he's awesome...cant wait for him to hit retail here

12. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    QFT

13. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    personally from classics i especially like the seeker mould, the upcoming starscream looks very faithful to his g1 colour scheme, the toy looks great and has a satisfying and easily achieved transformation both ways. Sideswipe is another recommended toy who is well constructed but suffers from a slightly trickier TF back into car mode (theres quite a lot of the 'squeeze' into position rather than 'twist/fold' into position.

Animated, for some core figures i'd recommend voyager prime and grimlock (lugnut is my favourite voyager but not to everybodys taste). As for delux figures, you already have 3 of my favourites, as jazz and ratchet are rather standard type figures maybe try something with a rather different feel like swoop or even sentinel prime, some dont like SP but i really like his TF, its very clever, simple and satisfying.

14. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

Animated: Grimlock, Sentinal Prime, Blitzwing (Don't have Skywarp, Shockwave or Magnus yet).
    Universe: Silverstreak, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Treadbolt.

15. thundrwaveprime

thundrwaveprime the witch king

i recomend onslaught, sideswipe, and heavyload. i still need to pick up ironhide, cyclonus, and blaster.

16. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

For animated id recommend anything but lockdown. Universe Id recommend galvatron, sunstreaker, octane if you really want a triple changer. You cant go wrong with the seeker mold, Theres are the ones I have

17. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    I'd recommend StormCloud instead of Powerglide. The mold looks pretty dope in black. Everything everyone else said sounds good to me. :) 
    -G

18. Darth Rodimus

Darth Rodimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Universe:
    sunstreaker/sideswipe
    Ironhide
    Silverstreak
    Sliverbolt
    Powerglide
    Onslaught

Animated:
    Voyager Prime
    Leader Megs
    Leader Bulkhead
    Leader Magnus
    Sentinel Prime
    Prowl
    Bumblebee
    Shockwave
    Starscream/Skywarp
    Grimlock
    Snarl
    Swoop
    thats all.

19. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Despite his unpopularity, I actually really like Prowl. The Deluxe figures are all must-gets in my opinion. Onslaught, Treadbolt, Powerglide, and Silverbolt are the nicest larger figures I enjoy. Most of the Unicron Trilogy repaints I'm not so big on (Blaster... why oh why). That's just my opinion though.

For animated, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I think it's a really well-done series for toys. If you're on a budget, I'd probably stick with:

Leader Prime
    Voyager Bulkhead
    Bumblebee
    Ratchet
    Prowl
    Jazz
    All three Dinobots
    DEFINITELY Ultra Magnus

Leader Megatron
    Voyager Blitzwing
    Voyager Lugnut
    Voyager Starscream
    Black Arachnia
    Lockdown
    Soundwave

Keeping it core, at least. Though, the other stuff like Oil Slick is all worth consideration.

20. DieMaus

DieMaus is blawesome

News Credits:
    Since I don't collect Universe, I'll just share my opinions on those Animated toys I own that you don't already have; hopefully it'll help. :) 

Deluxes
    Bumblebee - Unspectacular, but resolutely solid. The vehicle mode is chunky, cute and accurate, but doesn't do a whole lot beyond that, even with the removable boosters; robot mode is marred by a few design kinks (cumbersome shoulders, stingers that don't fold in all the way, slightly overlarge head), but is otherwise pleasingly expressive and well-sculpted. It represents the character well, so if you're a fan, pick him up. 7/10
    Prowl - Undeniably one of the most impressively engineered toys in living memory, boasting lean, streamlined and flawlessly kibble-free robot and alt modes, but be warned of two key issues: firstly that his transformation is somewhat fussy and fiddly, which hampers his basic playability a little, and secondly that the quality control on this guy isn't great, which means that the joints on many Prowls are prohibitively loose. As long as you're OK with those little flaws (or are prepared to do a wee bit of work to fix them), then you'll be getting a mini-masterpiece of a toy. 8/10
    Snarl - I know a few people like this fella, but I've had difficulty really getting behind him; it's very tricky to get his transformation to look right, and even when you do, I just find him uninteresting and garish to look at, especially his overlarge and spartan-looking orange club weapon. He does have value as part of your Animated Dinobot team, but as a toy on its own he would have been an easy pass for me...sorry, Snarl fans. :tongue:  4/10
    Blackarachnia - The epitome of underrated, in my opinion. It's true that her spider mode doesn't really do very much for all its leg articulation possibilities, and the exposed robot mode hands are a downer, but it remains an striking-looking beastie; robot mode, meanwhile, has a few articulation issues, but is otherwise pleasingly curvaceous and well-detailed. Unique looking amongst Animated figures, she's definitely worth picking up. 7/10
    Lockdown - I've seen an alarming number of people cite this guy as a "bad" toy, and it's something I can't understand on any level; for me, Lockdown is one of the standout Animated Deluxes. Car mode is ferocious looking, if a little light on paint apps, whilst his robot mode is genuinely sinister, intimidating, and tall as heck; he feels like fantastic value for a Deluxe pricepoint. His EMP weapon, meanwhile, will not only interface nicely with the Ratchet you already own, it actually represents his best and most show-accurate weapon! And to top it all off: it's a plastic Lance Henriksen, for God's sake! What are you waiting for? :)  9/10

Voyagers
    Optimus Prime - The Optimus Prime toy to get. There are a lot of Optimuses available in this range, and they're all pretty strong figures, so my choice here really comes down to the little details: that he's the best-scaled Prime figure, that he boasts the most show-accurate features (Earth vehicle mode, retractable faceplate, an attempted "trailer"), and that he has an enjoyable little gravity-spin transformation gimmick. Sure, his axe is fairly unconvincing, and his posability could be a smidge better, but on balance Voyager Prime edges the choice. 8/10
    Bulkhead - The first Animated figure I owned, and to date, the only one I've sold. Don't get me wrong, on his own merits he's a nice, fun little toy with two solid modes and a pleasingly show-accurate wrecking ball gimmick, but his size issue is an absolute killer. It's not just that he's short, his scale in comparison to his colleagues is just all wrong: small stature, small alt mode, small head, arms, everything. In any other character, that mightn't be a deal-breaker, but for a character defined by his hulking size, it just doesn't work, and it really undermines the figure's personality. On his own, he wouldn't be too bad, but if you want to display him with any other regular-scaled Animated toys, he just doesn't work. 4/10
    Grimlock - "Me DieMaus liiike." This toy is Mr Personality, boasting a great blend of badass ferocity and goofy cuteness in both modes, which is ideal for Grimlock. His exposed bot head in dino mode is an issue, as is his slightly limited posability, but it's difficult to care when presented with such a winning G1 homage, and such a great toy in its own right. 8/10
    Lugnut - I just love this guy. Bomber mode is large, imposing yet pleasingly quirky; the transformation is one of the most enjoyable I can remember, with a really nifty Automorph; robot mode is hugely show-accurate, and brimming with character. Yes, he is a short bot, but unlike Voyager Bulkhead it doesn't bother me so much; maybe it's because Lugnut isn't as reliant on his size to define him as Bulkhead is, or maybe it's just because Voyager Lugnut is good enough to pull it off. Glorious! 8/10
    Blitzwing - This was my most anticipated figure of the line, so I guess it was inevitable that I'd end up somewhat disappointed, but he's still a solid toy for all his flaws. Once again, it's the classic Triple Changer curse of one mode being sacrificed in service of the other two; in Blitzwing's case, it's his jet mode, which can look OK from certain angles, but when placed under scrutiny reveals itself as the gappy, kibbly, loosely-held together mess that it is. Luckily his other modes compensate; tank mode is unorthodox, but is impressively neat and oddly cute, and his bot mode, whilst he can't pose as naturally as one might like, still looks the business. Certainly a must buy for a fan. 7/10
    Starscream - I love Screamer, and I love this toy. OK, jet mode isn't quite as sleek as you'd want, and his transformation's simplicity borders on TOO easy, but that robot mode... it positively drips with scheming, sarcastic malice. It's one of the most expressive encapsulations of a personality I've seen in a Transformer, with the sculpting and the posability simply dead-on. Hugely impressive. 9/10

Leader
    Bulkhead - Now, THIS is a Bulkhead you can believe in. Let's deal with the elephant in the room first: yes, the weapons are highly inaccurate, and it would have been nice if they were removable, but honestly they're well-made enough, and fun enough to fool around with. Those aside, Leader Bulkhead blows Voyager out of the water for accuracy; the head sculpt, feet, chest and shoulder panels are all notably superior on the big Bulkhead, and when you factor in his size, he really becomes the only choice for this character. The well-done voice and Headmaster gimmicks are the icing on the cake. Go buy! 9/10
    Megatron - A real beast of a figure, plain and simple; it's chunky, hefty, intimidating, superbly full-featured in both modes and nothing less than phenomenally show-accurate at all times. Like Grimlock, he also pulls off the neat trick of being a fantastic G1 homage whilst maintaining a striking personality all of his own. If I had any complaints, it would be that he's maybe a bit too solid; his heft can make it quite a bit of work to hold and transform him, which could count against him if you're the kind who likes to tinker. Otherwise, damn near flawless. 9/10

...wow, I certainly ended up writing more than I had intended there. Ah well, I had fun doing it; hope it was useful/interesting to somebody. :p