Minor/Repaint: Classic/Universe Galvatron Custom

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Grimlock25, May 16, 2010.

1. Grimlock25

Grimlock25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I'm new to the whole customs thing. I've been experimenting in the past week and I thought I would make a replacement for my crappy Universe Galvatron.
    Image0123.jpg

First, I used an Armada Megatron body to start off with. I thought to keep with tradition I would keep the tank alt mode, but wanted something with bite.
    Image0125.jpg
    Second, I took the cannon from Universe Galvatron, and glued on a minicon port from an extra minicon i had. Easy to attach, plus serves as a secondary cannon in tank mode.
    Image0124.jpg
    Third I made the "claws" for his helmet with foam. This part was the biggest pain, I hope I have done it justice.
    Image0127.jpg
    Next, I used Kryon purple wood/craft paint to give it more galvatron paint scheme. I wanted to give it a bit of a G2 megatron homage, so in tank mode the front half is still green, the turret area is a mix of green and purple spray camo and the back half is all purple so he could retain his purple legs. Please excuse the blurriness.
    Image0128.jpg Image0129.jpg
    I'm thinking of possible putting some red in his belly area to give him more of a G1 look, but I might leave it. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Anyways, please share your thoughts. I would love feedback. Thanks!

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Nice work! I think you did a great job considering you're fairly new to all of this, as you said. I think the only things I can offer might be to get or build a larger arm cannon. The one you're using looks good, it's just a bit on the small side. Also, you may want to do the horns in something like styrene or plastic pieces of some sort. The way you did the horns looks great, but since they're done with foam, they could possibly break off easier. As for the foam, are we talking something like foam board? Or styrofoam or something?

Overall, nice work! I'd say add some red like you mentioned. Looking forward to seeing some alt mode pics (as well as more pics of this). Keep up the great work!

3. Grimlock25

News Credits:
    Added more pics.

I used a foam board to make the horns. I made them foam because I didn't want to take a chance breaking them until I could find something different.

Yeah I agree with the cannon being on the small side, but I think it works, I would use the G1 but I think it would look a bit goofy on him.

Anyways, thanks for the kind words!

4. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    He could definetly benefit from a bigger cannon IMO. And I can see the red on the belly working. But otherwise great job.

5. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I gotta say, after seeing the other pics, I really like the green that is still in this. It does give you that G2 Megatron-upgrade to Galvatron feel. The cannon does work pretty well. There are some Bic pens and large Sharpies that have the size and shape that might help. I think the G1 Galvatron cannon could look good on this. Or maybe even try to use the cannon on his hip as the arm cannon or something.

I still think it's great as-is though. The horns look good from the foam board. Again, great work on this, man.

6. Grimlock25

News Credits:
    Thanks again for the kind words. Yeah I really dig the G2ness of it myself (HEY BOTCON, YOU SEEING THIS? NO NEON PUKE COLORS HERE! LOL). I might go the Sharpie route on the cannon, but I will have to wait until this weekend until any Cannon mods, duty calls you know.