Classic/Universe collectors: MP Hotrod or Fansproject Hotrod?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JazzEd, Oct 25, 2010.

1. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

My main focus is collecting the Classics/Universe line and got to thinking; I can only really afford one of the Hotrods coming out. Either MP Hotrod or FansProject's. I'm really digging the Tak/Tom MP Roddy a little more then FP's but I feel it might be out place in the classics line. Sure, it's not a Classics/Uni but neither was Grimlock and I think he fits perfectly.

My question is; if you could only get one, who would it be?

2. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

If you already have a classics Hot Rod, the FP upgrade is cheaper, and the FP triggermaster toy will add to the playability. There will not be a US release of Hot Rod with the trailer, so FP might be the least expensive way to get a modern Rodimus Prime. If you're looking for value, I think the FP upgrade has the edge, but Masterpiece will undoubtedly have the superior quality. So it depends what you're looking for, and if price is an obstacle.

3. SaberBurst

SaberBurst Guardian

I would personally get FP Protector because I just prefer him over the MP but don't get me wrong, I really do like the sculpting on the figure (judging from the pics). And, the FP upgrade is cheaper for me.

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Takara Masterpiece Rodimus Prime:thumbs2: .

I'm just a MP lover and its the line i'll probably ride off into the sunset with when my collecting days are over:2c: 

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    for a classics collection? FP's hands down, mp rodimus would be way too big

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fansproject's now for your Classics collection, Hasbro's Hot Rod later for funsies.

7. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Mp Rodimus!

8. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

I'd have Classics Hot Rod + upgrades.Seriously,IMO,MP Hot Rod looks too humane & in a way,rather doll-ish.

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Id suggest FP's for right now. The MP will be a lot easier to obtain on the secondary market.

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I'm going MP and passing on FP. I just can't get into either the Protector or Classics Rodimus. Something about the design has always seemed not quite right.

11. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    for classics collection, get protector

for in general, masterpiece, that thing is TEH SEX!

12. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

You're an MP lover and collector. The original poster is a CHUG collector ("Say no to CHUG" group - b * * e me).

You're post is not helpful, as it doesn't take his question in consideration - how will MP Rod mesh with classics figures?

@JazzEd:

While MP Rod is an awesome figure, why would you even consider getting him for your classics collection? He's too big. He will stick out like a t*rd in a punch bowl. Even MP Grimlock is out of scale when compared to classics figures.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    He asks at the end, if you could only get one, which would it be.

Chris answered that.

14. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

He also talked about MP Rod mixing with his classics/henkei/universe/generations collection.

15. jksit1

jksit1 The Chosen One

As much as I would like MP RP to fit in my Classics Universe line, I don't think it will look right. I still want it though and will plan to buy this and the Protector upgrade. I am planning on getting the PP01 Prime as he will fit in better with this version of Rodimus Prime and MP Grimlock. Hopefully the Ultra Magnus trailor that igear are planning on will be good enough to complete my group of leaders. As for the classics line, I would keep protector for now and hope that Has\Tek will provide us with a good voyager class RP for this line...PLEASE!!! :cry 

16. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Well its inconsistent scale throughout fiction. But one of the draws of MP grimlock was being a dinobot significantly larger than voyager Prime yet smaller than Masterpiece Prime. Hits a pretty good 84' Ark autobots display angle for some fans.

This is probably where the MP rodimus becomes a issue. Clearly you might want another Masterpiece to go with grimlock, but unless your collecting alternators and other masterpiece figures already like the seekers and primes MP rodimus just is'nt the best choice for a classics, Universe, Henkei, Generations, and Reveal the Shield focused collection.

17. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

For the classics line-up it's a no-brainer. Has to be FP Protector.

But I'll be getting both as I also collect Masterpieces.

18. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

The Masterpiece wouldn't be scaled right to go with a Classics collection so with that in mind the Protector set would be the best bet.

I have a similar choice to make and am going for the Masterpiece as I want a perfect version of G1 Hot Rod...........I never saw any of the cartoon episodes with Rodimus as Autobot leader so I don't really identify with him the same way I do Optimus Prime who along with Ultra Magnus represent the "leader" characters in my Classics Autobot lineup which is the bulk of my collection.

I am getting FansProject's Targetmaster though as if it's one thing Classics/Henkei Hot Rod needs it's a new weapon.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    personally I prefer fansproject. its more modern and updated design of hotrodimus

20. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Going for the MP.