Classic Transformers - an article looking at 90s era Oldies but Goldies

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Hey guys,

This week's Source Article has had to go up on Thursday instead of Tuesday due to a string of recurring and ongoing Internet connection problems for me, so I've used every resource I can get my hands on to make this week's article available!

I've always had a soft spot for the gold boxed G1 Classics even when most turn their noses up at them, but there are just so many fine details to this area of TFs that I always figured it would be too easy to trip up and get something important wrong. I think I've done ok with this one though, tried not to make it definitive, just covering some of the more interesting facts and figures of the line. I hope it changes a few minds :) 

Oldies but Goldies: Classic Transformers | TF Source News

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Didn't realise they were disliked in any way. Personally I was very thankful for them when they came out as it gave me a second chance to pick up certain characters I'd missed back when I was much younger.

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, those photos bring a lot of nostalgia for me.

Great article, but I've never noticed any great dislike for these? If there is any, I suspect it's because the Americans didn't get 'em and a lot of US fans tend to be (perhaps understandably) US-centric in their outlook of TFs.

But these were great. I remember when I first saw them advertised on the back page of the Transformers comic - just sheer giddiness that the originals were coming back!

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    If anything, I prefer these gold boxes to the 1984 ones. The 1988 boxes will always remain the best, though.

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Pincher came in the gold packaging. I remember thinking, back then, that it looked cheap and like something from k-mart (which was made fun of for it's genericness back then). Clashing colors still don't work for me to this day. Still, I enjoy these tfsource articles a lot.

6. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Nice article once more, and I love the gold boxed Classics! I have quite a few of them MISB, mostly of the Spanish ones, but they are great for having pristine (non-KO!) versions of the original molds. Amongst others, I was able to find never again released molds like Sandstorm, Springer, Octane, Sludge and Snarl MISB for reasonable prices in these versions.

As stated, they can be relatively cheap compared to original 1984-1985 boxes, but not easy to find (even in Europe)! I'm still looking for a relatively affordable MISB Classics Wheeljack...

7. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Updated article with a few more images of Multilingual Tracks and Spanish carded Protectobots.

All the best
    Maz

8. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    My sentiments exactly, seeing that Sunstreaker in Cyprus in 1991 felt like a second chance at childhood, and I'm eternally grateful my parents caved :D 

I did notice that the feet were noticeably looser as was the backplate compared to Diaclone and vintage G1 Sunstreaker, so maybe the mould degredation had already begun.

I just dislike the lack of any text on most of the Spanish boxes, and I love the fact that the UK versions say "Classic" on them, probably a nostalgia thing again (isn't it always?).

I don't think there is such a thing as a cheap MISB Wheeljack Classic any more, Spanish or otherwise. Even Tracks and Inferno in UK packaging were going for near £100 GBP ($170 approx) and they're a bit more common.

All the best
    Maz

9. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do agree with the view that if you consider Americans the majority of TF fans/collectors, that the reason these gold boxes are not necessarily as popular is simply because we never got them over here. Personally, I wouldn't have an interest in these, not because I feel they're inferior, but simply because to me, Transformers came in black boxes with red/purple grids on them. I'm not even a big fan of the later pretender releases (at least in box that is) that came in the gold packaging, even though i have a few.

Definitely an interesting read though. I hadn't realized so many of these were released in this packaging.

10. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes we did.